SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Regarding the student loans, the federally subsidized loans are the loans that do not accrue interest while in deferment  not the unsubsidized loan.  And they are available to grad students; I have a Master's in Music, and have a bit of subsidized loans left over from that.  I think the 10 year payment plan is for suckers; SLPs should make enough $ where we can pay 3x the minimum monthly payment, and be debt free within a few years of graduation.  Remember, federal loans, subsidized or not, still have a 6.8% interest rate.  That can really add up.  Things like new cars, homes, vacations should be put on hold for a few years.  Delayed gratification!     

Yeah, and when it comes to loan debt for me, I think the point you made about SLP salary (and related high job placement) is really important.

I would be far more stressed about the financial side of this process if the job outlook weren't so strong.

What is the average SLP salary? I keep getting a wide range when I look it up, from $25,000-$80,000.

And while I do think it should be relatively easy to pay loans back if you're frugal, it also depends how much in loans you have for undergrad and how expensive your grad program is.

What is the average SLP salary? I keep getting a wide range when I look it up, from $25,000-$80,000.

And while I do think it should be relatively easy to pay loans back if you're frugal, it also depends how much in loans you have for undergrad and how expensive your grad program is.

This ASHA page has some PDFs that detail school-based and healthcare-based SLP salaries: http://www.asha.org/careers/professions/slp.htm

And I definitely understand anyone who's worried about incurring debt, especially an exorbitant amount. I'm just glad that job placement rates are able to temper some of my own worries because school's stressful enough as it is!

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally heard from some of the schools. The process is intriguing. I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from their schools and notices if there is any rhyme or reason? 

And how important (do you think) are the ratings (according to U.S. News)?

I have finally heard from some of the schools. The process is intriguing. I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from their schools and notices if there is any rhyme or reason?

And how important (do you think) are the ratings (according to U.S. News)?

I seems there is no prescribed order for hearing back from schools, unfortunately. There are many still waiting to hear in the SLP discussion forum.

As far as an opinion on US News, I don't put stock in it whatsoever. According to some professors I have heard from on the issue, both in SLP and in other fields, the method of obtaining results /survey methods are flawed and don't really represent success rates of graduates, research activity, or graduate preparedness for SLP like one would desire. There are many ranking "arms" out there, and if you see a name of a university consistenty in the top 25 on all ranking systems, then you probably are looking at a top program. As an example of one discrepancy, one university where I applied is in the top 10 for research with the chronicle of higher ed, but is in the top 130's in US News. They also have 100% employment rates and praxis pass rates. Look for those kinds of stats to give you an idea of the programs you are considering. In addition, whatever interests you might have for a thesis or project would be better matched at a school with professors who are researching those areas. Since SLP programs don't have a huge number of professors in general, you really need to scour the university's websites and professor profiles, as well as recent publications. All this goes to find out your best fit.

We have a HUGE thread for 2013 applicants, join us over there! :-)

Edited by kcald716

I think most make about 50k-60k, at least that's from what I have researched. 

I think most make about 50k-60k, at least that's from what I have researched. 

To la912- I see that you applpied to Valdosta. I have too! Have you heard anything when we are to hear from them? My app status justs says "Departmental Review Pending" it is driving me crazy !

What are everyone's thoughts on UW's post-baccalaureate SLP program? 

How much does it increase your chances of getting into a preferred school, especially in California, for masters?

(And why doesn't USU's 2nd degree have a good reputation? Has anyone been accepted by completing all the pre-reqs/leveling coursework form USU into a CA school?)

UW's postbac program is pretty competitive. But it will prepare you well. I am a product of it and while grad school is very stressful, I feel like UWs program prepared me pretty well. The thing with UWs program is that a) it is well known (the grad program is ranked # 3 in the country) and B) you get a second bachelors degree out of it. While that sounds a bit (okay is a bit) insane it allows you to apply to ANY school in the country. It also means that you have a higher starting salary in a lot of school districts should you go that route (you will have almost 70 additional credits and many districts pay you more for that). When I applied the first time I applied to 3 year programs (including some SJSU and SFSU) and to postbac programs. I got in to all but one of the postbac programs and none of the extended masters programs. Granted I did not have as much experience as you. If you can afford it, applying to a few postbac programs is not a bad idea. Portland State's post bac is non-competitive (you apply you get in). Or at least it was when I applied in 2010. Good luck!

Hi NorcalSLP!

Yay, so glad to hear from someone that is product of UW's postbac program! I have a few questions for you:

What has been the outcome for you from that program? (Did you feel that it has helped you to get into a preferred 2 year grad program?)

How was the postbac program itself? Were you able to work part-time while maintaining a decent GPA? Or was it difficult to maintain a decent GPA at all? 

How was life in Seattle for you? Were you able to enjoy Seattle during the program? 

I would love to hear more about your time there!

Hi NorcalSLP!

Yay, so glad to hear from someone that is product of UW's postbac program! I have a few questions for you:

What has been the outcome for you from that program? (Did you feel that it has helped you to get into a preferred 2 year grad program?)

How was the postbac program itself? Were you able to work part-time while maintaining a decent GPA? Or was it difficult to maintain a decent GPA at all? 

How was life in Seattle for you? Were you able to enjoy Seattle during the program? 

I would love to hear more about your time there!

I just wanted to weigh in on USU's reputation. I am just about to graduate from USU's post bac program. Overall I would rank my experience with them as excellent. I loved the flexibility of doing it online so I could also work full time. Many people have mentioned feeling prepared for grad school, and I would have to agree. I also had a lot of success getting accepted to multiple programs, including a few ranked in the top 5. In fact, I am lucky to feel overwhelmed with trying to choose from the numerous great offers I have received. I have also heard fantastic things about UW's program, but I think USU is significantly cheaper (9,000 total), and it doesn't require you to re-locate. Clearly this process is quite pricey, so I was happy to save a little $. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure you will be successful no matter where you choose.  Good luck with your next step!

I just wanted to weigh in on USU's reputation. I am just about to graduate from USU's post bac program. Overall I would rank my experience with them as excellent. I loved the flexibility of doing it online so I could also work full time. Many people have mentioned feeling prepared for grad school, and I would have to agree. I also had a lot of success getting accepted to multiple programs, including a few ranked in the top 5. In fact, I am lucky to feel overwhelmed with trying to choose from the numerous great offers I have received. I have also heard fantastic things about UW's program, but I think USU is significantly cheaper (9,000 total), and it doesn't require you to re-locate. Clearly this process is quite pricey, so I was happy to save a little $. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure you will be successful no matter where you choose.  Good luck with your next step!

Hi whippersnapper,

That's great! Congratulations on getting admitted into grad school! Which school have you decided to go to? And can you tell me a little about what kind of background or work experience you had that helped you get in? I don't want to seem nosy but I feel the process has been a little nebulous... I have been so far rejected from local state schools (SJSU, CSUEB) and accepted into SDSU (extended masters) and UW (just post-bac). Puzzled...

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about this program?  I would love to go here but do not know much about the program.  Do they offer internships out of state?

Does anyone know anything about this program?  I would love to go here but do not know much about the program.  Do they offer internships out of state?

Which SLP / CSD program are you talking about?  I'm sure there are people who can give you some insight! :-)

Having a bit of a heart attack tonight! I just signed up for two classe at Utah State University online and bought the books which wer $350 and the tuition was $1800. I thought I was all set and then tonight I'm looking at asha EdFind and see that Utah masters is ASHA accred. But don't say anything about distance education. Do you think this matters? I'm totally freaking out. I know longwood is for sure but there tuition is three times more expensive. I just want to give up right now. This is so stressful. I didn't get in to anything this yer again and now this.

Having a bit of a heart attack tonight! I just signed up for two classe at Utah State University online and bought the books which wer $350 and the tuition was $1800. I thought I was all set and then tonight I'm looking at asha EdFind and see that Utah masters is ASHA accred. But don't say anything about distance education. Do you think this matters? I'm totally freaking out. I know longwood is for sure but there tuition is three times more expensive. I just want to give up right now. This is so stressful. I didn't get in to anything this yer again and now this.

I would call and ask. I'm taking a course at ENMU this summer, and it says that distance education is accredited on EdFind. I'm not sue if it makes a difference, but it's important to ask!

I'm taking classes at USU this summer as well as part of the 5 pre-reqs I need to begin my program this fall...from what I was told, while most universities prefer the program in which your taking the classes/pre-reqs be ASHA accredited, they don't necessarily have to be.  The classes offered online are taught by the same professors on campus I believe, so I don't think you have anything to worry about honestly, but I would check with your program just in case.  Additionally, I'm assuming the classes you're taking are undergraduate level and not graduate...their graduate program isn't offered online I don't think which would explain the lack of EdFind saying anything about distance education for their masters program.

This ASHA page has some PDFs that detail school-based and healthcare-based SLP salaries: http://www.asha.org/careers/professions/slp.htm'>http://www.asha.org/careers/professions/slp.htm   And I definitely understand anyone who's worried about incurring debt, especially an exorbitant amount. I'm just glad that job placement rates are able to temper some of my own worries because school's stressful enough as it is!
Be aware that in Miami I see a trend in offering hourly vs salary. $45+/ hr (ranges based on skills, years of experience).

Ugh, still waiting... I'm more perturbed that there hasn't been any activity on the results board. This limbo is making it really hard to make decisions about daycare, preschool, etc. for next year!

• 2 months later...

Can anyone give me any advice or info on transferring Prerequisites from USU online program to Cal State Schools? Has anyone done this? Which California schools accept them? I'm mostly interested in Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, or Cal State San Marcos. I won't be interested in any private or expensive schools. I need one of these schools because they are closest to my home and I have a baby. Does anyone know if I would have to take additional Prerequisites? 

Also, can anyone tell me about the Cal State Northridge online program? How can you afford it? I added up the costs and it would be $90,000 if I took my prerequisites and completed the SLP program. The SLP program would be like $70,000 without prerequisites  :-( Can you even qualify for government loans at that price?

USU's classes will definitely transfer. Northridge actually suggests them as an option. Each college has it's own list of classes that it requires. San Marcos has an extra long list of classes to take, and hoops to jump through. You might want to do the 2nd bachelors option, just incase (I did this option to cover all bases). I'm going to graduate school in the fall. You can PM me with more questions.

Hi all.  Firstly, I'm new to this forum and am really getting a lot out of reading your posts!  Granted, I'm also learning how incredibly difficult it is to get into a Masters SLP program- regardless of your GPA etc.  That being said, I'm actually at the very beginning of this process. And I'm trying to decide which of the following three post bacc programs to do (I was accepted into each):

• CSULA residential- cohort format, p/t over two years, on the quarter system, 14 classes total
  • CSUN online- cohort format (guaranteed class enrollment) p/t over two years, semester system, 10 classes total
  • CSUN residential- NOT cohort format (and therefore no guarantee of class enrollment) p/t over two years, semester system, 10 classes total

I ultimately want to work with adults- neurological/stroke, as well as possibly voice clients.  Meanwhile, it sounds like wherever you do your post-bacc program in California is where you have the best chance of being accepted into a Masters program (assuming you get a high enough GPA).

I'm a very kinesthetic learner- love being in a live classroom and having the opportunity to ask questions directly to the instructor, to interact with fellow students, etc.  Hence taking these classes online terrifies me.  BUT CSUN's residential Pre-CDS program sounds like a royal pain in the ass (in that you aren't guaranteed classes, are given second priority to full time undergrad students, etc).  CSULA's residential Pre-CDS program sounds better in that you are ensured enrollment into all of your classes, and they seem to truly care about the success of their students.  However, there are more classes to take- and their Masters program is apparently more geared toward schools than adults/hospitals. 

More about me:  professional singer also with a strong background in social services.  B.A. in Anthropology 3.65 overall GPA.  MSc in Int'l Public Health Policy (from London School of Economics, so no U.S. GPA).  Torn!!

Thanks for any input on this- as I have to make my final decision (and initial payment) SOON! :-)

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

I just took my GRE for the first time today, and I took it without studying at all.  I only got a 148 V/ 150 Q still waiting my writing.  I was pleased to get these scores without opening a book, and I am starting to study tonight for the next time I take it.  I have a 4.0 in my undergraduate course work at the University of Alabama where I am majoring in "Pre-Communicative disorders".  I would love to go to Dallas, so I am applying to 

UT-Dallas and TCU.  Of course I am applying elsewhere, but will any of the people who got accepted to the Dallas schools let me know what kind of GRE they are looking for?

Thanks so much!