SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

WWHHAaaattttttt?!?! Oh my. :o

Ok, so now I'm getting even more worried about things....

Same thing happened last year with Portland State. 370 applicants for about 30 openings. In addition to economy, I think a lot of it has to do with geography. The Northwest only has a few programs, so when people in that area apply, they apply mainly to just those schools. The programs in cities (Portland and Seattle) get very high numbers of applicants because they are drawing more change-of-career people who are already established in those areas.

I check my email far too much for my own good (but that's just me being me, not due to grad schools) and I have started checking my mailbox every day (usually I go 2+ weeks since I hardly get mail anyway). I check Gradcafe usually once or twice daily. I have been looking at the UNC website since someone got their decision back. :unsure:

I've been checking the UNC site multiple times a day, except its down right now for maintenance and it's driving me crazy!!

Also... that UW news makes me really nervous too!! Anyone think they would accept a few extra people because of so many applications?

I've been checking the UNC site multiple times a day, except its down right now for maintenance and it's driving me crazy!!

Also... that UW news makes me really nervous too!! Anyone think they would accept a few extra people because of so many applications?

Meeeeeee tooooooo (to the UNC site comment). Is it just me or has their site had HORRIBLE problems this app season. When I was filling out the academic background info (with all my prereq class info, etc), it decided to have an error just after I spent 20 minutes perfecting everything. GUH. I was not happy.

I can only imagine how hilarious (or crazy) the admissions people think we are if they can view how many times each person logs in to their account.

Edit: I've also chomped off all of my fingernails while constantly refreshing the results page on this site.

Edited by squaresquared

Meeeeeee tooooooo (to the UNC site comment). Is it just me or has their site had HORRIBLE problems this app season. When I was filling out the academic background info (with all my prereq class info, etc), it decided to have an error just after I spent 20 minutes perfecting everything. GUH. I was not happy.

I kept getting errors too! Mine was when I was filling out the honors/award section, I called the UNC help desk for 20 minutes and they couldn't even figure out the problem!! Also, one of my recs was just sent to the dept because my professor couldn't upload it!

Lets hope all this down time means they are uploading all the decisions!

I can only imagine how hilarious (or crazy) the admissions people think we are if they can view how many times each person logs in to their account.

Edit: I've also chomped off all of my fingernails while constantly refreshing the results page on this site.

haha right?! as I type this sentence I am wincing because my fingertips are so sore. This is SICK.

I'm waiting to UW too, but I'm a student there currently (undergrad) and apparently 400 people applied this year, which is completely unprecedented. Yeouch.

I'm applying to the Core SLP program at UW (and at PSU where I suspect the number of applicants will be just as high). I am officially terrified.

Does anyone know how many people who are offered the admission interview are actually accepted to NYU?

I think UW is becoming the school I want but know I can't have. Oh.... my heart, it hurts... so do my nailbeds.

Does anyone know how many people who are offered the admission interview are actually accepted to NYU?

I think UW is becoming the school I want but know I can't have. Oh.... my heart, it hurts... so do my nailbeds.

Ugh...Vanderbilt is that school for me. Right before the deadline they sent out an email checklist with everything that I hadn't turned in for their application yet. The last sentence of it was something like, "Please be patient when waiting for a response if you contact us, as we have over 400 applicants this year and would like to give the utmost attention to each one." :unsure:

Just out of curiosity -- have people on here been checking their statuses on the school websites, or have you been mainly relying on postal mail/email/gradcafe for your updates? I really haven't been checking on the actual school websites, so I'd be interested to know what others have been doing!

I've been checking school websites probably once a day, but relying a lot of the results board on here. I haven't heard anything yet, but seems to be pretty normal based on what I saw from last years feedback. The number of applicants does intimidate me. I knew going in that there were very few spots for a lot of applicants. Good luck everyone!

I'm worried about my application materials not all being there for the schools I applied to. I've dealt with one situation a couple weeks ago and now I am dealing with another! I guess the upside is that the departments have contacted me to check in on the materials, rather than just outright rejecting me for an incomplete application.

This process is so stressful!!

I GOT INTO UNC-CHAPEL HILL!! I had a missed call on my phone while I was at work, came home quickly checked the computer, saw the acceptance and immediately called the professor back! YAY

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO EXCITING! goodwork!

I think this news has given me heart palpitations haha!!

Edited by squaresquared

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO EXCITING! goodwork!

I think this news has given me heart palpitations haha!!

Oh my gosh that is AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!!!! :D I hope we all have some good news to share soon! Go have a drink and CELEBRATE!

I'm thinking that next week will be the week where we start hearing back from the majority of schools, at least it seems this way from last years results. I kind of dread coming home after work to see if there is a letter waiting for me in the mail. I want to know, but I don't want to know. I think this is the most terrifying experience I've ever had! :blink:

I'm thinking that next week will be the week where we start hearing back from the majority of schools, at least it seems this way from last years results. I kind of dread coming home after work to see if there is a letter waiting for me in the mail. I want to know, but I don't want to know. I think this is the most terrifying experience I've ever had! :blink:

That's what I'm thinking too.

U of Arizona sent an e-mail saying mid-March, but that is the only one I know of that has given a time frame. I'm a little worried about Northwestern because from last years responses, some people heard really early, while others didn't hear until the end of March!

and Thanks everyone!

Congratulations! Crossing my fingers that I get good news from them soon too. :)

I'm crossing my fingers for you too!

Edited by SLP_419

I'm crossing my fingers for you too!

Much appreciated! My anxiety about the wait for responses has been temporarily displaced by my anxiety about my pediatric aural rehabilitation case study write-ups, due tomorrow at 7AM (before our field trip to an oral school and a school for the deaf--something to look forward to :)).

I GOT INTO UNC-CHAPEL HILL!! I had a missed call on my phone while I was at work, came home quickly checked the computer, saw the acceptance and immediately called the professor back! YAY

CONGRATS!! Do you mind me asking, are you an out of field applicant? Just curious. I've read a lot on here and from the past responses I've come across, it seems as if they take very few out of field applicants.

CONGRATS!! Do you mind me asking, are you an out of field applicant? Just curious. I've read a lot on here and from the past responses I've come across, it seems as if they take very few out of field applicants.

I'm an in-field applicant. I've also seen that few out-of-field applicants are accepted, but I think it's only if they don't have the prerequisites finished...Do you have those?

Mscongeniality1 - that field trip sounds awesome!

For UNC, all but 2. I'm still working full time, so the plan was if I got in, to take them in the summer before. But, I know that they are an outstanding program, with lots of applicants, so I'm sure they have plenty of out of fields applications that are all done. CONGRATS AGAIN!