Was it too soon to apply for jobs?

closetgeek

So I've applied to grad school for computer science. I want to get a PhD with an emphasis in robotics or AI. Last week, out of nowhere, I got nervous that I wouldn't get accepted anywhere so I went to career builder and posted my resume, then I applied to a whole bunch of jobs. I also applied to some jobs through my school's career website. My friends that have graduated used to tell me that it took forever to hear back from employers, if they heard back at all. But surprisingly, I've gotten a lot of emails asking for interviews. I was expecting these to come after grad school decisions! My timing was waaaay off.. If I got a super good job offer, I'm not even sure if I would want to go straight to grad school. But if I got into a good grad school..well I'm getting my PhD for a reason. Should I tell these companies in the interview that I'm interested in grad school? Should I even interview so soon? Should I pull my resume and post it up later?? I feel so weird..I was sure I wanted to go to grad school, but the idea of working kind of intrigues me now :/

So I've applied to grad school for computer science. I want to get a PhD with an emphasis in robotics or AI. Last week, out of nowhere, I got nervous that I wouldn't get accepted anywhere so I went to career builder and posted my resume, then I applied to a whole bunch of jobs. I also applied to some jobs through my school's career website. My friends that have graduated used to tell me that it took forever to hear back from employers, if they heard back at all. But surprisingly, I've gotten a lot of emails asking for interviews. I was expecting these to come after grad school decisions! My timing was waaaay off.. If I got a super good job offer, I'm not even sure if I would want to go straight to grad school. But if I got into a good grad school..well I'm getting my PhD for a reason. Should I tell these companies in the interview that I'm interested in grad school? Should I even interview so soon? Should I pull my resume and post it up later?? I feel so weird..I was sure I wanted to go to grad school, but the idea of working kind of intrigues me now :/

I don't know how quickly computer science companies do job searches, but in my experience getting a job offer can take anywhere from about 2 - 4 months depending on how long the process is (i.e. are their multiple interviews, how many people are interviewing you and how busy their schedules are, what time of year it is, etc). It may seem like they are moving quickly-- but do not be surprised if the process begins to slow down. I suspect this initial request for interviews may be a screening.

I would not tell them that you have applied to grad school because you really don't know what the outcome is and personally I don't think it is any of their business. It also may come across as you are not that vested in the job search and they may hesitate to recommend you for the position. You also don't have enough information to decide whether the job or grad school will be better for you at this point because you don't have all the details. You may decide that after getting the offer that the salary or benefits are not that great - or- the job responsibilities or office culture do not appeal to you. I would suggest, however, to ask what their timeline is for decisions so you will know roughly when they hope to fill the position. Lots of luck!

Luck?!?!????? As if he/she needs luck!!! :o

I don't even know how to fathom the OP I've just read. Am I swimming through some surreal, fantastical, pseudo-hallucinatory waking dream, here? Am I stuck inside a Salvador Dali painting? ....Or evidently I should have tortured myself and taken more SAS and statistics classes during my 3.5 years of grad school.

Umm, yeah, sorry closetgeek. I really wish I had some words of wisdom to help you with your little "dilemma," but I'm too busy trying to sort through this most amusing scenario as someone sitting on the other side of the fence.

Edited by mlle

....Or evidently I should have tortured myself and taken more SAS and statistics classes during my 3.5 years of grad school.

Well probably not if you describe it as "torture" and then you could wind up in a job that you dislike. Granted I know that having any job is better than having no job, but I still have hope that you'll find something.

I do have to say that I love statistics but I realize that most people do not feel that way!

I don't know how quickly computer science companies do job searches, but in my experience getting a job offer can take anywhere from about 2 - 4 months depending on how long the process is (i.e. are their multiple interviews, how many people are interviewing you and how busy their schedules are, what time of year it is, etc). It may seem like they are moving quickly-- but do not be surprised if the process begins to slow down. I suspect this initial request for interviews may be a screening.

I would not tell them that you have applied to grad school because you really don't know what the outcome is and personally I don't think it is any of their business. It also may come across as you are not that vested in the job search and they may hesitate to recommend you for the position. You also don't have enough information to decide whether the job or grad school will be better for you at this point because you don't have all the details. You may decide that after getting the offer that the salary or benefits are not that great - or- the job responsibilities or office culture do not appeal to you. I would suggest, however, to ask what their timeline is for decisions so you will know roughly when they hope to fill the position. Lots of luck!

Thanks ZeChocMoose. I think you're right that the process will slow down. I didn't actually think about multiple interviews and the fact that I probably wouldn't be interviewed right away :). Thanks for the advice! And I'll keep my grad school info to myself! :)

Luck?!?!????? As if he/she needs luck!!! :o

I don't even know how to fathom the OP I've just read. Am I swimming through some surreal, fantastical, pseudo-hallucinatory waking dream, here? Am I stuck inside a Salvador Dali painting? ....Or evidently I should have tortured myself and taken more SAS and statistics classes during my 3.5 years of grad school.

Umm, yeah, sorry closetgeek. I really wish I had some words of wisdom to help you with your little "dilemma," but I'm too busy trying to sort through this most amusing scenario as someone sitting on the other side of the fence.

ah, sorry mlle. I know the situation isn't actually serious, I just wanted some input on it..Good luck with everything!

Closetgeek,

Unfortunately, you need to do both simultaneously if you want all of your bases to be covered. I applied to one PhD program last year with somewhat awful materials because I didn't have much time to work on my SoP and writing samples while trying to finish my 200 page thesis on time. (If you can't tell, time management for research has always been a problem for me). The month after I submitted my PhD materials, I started applying for jobs--part time jobs because I knew I would accept a PhD offer if I was lucky enough to receive one or I'd be spending the next year preparing for the next application season and hoping to get in fall 2011. Well, the latter materialized, so in February, I suddenly found myself graduating with a masters in three months and with no job prospects. I peppered the job market with even more applications and actual started interviewing during school. I had a bit different problem. I knew early on that I was wait listed for the PhD program but unlikely to get in. My problem was that some jobs might want me to start before I'd actually graduated and completed my TAship.

Balancing these issues is very delicate, but you should be upfront with people about deadlines. You don't have to tell perspective employers that you want to attend a PhD program--this will likely not get you hired since most employers are looking for long term employees. However, you can tell them during the interview that you are pursing a couple of options right now, and might not have an answer immediately or be able to begin working until May (or whatever the situation is). Either the employer would wait for you or they won't. I got six job offers this way--four part time jobs teaching that I actually took. People like it when you are upfront with them...

You're in a truly enviable position in this job market!

I have decided to bookmark companies I'd like to approach, but not contact them yet. I'm going to wait until spring to start my contacting them. In the meantime, I'm doing stuff like updating my resume (the short version, not the long version,) and checking job postings.

Just flow with the stream. I would go to all those interviews and not mention the word 'grad school' at all. Congratulations on your interviews and good luck securing those positions. A back up plan never hurt anyone.

I agree with what's been said - continue with the job interviews you're interested in, without telling them you may be going to grad school. The first rounds of job interviews are likely screening, as someone said above. If they like you, they'll ask you for a second interview. By the time it gets to the point of them offering you a job, if it does get to that point, then you'll have a lot more information about where you stand with grad school. All the best.

thanks everyone for the advice! unfortunately, in the end, my resume killed me..I had an interview today. I did tell them I was thinking about other options, but then he said.."oh, I notice on you're resume that you have a lot of research experience .. are you interested in grad school?" ruh rohhh ..

thanks everyone for the advice! unfortunately, in the end, my resume killed me..I had an interview today. I did tell them I was thinking about other options, but then he said.."oh, I notice on you're resume that you have a lot of research experience .. are you interested in grad school?" ruh rohhh ..

Yeah, you're gonna have to customize your resume for a job rather than for grad school. Maybe emphasize things that would be relevant to the job and leave off things that might have use for a grad school resume but wouldn't be of use to the job you're applying to.

• 1 month later...

But surprisingly, I've gotten a lot of emails asking for interviews. I was expecting these to come after grad school decisions! My timing was waaaay off.. If I got a super good job offer, I'm not even sure if I would want to go straight to grad school. But if I got into a good grad school..well I'm getting my PhD for a reason. Should I tell these companies in the interview that I'm interested in grad school? Should I even interview so soon? Should I pull my resume and post it up later?? I feel so weird..I was sure I wanted to go to grad school, but the idea of working kind of intrigues me now :/

I'm in a really similar position. Applied to jobs thinking PhD was a long shot, got admitted to one place but finding decisions won't happen till mid May. In the meantime I got shortlisted for an amazing job that had nearly 600 applicants, and am waiting to hear on interviews, and am getting more and more excited about a second job possibility in San Diego, and a third which would be AMAZING but only if they get funding to take me on. I'm also trying to juggle the timing of all these with my boyfriend who just got an interview neither of us were expecting for a job in London (where I'd be doing my PhD if funding comes through) and not wanting to take a job in the US if he's just about to move to London as I'd want to go with him of course, PhD place or not.

I guess we just have to wait to see what offers (job or grad school) come in when, and try to juggle the options we have in front of us at that time. I'm just freaking out that I'll pass on a job in the hope of getting funding/reveal my grad school ambitions by asking for an extended deadline on acceptance and thereby mess it up, and then not get funding for grad school either so be stuck with nothing. Nowhere. I'm trying not to think about it until it happens though!

• 1 year later...

Just try to go to the interviews you have. If ever your not qualified got to grad school but if you're hired try to set aside that grad school. You should always focus your mine in one thing. You might be confused sooner or later.

• 3 weeks later...

HOW TO LEARN FROM HOME? |ONLINE EDUCATION IN PAKISTAN| ONLINE EDUCATION IN FAISALABAD | FREE ONLINE EDUCATION| ONLINE EDUCATION COURSES

How is it possible and feasible to earn and learn online from your home? We suggest and give the opinion for this process.

At AVS COLLEGE you can also find out online jobs at home, at this place everybody can find online Data entry job, online copy writing job and seo jobs. Part time jobs mostly liked by every one who wants to earn money online. You can earn online with ptc sites and you can get jobs at your home, avs learning center is a key to find online earning jobs.

You can ensure to it at our domain http://www.avslearning.blogspot.com and http://www.avsonlinelearning.blogspot.com/