Low cost state school MSW students

wbsw

Many students on here are attending big name schools or Ivies and not really discussing the cost. How do you intend to pay for these colleges?Did anyone here try to apply to a state college with reasonable tuition cost i.e. UCONN, OHIO STATE, or ARIZONA STATE? I am not trying to disrespect anyone’s decision, but I am curious to know if there are any other people like me on here. I am applying to schools and specifically looking for colleges that are low cost with decent reputations. Any state school MSW students care to share their experience?

I'm not in MSW but mass comm, but I relate you your questions. I applied to the programs I wanted to go to last year and then tallied up the costs. Whew. It was overwhelming. So I took a year off to establish residency first. This obviously isn't a reasonable choice for everyone but fit into my circumstances. Assuming I get accepted to one of the programs in Florida it will save me from feeling consumed by debt. I truly believe that you get out of an education what you but into it and that the education you will get at a state school you are paying a fraction for will serve you fine if you make it serve you.

Many students on here are attending big name schools or Ivies and not really discussing the cost. How do you intend to pay for these colleges?Did anyone here try to apply to a state college with reasonable tuition cost i.e. UCONN, OHIO STATE, or ARIZONA STATE? I am not trying to disrespect anyone’s decision, but I am curious to know if there are any other people like me on here. I am applying to schools and specifically looking for colleges that are low cost with decent reputations. Any state school MSW students care to share their experience?

Good point. I have known people who got their MSW at Michigan and UNC and have really liked their experience. One thing to note though if you are not an in-state resident, out-of-state tuition can be as expensive as a private university. Does your state have good MSW programs? If so, I would start there first.

I think some of the issues with discussing costs is that people are not informed on the terms and conditions of their loans and don't realize how that lump sum translates into a monthly cost (e.g. a 30K loan (at 6.8% interest) will be $350 per/month for 10 years). I also think that people might not have a reasonable expectation (or are not informed) of what starting salaries are in their field. $350 per month is probably not a big deal with a starting salary of 85K, but can be a huge financial burden if you are only going to make 40K.

And I don't know the field very well, but does it make a difference if you attend a big name school or not for your MSW? I assume some people attend big name schools regardless of cost because they feel that those schools have better job placement rates.

Edited by ZeChocMoose

I'm not in MSW but mass comm, but I relate you your questions. I applied to the programs I wanted to go to last year and then tallied up the costs. Whew. It was overwhelming. So I took a year off to establish residency first. This obviously isn't a reasonable choice for everyone but fit into my circumstances. Assuming I get accepted to one of the programs in Florida it will save me from feeling consumed by debt. I truly believe that you get out of an education what you but into it and that the education you will get at a state school you are paying a fraction for will serve you fine if you make it serve you.

I remember reading in the NYT about the grad inflation that takes place at IVY/Private universities. So this idea that state schools are subpar is ridiculous. From what I see it seems our generation is becoming a generation of professional students. Buy now pay later is the motto of most students and it is quite worrisome. I am all about education, but one must also be realistic when deciding what school to go to. The average debt for a bachelors is 25K and the average for Masters is 30K for a total of 55k (average). Becoming an in state resident seems like a great idea. Most state school on the east coast provides special tuition rates to fellow New Englanders. ( I live on the east coast)

I applied to WVU, which doesn't have a very highly ranked MSW program, but does specialize in rural social work and has a great gerentology program, which are my interests. It would also be very inexpensive for me, even if I don't get funding and within WV, WVU is a respected and much-loved institution. If you plan on staying the state in which you attend school, a state school degree can be a sign that you know your population well and are committed to working with them.

Columbia might be a great fit for some students, but I think for a lot of us these private schools would just saddle us with unnecessary debt.

I applied to WVU, which doesn't have a very highly ranked MSW program, but does specialize in rural social work and has a great gerentology program, which are my interests. It would also be very inexpensive for me, even if I don't get funding and within WV, WVU is a respected and much-loved institution. If you plan on staying the state in which you attend school, a state school degree can be a sign that you know your population well and are committed to working with them.

Columbia might be a great fit for some students, but I think for a lot of us these private schools would just saddle us with unnecessary debt.

I was hoping a few current/admitted MSW students would share their financial aid offers. I really wish there was more MSW forums regarding admitted student stats averages, average aid packages, and average loan debt. Unless a student wants to be a lawyer or doctor they’re out of luck in terms of information on graduate programs. If anyone knows of any good sites please message me.

or just start a thread. i'd love to get that kinda info as well. :)

I was hoping a few current/admitted MSW students would share their financial aid offers. I really wish there was more MSW forums regarding admitted student stats averages, average aid packages, and average loan debt. Unless a student wants to be a lawyer or doctor they’re out of luck in terms of information on graduate programs. If anyone knows of any good sites please message me.

Okay, let's talk about this! Is going into 40-100K of debt for an MSW worth it? If the MSW is your terminal degree and you're not looking to go into research or for a PhD, what the appeal is for expensive or Ivy MSW programs? I think many students think they will receive scholarships or financial aid offers, or maybe their place of employment will pay for it. Or is it really for the advanced employment opportunities? (this last point may work for an MPP or MPH, but are there high paying MSW jobs??) Hmm...

SUNY-Albany is about $13,000 per year for out of state students, and about half of that for in-state. They are also ranked 12th by U.S. News & World Report. I find that interesting since they rank NYU at 22. I haven't heard much about Albany's program, but they also have a particular scholarship in the second year that interests me, so I have applied and would consider their program over some of the other schools that might cost me $25,000 + year.

Okay, let's talk about this! Is going into 40-100K of debt for an MSW worth it? If the MSW is your terminal degree and you're not looking to go into research or for a PhD, what the appeal is for expensive or Ivy MSW programs? I think many students think they will receive scholarships or financial aid offers, or maybe their place of employment will pay for it. Or is it really for the advanced employment opportunities? (this last point may work for an MPP or MPH, but are there high paying MSW jobs??) Hmm...

Most students receive aid in some form, but not enough to cover tuition or even half for that matter. Most take loans out. Most jobs also have a limit in regards to how much they will pay and how many credits allowed per semester. A student has to contribute to their education in one way or another.

• 3 weeks later...

You raise an extremely valid point and I too noticed this trend. I can't imagine going into excessive debt for an MSW. I want a great education, but I also want a great quality of life after I graduate, one without crazy student loan repayment. I have some friends (none who are on this forum) who have chosen schools based on name appeal, almost treating it as a name-brand commodity, to the point they were willing to pay $30,000 a year. They were more in love with the name and affiliation of the school than the program itself.

I've chosen to apply to a couple expensive schools, however, I also applied for three scholarships. If I don't receive the funds, I'm opting to stay in state and go to the cheaper school. Many students forget you have to weigh your options as an investment, which means having to consider the value of the return investment that comes with a higher degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I already knew I'd be looking at student loans, but I didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money on my MSW either. Fortunately, I was offered a pretty good scholarship from one of the more expensive schools. Without the scholarship, I don't think it would be worth it. I don't want to be in debt for a decade!

I applied to Cal State Fullerton and USC (California) . If I get into the Cal State, I am DEFINITELY going there, 80k vs. 20K (for two years) I know where I am going! I am sure the education level isn't the same, but the degree is.... That isn't to hurt anyone else, just that is large money difference!

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to Cal State Fullerton and USC (California) . If I get into the Cal State, I am DEFINITELY going there, 80k vs. 20K (for two years) I know where I am going! I am sure the education level isn't the same, but the degree is.... That isn't to hurt anyone else, just that is large money difference!

Good plan. I have talked to MSWs from USC, UCLA, Berkley and a few CSUs and they are all pretty much in agreement that where you go to grad school wont make a huge impact on your career like it would in other professions. Employers tend to look more at field experience than where you got your degree. Professors from USC also teach at CSULB and students from all nearby schools work side by side at their field placements.

• 10 months later...

I'm so glad to see this thread.

I'm grappling with the same thing. I applied to a variety of schools, a couple of Ivy Leagues as well as Cal State LA and Cal State Long Beach.

Although an Ivy League or private school "looks better" is it really worth going into a ridiculous amount of debt, especially since the field of social work isn't the most lucrative field (I.e getting an MBA).

I have heard from a couple of folks who say if you're considering getting your PhD (which I may continue to get) then a "good" name school is relevant, but does that mean your chances decrease if your MSW is from a Cal State? I don't think so, but let's be honest, getting a degree from a better name school does have its advantages.

Thoughts on this?

I will under no circumstances pay Michigan's $38,000/year out of state tuition. I am very passionate about social work, but part of my passion involves being fiscally responsible. They will need offer me A LOT of financial aid to persuade me to attend. It is not worth being in debt. If it doesn't work out this fall, I plan on applying to a state school sometime in the next few years once my husband's career has gotten underway and we've settled somewhere as we've been moving a lot lately (it will be 5 times in 6 years)

Ellie that sounds very responsible of you. Congrats to everyone getting into big name schools. If you can afford it, great. Some of the programs look fantastic. However, I am with Ellie on this one. I just don´t see how going into significant debt to obtain an MSW is a smart choice. I think we should start sending these schools a message that we won´t pay such high rates. How are we supposed to be effective social workers if one of our main concerns post MSW is making enough to make our loan payments every month?

California state schools are great for residents. There is also a program for students from the western region of the U.S. to apply for a discount in tuition so, they don´t pay as much as other out-of-state students do. The tuition is getting higher in California but not even close to 38,000 a year yet. These programs are competitive. Many accept a lower percentage of MSW applicants than big name schools do. If I don´t get into a state school this year, I think I´d rather apply again next year in California than go elsewhere where the cost is staggering.

Edited by allyba

Yes, I agree about being fiscally responsible, and I like the idea of taking a stand and sending them a message!

But, can anyone also let me know their thoughts about my last point - possibly going onto get my PhD and the role that an ivy league or private school plays in that?

I guess it depends on what your goals are. Only you can make that decision for yourself. Maybe try to contact someone who did what you want to do and conduct an informational interview of sorts to see how they did it.

Do you want to teach or see yourself primarily in a research capacity? Btw you can teach as an adjunct professor without a PhD. Of course big name schools carry prestige but, prestige doesn´t translate into huge salary increases in every field. For some careers I can see why they would be worth it. For social work however, I don´t think they are really worth the cost. At least not for me. Too much prestige in this field separates you a lot from the people you are hoping to help and work for anyways. While it is good to have perspective, I think too much distance can hinder your ability to help on a ground level which a lot of MSWs do.

Edited by allyba

I applied to a state school as well as several private schools. Not going into too much debt is a large priority for me. That said, as it seems like private schools give some scholarships, I am waiting to see.

Allyba, that's a good suggestion. One of my recommendors, who is at USC has a PhD, and my other supervisor suggested I talk to him and ask him what he thinks. I love research and would love to teach, but I definitely don't think I could spend the rest of my life (or a good chunk of my life) writing grants after grants. I definitely want to be in the trenches and that's why I decided to apply for an MSW to begin with, but I also don't see myself doing clinical work for the rest of my life. However, I've met plenty of MSW/LCSW's who have gone on to do research and took more of a supervisor role, which is something I definitely want for myself. On the other hand, I've also seen my fair share of supervisors who have more than an MSW and who got into that position because they have more than an MSW.

What I want for myself is to definitely gain the clinical experience. I think there are far too many folks in upper level positions who do not have the essential "in the trenches" experience. However, I eventually want to move onto a supervisor role (maybe supervising the clinic or becoming a District Chief in mental health).

Also, a lot of schools, I've noticed are also offering a joint MSW/PhD program where you get an MSW and two/three more years you get your PhD, which I'm beginning to think is more me. Also, usually a PhD Program gives you a stipend.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on this, please let me know.

Lastly, I'm not quite sure what you meant by: "Too much prestige in this field separates you a lot from the people you are hoping to help and work for anyways."

I think you're saying that the people who you want to work for and with, aren't really concerned about prestige so it doesn't matter? Am I getting that correctly? If so, I think you're totally right, but I also think that prestige isn't a bad thing to have.

I´ve heard of some good MSW/PhD programs. I think if you feel that you´ll need your PhD for your career goals you might as well look into a program where you can get both degrees.

Yeah, I guess that is kind of what I meant. I think prestige can be a double-edged sword in this field it seems. Of course there are benefits (respect from colleagues, networking etc) but, there can be downsides too. I doubt too many of your clients will ask where your MSW or PhD is from. Some may even feel intimidated if they know it is from a big name school depending on the type of population you are working with. Ultimately, it probably comes down to what learn from the program and if it makes you a more effective employee, supervisor etc. Great programs can produce great workers and not so great workers just like mediocre programs can. You´ve got to look into one that suits you.

I too applied to a state school, my undergrad institution. Not my first choice at all, but it's cheap, and I'm guessing I'm likely to get in. Best program out there? Definitely not, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I think internships and field placements leading to job recruitment are probably more important than the reputation of your school's name. I do agree, if you can afford private/ivy league, by all means go for it - it can definitely give you an edge, and a great education. In addition to my state school, I also applied to Smith, and to two out-of-state state universities, because if I do get funding or if my family is able to help, awesome. But, you are right - social work is not a high paying field, and since I already have undergrad loans, I don't want to break the bank.

I think we should start sending these schools a message that we won´t pay such high rates. How are we supposed to be effective social workers if one of our main concerns post MSW is making enough to make our loan payments every month?

I completely agree!! It seems absurd to charge the same or very close to the same tuition for an MSW as to say, I don't know...nursing, or engineering, or something like that. Granted, we are going into the field because of the work, not for the pay (obviously!), so on one hand you could argue that to measure a program's worth based on financial return to the student after landing a job isn't necessarily the best thing to do. However, we have to be realistic, and acknowledge that even though we aren't working in the field to make money, that doesn't mean money is no issue.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I agree about being fiscally responsible, and I like the idea of taking a stand and sending them a message!

But, can anyone also let me know their thoughts about my last point - possibly going onto get my PhD and the role that an ivy league or private school plays in that?

I have similar goals and I really dont think so but then again im not sure, However I do know that paying a lot for your masters then paying more for your PHD can be a bummer I would whether get my PHD from a prestigious school down the road.

• 1 month later...

California state schools are great for residents. There is also a program for students from the western region of the U.S. to apply for a discount in tuition so, they don´t pay as much as other out-of-state students do.

Anyone have more info on this?