EE admissions Fall 2011

stefano

My TAMU application decision was changed today to:

"Congratulations! You have been admitted to Texas A&M University. We will send your acceptance letter via postal mail."

There is no more information regarding funding. Does it mean that I have not been awarded any funds? AIS does not ask me if I accept or not their offer!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been offered admission to the Stanford EE PhD program for Fall 2011. They are supposed to let me know about funding situation very soon. I am just having my fingers crossed...Does anyone know whether all of the stanford PhD students are funded or not??

I have been offered admission to the Stanford EE PhD program for Fall 2011. They are supposed to let me know about funding situation very soon. I am just having my fingers crossed...Does anyone know whether all of the stanford PhD students are funded or not??

Majority are not funded for the first-year. The top students get fellowships with their admission, the rest find RA/TA during their second year onwards (if they pass the qualifying exam).

Majority are not funded for the first-year. The top students get fellowships with their admission, the rest find RA/TA during their second year onwards (if they pass the qualifying exam).

Do you know that whether the possibility of having fellowships has gone or not? Because, in the admission it looked like very promising that they will offer me departmental fellowship. Also, will you please let me know your profile and your stanford fellowship details?

What you're saying is rather insane. Especially for a school like Stanford. How on earth grad students especially foreign nationals with no access to domestic applicant loans/non-university-fellowships should be able to pay for something like $60K? Treating PhD students as cash cow (like terminal MS students) is quite a new trend. Don't admit them or give them RA/TAships from the start.

What you're saying is rather insane. Especially for a school like Stanford. How on earth grad students especially foreign nationals with no access to domestic applicant loans/non-university-fellowships should be able to pay for something like $60K? Treating PhD students as cash cow (like terminal MS students) is quite a new trend. Don't admit them or give them RA/TAships from the start.

All parts of this process are voluntary, so what's the issue? If one doesn't want to go to Stanford unfunded, then he can choose not to. He can even choose not to apply. Some people are willing to pay for Stanford -- why not let them?

Stanford has more citations/paper than even MIT and Berkeley. And in industry impact, I don't even need to spell it out. Sounds like they know what they're doing.

Do you know that whether the possibility of having fellowships has gone or not? Because, in the admission it looked like very promising that they will offer me departmental fellowship. Also, will you please let me know your profile and your stanford fellowship details?

My three-quarter fellowship was going to pay tuition and a stipend of $8100 per quarter. But I recently won the 3-year NSF fellowship, so instead the departmental fellowship will go towards supplementing that for all three years with some minor benefits like a health insurance subsidy. It's not useful for you to know my profile as I'm a domestic student so it's not directly comparable.

They give that hopeful admission letter to everyone, but only a fraction get funded. I personally don't recommend taking an unfunded offer, even for U.S. students.

Edited by gtmshine

• 2 weeks later...

My three-quarter fellowship was going to pay tuition and a stipend of $8100 per quarter. But I recently won the 3-year NSF fellowship, so instead the departmental fellowship will go towards supplementing that for all three years with some minor benefits like a health insurance subsidy. It's not useful for you to know my profile as I'm a domestic student so it's not directly comparable.

They give that hopeful admission letter to everyone, but only a fraction get funded. I personally don't recommend taking an unfunded offer, even for U.S. students.

I have been offered a departmental 3-quarter fellowship for pursuing PhD in EE. I have already accepted the offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Friends,

I got my EE PhD admit from TAMU during last week of march ... but as of now no info on funding/aid ... My Area of Interest is Telecommunication & Signal Processing (specifically Information theory)

infact EE department claims that there is no funding ... Has anybody who got accepted to EE PhD at TAMU, received any sort of financial aid ?

Besides, friends I need an advice ... should i go ahead with my admit by financially supporting myself or shud let go of this offer ? I mean how good is TAMU for my area of interest ?

Regards,

b2b

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...