Stanford

lambchops511

Would you please post your stats and area within EE? Thanks.

May area is Photonics:

Graduating from top university in Turkey

GPA: 3.94 /4.00

1 journal pub in a nonfamous journal, 1 submitted to a very high impact journal

2 accepted conference

Did a summer research at MIT

GRE: 800q, 380v, 4.0 a.w.

TOEFL: 105 /120

Just saw a Stanford EE reject and a Berkeley EECS reject (via Other?) on gradcafe thread. I don't know if these are spam or not but everything seems to be very different from last couple of years especially for Berkeley. I don't think I have seen enough EECS admits on gradcafe to conclude that Berkeley has sent out all of its admits but from last years threads this is very late for Berkeley (usually the rejects were out by Feb 15th).

Since, I wasnot able to put up with the wait, I called up the admission office. Fortunately, the lady who picked up my call spoke pretty well. she gave me the good news that I have been admitted but they i will come to know about funding only in April. She said that I will receive an official notification "soon".

I had to try many times before getting to speak to them.They must be answering many calls at the moment. Keep trying. . Good luck !

I said my name and location and asked her on when they plan to send out decisions.

Edited by opensun

So their email (Feb. 16) says "We are currently in the process of assigning fellowship funds to entering students. We plan to notify you regarding financial assistance as soon as possible, usually by the end of March, and no later than April 22nd."

Does anyone know if the "usually by the end of March" part is a flat-out lie? From past gradcafe listings, it seems the people who got funding later on did so close to or even after April 15.

Hey All

I received an acceptance on the 17th... there was no decision on funding. I applied to the MS program only (I am currently not interested in a Ph.D.).

My question is do we need to apply separately for funding? If not, when do we find out about funding decisions?

There is no separate aid application. MS students are never given fellowship money and RA/TA are almost always (effectively always, I think) given to PhD students whom the professors already know. Funding is either a retention bribe for top PhD students or a salary for the work done by RAs and TAs. MS students at Stanford simply aren't meant to be funded as the program only exists to make money for Stanford.

There is no separate aid application. MS students are never given fellowship money and RA/TA are almost always (effectively always, I think) given to PhD students whom the professors already know. Funding is either a retention bribe for top PhD students or a salary for the work done by RAs and TAs. MS students at Stanford simply aren't meant to be funded as the program only exists to make money for Stanford.

When you say that, do you mean Stanford's program is not worth it?

gtmshine,

If RA/TA positions are given to only those PhD students the professors already know, then how are the PhD students the professors don't know supposed to conduct research leading to a PhD?

What you said only makes sense if all of the PhD students are known by professors.

gtmshine,

If RA/TA positions are given to only those PhD students the professors already know, then how are the PhD students the professors don't know supposed to conduct research leading to a PhD?

What you said only makes sense if all of the PhD students are known by professors.

RA/TA positions at Stanford EE are almost always given to students already enrolled in the program for a year or more who have taken classes or research courses with Prof's. RA/TA awards are almost never awarded to applicants who contact faculty members. This also goes for Berkeley and seems to be what distinguishes Stan/Cal admission from other schools where applicants can get RA/TA by contacting faculty.

gtmshine,

They don't start research until after passing the qualifying exams and finding an advisor. This all happens 6 months to a year AFTER enrolling. A small number already come in knowing Stanford professors (through connections, summer research programs, etc.). These are the only ones that have RAs right away.

anuishp, whether the degree is "worth it" or not depends on what it's worth to you to be in Silicon Valley, how rich you are, and what your alternatives are.