Stanford

lambchops511

Can someone call them up and ask if all the EE masters (or PhD) admits are out and when should we expect a reply? The wait is killing me. I am past the point to care whether it is an acceptance or a rejection, I just want closure. That's all.

Edited by adelashk

Can someone call them up and ask if all the EE masters (or PhD) admits are out and when should we expect a reply? The wait is killing me. I am past the point to care whether it is an acceptance or a rejection, I just want closure. That's all.

Same here.... let's make the bastards reply.... didn't pay 125$ to get tortured with no reply

From the Stanford EE website:

"Week of March 7, 2011

The second week in March is the target date to have all admission decisions finalized and communicated. All admission decisions will be communicated via email. We will not provide admission decisions over the phone."

I called them up twice. No one picked up. Then I sent an email

I have completed application to MS program in early November. Some of my friends who applied much later have already received the decision.Can you please inform me whether any decision has been made on my application? Is there anything missing in my file?

The reply was

Thank you for submitting an application for graduate study in our department. Due to the large volume of incoming mail we receive every day, we are unable to confirm receipt of your submitted documents or test scores (GRE and TOEFL). As your application is prepared for review, we will contact you immediately, via email, if you are missing any materials. We appreciate your patience.

Applicants will be notified by the second week in March of admission decisions.

This is standard reply. No hint. :blink:

Edited by shaileshdc

I just got an email saying I was waitlisted for the MS program (applied for the Ph.D program). Though I have a master's degree already, and it seems MS @ Stanford is simply a money maker for them / not funded so I might forgo this anyway...

I do wonder why they don't let everyone know at the same time, or at least all of the admits, and all of the non-admits.

Good luck all!

Does anybody know what portion of students admitted to the PhD program receive SGF or 1 year departmental fellowship? For students that have not received a firm offer of financial aid, what are the odds of receiving aid later on? From the Results section, it seems quite a few students in previous years received departmental support in April.

RA/TA positions at Stanford EE are almost always given to students already enrolled in the program for a year or more who have taken classes or research courses with Prof's. RA/TA awards are almost never awarded to applicants who contact faculty members. This also goes for Berkeley and seems to be what distinguishes Stan/Cal admission from other schools where applicants can get RA/TA by contacting faculty.

Does anybody know what portion of students admitted to the PhD program receive SGF or 1 year departmental fellowship?

Probably not on this or any forum. You'll have to ask the department if you want facts or ask a Stanford grad student if they know of the chances.

For students that have not received a firm offer of financial aid, what are the odds of receiving aid later on?

I will assume that it's based largely on the funds available this year, the number of students that were offered aid and rejected the offer, and how high you are on the financial aid waitlist, if any.

From the Results section, it seems quite a few students in previous years received departmental support in April.

At least there is still hope.

Edited by brassgod

EE Stanford is notorious for not giving funded offers even to PhD students. Only very rare students get fellowship. RA and TA are next to impossible for an incoming PhD student.

http://ee.stanford.e...issions.php?p=6

They generally give unfunded PhD offers or give Master's instead to earn more money over the course of time. After 1st year, they will allow around 50-70% students through their rigorous quals process. In this, students are required to clear 10 oral interviews each lasting for 10 minutes. Decisions are politically motivated and are given to those who generally have source of funding from their advisors irrespective of their performance in the quals exam. Here's the past years statistics.

http://ee.stanford.edu/phd/quals/stats.php

So, if your background is not in EE, and you have other offers, think twice before going to Stanford just because of brand name. It's a very good university, no doubt. When one enters the department, he gets a sense of historical things developed primarily in Stanford, but the idea of EE department of hiring everyone, and chucking them one by one based on quals, and earning a hefty amount during one's first year is gruesome...

Congratulations! I know CMU is a very good school in EE. However, if you are going into controls I think that they are not as good as the other top tier schools. I know that their robotics program is one of the best in the nation, if not the world. So CMU is a very good school. I wouldn't worry in your case!

Once again, congratulations.

i got rejected but accepted by CMU... is CMU good school?

I'm an international student, and recently got an offer to enter Stanford's MS program in the EE department (not admitted to PhD yet, but can take quals after 2 quarters)

Someone on "The Bank" forum told me that 1-year fellowships are NEVER offered to students in my position (i.e. those who are not confirmed to be in the PhD program). Can anyone confirm this?

Also wondering if anyone knows when funding offers tend to be given out? Although that may not be all that relevant if I'm not eligible...

Edited by jscr