Stanford

lambchops511

Still haven't heard one way or the other. I'm currently taking that as a good sign, since a lot of rejections were sent out today.

They are still sending out rejections since yesterday. Not trying to defecate on your day but good luck at UC Davis or Washington.

The visiting day at Stanford is 10 March, but as gmtshine said, only a handful of admitted students with fellowship have been invited.

I have been admitted but no decision yet on the fellowship and I haven't been invited. I emailed them to ask for explanation but they did not bother to answer.

Is Stanford EE supposed to be a serious department?

Yeah, Stanford EE is kind of silly.

I think you can still visit on their visit day (I did, even though I wasn't invited). Just email them and ask when it is. You'll have to arrange your own travel.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anybody know what is “real” probability to pass the Qual at Stanford EE?

Their official statistics, http://ee.stanford.e...quals/stats.php , say that around 85% of PhD students pass the qual at either the 1st of 2nd attempt. However, I talked to some people who know people at Stanford and they claim that the “real” pass rate of the qual is way lower, around 40-60%. They also claim that the qual is competitive, as it is used with the clear objective of cutting the high number of admitted students. So, even if a student performs well at the qual, if he/she is low in the rank, will fail.

So, does anybody know what is the real probability to pass the qual at Stanford EE?

And does anybody know what is the chance of passing the qual for those who did not receive a Stanford fellowship?

I have been admitted without fellowship but I am doubtful about accepting. I don’t want to be a cash cow for Stanford, i.e. pay 1 year tuition fee and then being kicked out at the qual.

Thanks

Does anybody know what is “real” probability to pass the Qual at Stanford EE?

Their official statistics, http://ee.stanford.e...quals/stats.php , say that around 85% of PhD students pass the qual at either the 1st of 2nd attempt. However, I talked to some people who know people at Stanford and they claim that the “real” pass rate of the qual is way lower, around 40-60%. They also claim that the qual is competitive, as it is used with the clear objective of cutting the high number of admitted students. So, even if a student performs well at the qual, if he/she is low in the rank, will fail.

So, does anybody know what is the real probability to pass the qual at Stanford EE?

And does anybody know what is the chance of passing the qual for those who did not receive a Stanford fellowship?

I have been admitted without fellowship but I am doubtful about accepting. I don’t want to be a cash cow for Stanford, i.e. pay 1 year tuition fee and then being kicked out at the qual.

Thanks

You'll just get more of the same answers on forums: opinions, rumors, he said, she said, etc.

I don't see how much more official qual results you can get than the reported stats from Stanford. The first time you take the quals, you will have a ~50% chance of passing them, based on the consistant stats for the past years. If you fail your first attempt and decide to retake it, you will have >70% chance of passing it. I don't know where you're getting the 85% from. Last year, 100 out of 174 passed (first-timers + second timers), and that's ~57% pass.

Edited by brassgod