Acceptances

zsoc

Congrats to all admitted! I applied to UNC myself but have not heard back. Thinking it was a rejection, seeing the wave of acceptances.

I did, however, receive an invitation to visit University of Notre Dame, all expenses handled by the university. Does anyone know if this is essentially an acceptance, or an interview? They did not mention the specific word "interview" in the email - only that they would like to get to know me better and so I can see what ND's department has to offer - so I'm not entirely certain what to expect. I am, however, pretty happy to begin admissions season on an optimistic note!

It's not a straight-out acceptance. My understanding is that the visit is not only to get more information about the program, see the area, etc., but even more so for the faculty and grad students to get to know you and see how you'd fit in the program

I received an emailed acceptance from NC State this morning and an invitation to their open house weekend. Sorry to just be posting...I have been following for a while, but just officially registered with the website. I hope everyone hears something soon!

I'm a bit non-traditional and I've been working full time in IT since I was 21 and dropped out of school. As a result I have a lot of experience with documentation, corporate culture, and teaching in front of large groups. I don't have any publications, but I have presented at a few conferences for both IT and soc stuff.

I also am non-traditional, but I think that worked in my favor. I got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill with full funding, and I have very good but not spectacular stats and no formal research experience. What I do have is a tech career for a major corporation and a deep interest and understanding of organizations and work. What I think worked for my application was 1) tying my statement of purpose into this experience so that it became the focus of attention, and 2) having an additional recommendation from someone at work that could speak to my potential and what I'm like to work with (they do, eventually, end up having to work with us).

I'm still waiting to hear from six more.

Best of luck!

~s

Thought I would chime-in. I'm one of those people who looked on here everyday, but never posted anything in the forum (I do post in results). I have two accptances (UPenn, PSU) and one rejection (Wisconsin). Now that I know I got in a few places my insecurity is beginning to dissipate and I feel more comfortable reaching out. Good luck to everyone and a big thanks to those who are active here (especially @Happy to be here, @Rollright, and @jacib). I'll be happy to answer questions, and help other people through this process. Good luck to everyone.

Well given the quality of the schools you are applying to, and the fact that I am intending to apply to many of these too next Fall, would you mind sharing a bit about your profile? Cheers and congrats for your acceptances

Thought I would chime-in. I'm one of those people who looked on here everyday, but never posted anything in the forum (I do post in results). I have two accptances (UPenn, PSU) and one rejection (Wisconsin). Now that I know I got in a few places my insecurity is beginning to dissipate and I feel more comfortable reaching out. Good luck to everyone and a big thanks to those who are active here (especially @Happy to be here, @Rollright, and @jacib). I'll be happy to answer questions, and help other people through this process. Good luck to everyone.

I just started posting recently too--it's nice to finally feel connected to others in the same position I am. Congrats on your acceptances! What are your interests, as those are all great, diverse programs?

Congratulations! I imagine we might see each other at PSU's visiting weekend? I agree, having an acceptance or two in your pocket makes it much less scary to wait on programs that take a bit longer to notify (*cough* I'm looking at you, Brown). Good luck with the rest of your applications :)

Well given the quality of the schools you are applying to, and the fact that I am intending to apply to many of these too next Fall, would you mind sharing a bit about your profile? Cheers and congrats for your acceptances

Sure.

Undergrad: 3.5 GPA Top 25 (Linguistics major)

Masters: Higher Education 7.0/8.0 (ed schools are wierd this is like having a 3.7. Would have been higher but an econ course destroyed me lol) (Top 5) (Took demography cognates at a top 5 soc program)

GRE: 770Q 560V 4.5W

Letters of rec were solid. All from profs. 1 from a prof at a top 5 soc program. The other 2 from my masters program.

Experience: Brookings, U.S. Census Bureau, Researcher at a think tank at the School of Education where I got my masters. Research experience in Sociology of Medicine (currently), and I was also the data mongerer for a well-known emeritus University President. I have 2 meaningful publications on the way (1 which I used as my writing sample).

I am savy with ArcGIS, Stata, SAS, SPSS, Visual Basic Excell (Excell macros), and can do a bit of CSS.

I would also encourage you to take some very advanced quant coursework. I'm basically coming into a PhD program with everything but Event History Analysis, and Structural Equation Modeling on the quant side. (I'm going to have to play some catch-up on the theory and classical sociology though).

My interests are immigration, education, inequality, and demography. (I can work outside my comfort zone too though. Currently with sociology of medicine, and at the Census with military data.) I applied to so many programs because I was fearful I might not get into any. As you can see my GRE verbal score is lower than seemingly everyone's in this forum. What I think has worked in my favor is that most highly ranked soc programs are quant oriented.

I think my best chances for admission are the departments which champion immigration and education research.

Hope this helps.

congrats to everyone on their recent acceptances!

smaturin---how did minnesota notify you? did your online status change beforehand?

I received a letter via the postal service. My online status had not changed the day after the letter's postmark. This is probably because the sociology department has only "made recommendation to the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota for your admission to the Ph.D. program in sociology beginning fall term 2011." I imagine that the graduate school will have to process the recommendation before the online status will be updated.

I received a letter via the postal service. My online status had not changed the day after the letter's postmark. This is probably because the sociology department has only "made recommendation to the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota for your admission to the Ph.D. program in sociology beginning fall term 2011." I imagine that the graduate school will have to process the recommendation before the online status will be updated.

Hi, my status changed from "sent to program" to "graduate school final review", does it mean I'll be accepted? But I haven't received any interview invitation beforehand. What about your status? Is it also "graduate school final review"?

Edited by doraboy

I was accepted this morning by Indiana!!! ^_^

Congrats! I got woken up by an outage at work this morning and was pretty grumpy about it, then I saw the e-mail from IU and my mood vastly improved.

So far I'm not a fan of how all the schools have picked the same weekend for a recruitment weekend. IU, UNC, and Ohio State all picked the exact same time...

Congrats! I got woken up by an outage at work this morning and was pretty grumpy about it, then I saw the e-mail from IU and my mood vastly improved.

So far I'm not a fan of how all the schools have picked the same weekend for a recruitment weekend. IU, UNC, and Ohio State all picked the exact same time...

Yea, I know. Well I didn't apply to UNC, but the DGS from IU I know mentioned that UNC's was Feb. 25th as well. I'll be going to OSU's recruitment event that day, and I will hopefully find another Friday to go visit IU. I keep having a fear though that if by some powers that be I get into Northwestern, that their event may be the same time as UT-Austin's. Congrats on your acceptances though and good luck figuring out which recruitment event you will be going to!!

congratulations again, everyone, on the good word!

Hi, my status changed from "sent to program" to "graduate school final review", does it mean I'll be accepted? But I haven't received any interview invitation beforehand. What about your status? Is it also "graduate school final review"?

mine changed to "graduate school final review" as well. from what i can gather, it just means we will be getting our decision soon. i'd say it's still reasonable to hold out hope, but then again, i find it a little odd that they haven't changed smaturin's status at all, but sent out a postal acceptance.

who knows! best of luck to everyone

Congrats, smaturin! Can I ask you one question: you said you status hasn't changed. what is your online status now? Is it " sent to program" or "sent to graduate school for final review"? My online status changed from the former to the latter yesterday as well. I do not know what exactly that means except that we are going to get the admission result very soon. Thank you!