Acceptances

zsoc

Hi All,

I don't think I completely belong in this thread as 9 out of the 10 programs I applied to are Women's and Gender Studies programs BUT I did apply to Brandeis' joint MA in Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies and have yet to hear back.. Has anyone heard from Brandeis' soc department yet?? And I've only heard back from one school so far... this wait is KILLING me!!!!!!

Anyway, good luck and congrats on all your acceptances!!! :)

-Fiona

Hi All,

I don't think I completely belong in this thread as 9 out of the 10 programs I applied to are Women's and Gender Studies programs BUT I did apply to Brandeis' joint MA in Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies and have yet to hear back.. Has anyone heard from Brandeis' soc department yet?? And I've only heard back from one school so far... this wait is KILLING me!!!!!!

Anyway, good luck and congrats on all your acceptances!!! :)

-Fiona

I'm waiting on Brandeis as well. For me, it's between them and Notre Dame. I guess someone already had an acceptance from Brandeis around the beginning of Feb, which is atypical of their usual admissions behavior - from the results page, sounds like they start admitting early March.

I'm waiting on Brandeis as well. For me, it's between them and Notre Dame. I guess someone already had an acceptance from Brandeis around the beginning of Feb, which is atypical of their usual admissions behavior - from the results page, sounds like they start admitting early March.

Yeah, I saw that.. I thought it was a bit strange. Well anyway, keep us updated if you hear anything form them!! Congrats on your acceptance to Notre Dame! :)

Congrats! Is that the first acceptance? That's a great school too! What a great feeling!

Thanks to all, it was my second after UCSD but given the state of their funding and the likely fact that I wouldn't be able to go there if they didn't give me funding, this feels like my first real acceptance! I probably won't be able to make it to the weekend because I'm out of the states for the year, but I couldn't be more pumped. Best of luck to the rest out there!

Thanks to all, it was my second after UCSD but given the state of their funding and the likely fact that I wouldn't be able to go there if they didn't give me funding, this feels like my first real acceptance! I probably won't be able to make it to the weekend because I'm out of the states for the year, but I couldn't be more pumped. Best of luck to the rest out there!

I think they do offer funding to some extent, but not FULL funding, mostly partial fee remission for tuition, but you'd still end up paying out of state or living expenses. I am glad that I already live in San Diego and am a California resident. The tuition is only 11,000 a year right now compared 20,000+ for out of state. And then you add on living expenses! It's crazy.

In at SUNY Albany.

Congratulations.

I think I just got accepted at Albany, but waitlisted for funding. At least I think that's the situation. It's the first place I've heard from and even without knowing about funding, I'm just excited to hear back from someone and it helps that it was an acceptance (I think).

Not technically accepted but in #1 spot on wait-list for Penn State as of 2/28. They had enough high-quality applicants they expanded the original acceptance pool, but I think they've already notified everyone in that batch. But I'll be at the recruiting weekend March 26-28 and they said that at least 1 has always gotten in from the wait-list.

I already got a no from Princeton and am still waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill and Duke. I'm assuming CH is a no, since they've already had both admissions and their weekend, but has anyone else heard from Duke?

In case anyone's interested for comparison, my areas are quantitative methodology and soc of religion. I've already got an M.A. in theology and have spent a couple years out working.

Undergrad GPA: 3.63

Soc: 3.78 (B.S. with thesis)

Grad GPA: 3.81 with non-soc thesis

Q: 800

V: 680

AW: 4.5

Porternd, I'll be at the weekend as well, from the Crime, Law, and Society program. The programs are under the same department (they work out of the same building, etc.) but I'm not sure if we'll be at the same tours or dinners. It looks like we'll be there with davolicious too.

Porternd, I'll be at the weekend as well, from the Crime, Law, and Society program. The programs are under the same department (they work out of the same building, etc.) but I'm not sure if we'll be at the same tours or dinners. It looks like we'll be there with davolicious too.

I'll be there, too :)

I was told that the expected cohort size is about 8, so I figure they probably accepted 15-20 people. One or two of the people who were also at the Ohio State visit are going to be there as well, so it should be a decent group. I know I'm jazzed about it.

Okay, they told me a cohort of 5-6 for CLS, so that's roughly 33%-50% larger which sounds fine to me. I ask because, as someone interested in Criminal Justice/Criminology (a relatively new field), you have to keep your eyes peeled for programs where it's Sociology's or Psychology's adopted kid brother. Penn State sure seems to have it figured out though.

• 2 weeks later...