Rejections 2011

Happy to be here

That's right, you've reached the right place. You've applied to schools heading after that Sociology grad degree, and hey, maybe you've even gotten into some, but here is where it all comes out.

Welcome to the thread where you say something like: "I just got rejected from X university." Follow it up by some kind of snotty remark such as, "Their loss, those jerks." Double bonus for the, "This was my dream school! I'm devastated!"

So there.

I, too, received my rejection from UW-Madison today. I wasn't too emotionally impacted by it - it was a very small chance to begin with, and I think I made the choice to apply out of ambition more than anything else. And God, yes, it would be cold. I heard some of my fellow raised Alaskans were pretty wary of the climate there.

On a positive note, I'm glad to get my first rejection out of the way.

I, too, received my rejection from UW-Madison today. I wasn't too emotionally impacted by it - it was a very small chance to begin with, and I think I made the choice to apply out of ambition more than anything else. And God, yes, it would be cold. I heard some of my fellow raised Alaskans were pretty wary of the climate there.

On a positive note, I'm glad to get my first rejection out of the way.

I guess my rejection from Notre Dame is on the way. Didnt get that invitation of campus visit :(

No Notre Dame invite here either. I think sometime this week I'll walk up to some kid eating ice cream, smash it into his face, and say, "You will remember me forever."

I feel the exact same way!

Have you heard anything from Georgia yet?

Heh, yeah. I do quite like their program though. I emailed the grad sec and she just said that completed applications were ready for review by the committee, and that she didn't know when they'd meet.

Nothing yet, so whatevs Georgia.

I was rejected by U of Wisconsin Madison (generic email) and UT Austin (received an email notification that the decision has been made and I could check my status on the university website).

Hi Dogbert,

When exactly did you hear from UT Austin? I'm anxiously awaiting their decision

I emailed the grad coordinator the last week in January, and got a reply notifying me of my rejection within an hour. I know some people have emailed her and have received no response, but given my lightning fast rejection, I would assume no word is good word!

Good luck!

From today's results page it appears that UT Austin has sent out another wave of rejections. Hope no one on here got one of those. I'm still waiting to hear something from them. Wish they would just get it over with but I suppose if we haven't heard anything yet that might mean we made it past some sort of cut. Maybe that's just wishful (or delusional) thinking.

Rejected at UT. Whatever, I never could cheer for the Longhorns anyway, not even when I lived in Austin!

Sorry about that raque. I'm awaiting my fate from UT any day now. Doesn't look like you're too bothered though. Besides, UNC abd Penn St. are incredible programs! So jealous.

Rejected at UT-Austin. Evelyn said,

"Your application was well-received but unfortunately there was no one to supervise your research.

This was my top choice, so this is a sad sad day. :(

That really stinks Sara, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully things turn up from here though!