The Waiting List

Lizzla

I've been waitlisted at Purdue as well, and University of Texas at Austin. I'm waiting on 4 other schools, but it looks like from this site that most acceptances for those programs have already been sent out. I might be looking at an entire list of waitlist offers and rejections. I'm trying to accept this possibility.

Wait listed at Purdue :mellow:

I emailed the DGS at one of my schools and got this:

"Unfortunately you are not among our first round of acceptances. Sometimes we initiate a second round after people in the first round have made their decisions. You will hear from us in the first week of April if you're selected in the second round."

Does this look like a wait list, or do you all think that this is a response to anyone who inquires? He was very cordial with me and replied in such a timely manner, I really didn't want to be pesky and ask for clarification. So, naturally, I came here to vent my nervousness!

Just got wait-listed at Chicago. The e-mail reads:

"In a normal year, I would be offering you admission and financial aid at this time. Due to the economic realities of the current year, however, we must place you on a short wait list. If subsequently we are able to admit you, we will provide substantial funding, including a full-tuition scholarship and health insurance, and possibly stipend support."

A POI at Chicago told me that he thinks I'm at the top of the list, so if you're not going (and I know some of you are going to Harvard or Princeton over Chicago) please let them know soon so I can stop being tortured by these waiting lists! Thanks! biggrin.gif

I find that "possibly stipend support" sort of scary unsure.gif. It would be especially difficult to accept an offer with no stipend support given that both Yale and Rice are offering extremely generous stipends. My spouse would much rather live in Chicago than New Haven, however. Guess I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. smile.gif

I called UCSF today and was told that I am on the wait list. The graduate adviser mentioned that those who were rejected were already e-mailed. So, if anyone hasn't heard back you are probably on the wait list as well. She also said the program doesn't offer that many fellowships for students. I doubt I will even go if I do get in!

i'm waitlisted at two of my top schools [uSC and McGill]. i am also admitted at two other programs, but waiting for funding decisions. i think i've gone a little crazy lately, having in mind i have some deadlines at work and moving to another city for a short term research and all that. this uncertainty is going to have a permanent effect on me. ok at least i feel better after getting it out of me.

I got waitlisted at UC Berkeley and rejected from the other 6 that I applied to...man, this process is pretty tough. I'm hopeful (the director was really warm and personable) but at this point I think it's just a luck of the draw.

Is anyone else in the same situation (getting rejected from everywhere)? What are you planning to do next year, or what might be something worth doing at this point?

I'm in the same situation. I applied to a master's program, and I will go if I get funding (provided I don't get in to a PhD program.) If that doesn't work out, I will have to take a research job and will likely apply again next year after improving my stupid GRE score, if I am even physically able to do that :(.

I got waitlisted at UC Berkeley and rejected from the other 6 that I applied to...man, this process is pretty tough. I'm hopeful (the director was really warm and personable) but at this point I think it's just a luck of the draw.

Is anyone else in the same situation (getting rejected from everywhere)? What are you planning to do next year, or what might be something worth doing at this point?

• 3 weeks later...

waitlisted at Texas A&M >,<

a good place in my mind~

For those of us that don't want to be a downer in the Acceptances thread, and don't want to seem like jerks in the Rejections thread...

Let us celebrate/mourn/commiserate/obsess.

Waitlisted at Wisconsin today!