Boston University 2011

Roll Right

If their attitude is "lets notify the ones who are accepted and we'll deal with the rest a couple of weeks later", that's really really mean. I mean, this was acceptable in january and february, but definitely not in march. It's middle of the march, I think we deserve to hear A, W, or R, but we should have something. Anyway, I'm just mumbling...Sigh...

If their attitude is "lets notify the ones who are accepted and we'll deal with the rest a couple of weeks later", that's really really mean. I mean, this was acceptable in january and february, but definitely not in march. It's middle of the march, I think we deserve to hear A, W, or R, but we should have something. Anyway, I'm just mumbling...Sigh...

I recently emailed the department. I'll let you know what I hear.

I just called and spoke with someone in the sociology office, who seemed to think that neither rejections nor acceptances have been informed, and that emails and letters would be coming out "soon" - but she didn't sound comfortable giving any information so not sure if that's the story or not. I'd prefer to think there's still some small chance, but maybe not.

Hello everybody!

I'm just checking as usual :) Another friday evening's arrived and still nothing right?

Still nothing. BUT I applied for sociology. If you applied for anth, then I would assume that they are different departments and therefore will be sending out notifications independently of one another.

someone posted on the results page that s/he got an acceptance on march 12. it's weird though, because last week someone here called the office and apparently they told that they hadn't notify anyone... anyway, i hope the process is still continuing...

Edited by moraurora

Schools sometimes have more than one round of acceptances. I just want to know if they send out notices for rejections, so I know for sure. I haven't found a way to check online for admission status - has anyone?

Very well, I just got the Rej letter from BU one minute ago. ALL the Rej!

Sorry to hear that. Was it a personalized email, mass email, or via postal service? I'm dreading going to my mailbox during the next couple of days.

Sorry about the rejections. I'm looking at the possibility of all rejections as well. So disappointing...

I think it's a mass email since it sent from Art&Sciense Office and provide a PDF format standard rejection letter.If you haven't got the Rej today, I assume that you might be in the waitlinglist.

Sorry to hear that. Was it a personalized email, mass email, or via postal service? I'm dreading going to my mailbox during the next couple of days.

Sorry about the rejections. I'm looking at the possibility of all rejections as well. So disappointing...

Was it an email or a physical letter?

An email with a link to a pdf.

So... now all I can hope for is to get off Indiana's WL or an acceptance with funding from UNCC.

I've never felt so beat in my entire life :(

An email with a link to a pdf.

So... now all I can hope for is to get off Indiana's WL or an acceptance with funding from UNCC.

I've never felt so beat in my entire life :(

Don't feel too down, I'm still waiting for Baylor and GMU. Let me know if you come do to NC, I may still be here.

Does anyone know what the commute would be like from the eastern side of campus to Davis Square in Somerville? I could to public transportation or drive.

Hi,

If my thinking is correct (and it may not be, but I'm pretty sure it is), the eastern side of BU is on the green line (B-line) and Davis Square is on the red line. This would mean that in order to get from your home to BU, you would have to go all the way to the Park Street station via the red line, switch to the Green B-line there, then take that all the way back to BU. That might be a pain. Find out what stops those locations correspond to and then go to http://mbta.com/ to plan your route. There may also be a bus route I'm unaware of (the green and red lines I just mentioned are train lines.) Honestly, I would recommend finding an apartment that is on the B-line. How long do you want your commute to be? Don't resolve to a long commute with the justification that you will do work on the subway: it is often so crowded that you won't be able to find a seat, let alone do work.

As for driving: I'm from Boston originally, so I am really opposed to the idea of needing a car to get around. I would not recommend relying on a car to anyone, especially in Boston. I'm told parking is a real pain to find and is very expensive, so that's something to consider.

Sorry if that was really confusing. Please PM me or respond here if you need clarification on something, and feel free to post anything I wrote in a Boston related SLP thread.

Hi,

If my thinking is correct (and it may not be, but I'm pretty sure it is), the eastern side of BU is on the green line (B-line) and Davis Square is on the red line. This would mean that in order to get from your home to BU, you would have to go all the way to the Park Street station via the red line, switch to the Green B-line there, then take that all the way back to BU. That might be a pain. Find out what stops those locations correspond to and then go to http://mbta.com/ to plan your route. There may also be a bus route I'm unaware of (the green and red lines I just mentioned are train lines.) Honestly, I would recommend finding an apartment that is on the B-line. How long do you want your commute to be? Don't resolve to a long commute with the justification that you will do work on the subway: it is often so crowded that you won't be able to find a seat, let alone do work.

As for driving: I'm from Boston originally, so I am really opposed to the idea of needing a car to get around. I would not recommend relying on a car to anyone, especially in Boston. I'm told parking is a real pain to find and is very expensive, so that's something to consider.

Sorry if that was really confusing. Please PM me or respond here if you need clarification on something, and feel free to post anything I wrote in a Boston related SLP thread.

Thank you! That does make sense and it looks like that would be the route I would take. The likelihood and ease of doing work on the subway is a really good thing to think about too, I never thought about how crowded it would be.

I haven't heard anything from them yet. What does it mean to me?

I just called the Sociology department and the woman said that all decisions will go out next week. She said that they have until April 15th to announce decisions. I explained that every other school has already sent out decisions and by waiting until the last day to advise ppl, especially ppl that they want, will force them to make other arrangements. If this is an indication of how their department operates, I'm glad to go elsewhere.