What makes MICA so great?

Curious12345

Just like last year almost EVERY single person I see posting their "list" has MICA on it...I mean, throughout almost 3 years of art school and tons of discussions of those in the "know" almost no one ever recommended MICA to me, but has recommended other well known places like UCLA or Yale. Seems odd to me...I'm also reading about the program...seems extremely independent...

I visited there (Mount Royal, mind you, which i think it sort of the 'black sheep' of the MICA family--and i mean that in the 'cool-black-sheep' way) last spring, and initially thought that it would become my first choice, because it touted so many of the things (multidisciplinary study, close contact with faculty, tight network of connections, etc.) that i really wanted in a program. however, after visiting a number of other programs (almost 10 others) over the course of the last year, i ended up crossing it off of my list. i realized that the student work i saw there felt too glossy and 'market-driven,' and that something about the way students talked about the program (current Mt Royal students at the time) felt 'too cool for school' to me--this is totally just my take/ experience and for some it might be the perfect program. also, ultimately, the price was prohibitive. i don't want to graduate from an MFA program with 75k or more in debt.

those are my two cents, but you should certainly do your own research.

Just like last year almost EVERY single person I see posting their "list" has MICA on it...I mean, throughout almost 3 years of art school and tons of discussions of those in the "know" almost no one ever recommended MICA to me, but has recommended other well known places like UCLA or Yale. Seems odd to me...I'm also reading about the program...seems extremely independent...

Not that this helps a question about grad school, but I went to MICA for undergrad and I can't say enough good things about it. I would sometimes wander through the grad studios and was always super impressed. I think what makes MICA unique is the two "schools" - Mount Royal and Hoffberger, which at least when I was there, speak to the two "sides" of traditional painting and more conceptual, multi-disciplinary work.

I am still paying it off, however, 10 years later. Throw more on the pile, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Hi I was accepted to Mt. Royal via phone on 3/11 and received snail mail packet postmarked 3/11.

I visited the school when I interviewed, and had a very positive experience with the faculty (including support faculty and people in administration). The studios where Mt. Royal students are placed is undergoing renovation (though, sadly it won't be complete for 2 years). I also thought the director of the program was really dynamite, and she seemed not only interested in my work, but supportive of the direction I wish to continue pushing my pieces.

I found this thread about MICA/Mt.Royal from last year to be very helpful:

So, in short, I think MICA is pretty great.

Now in terms of the drawbacks, the main one I seem to hear is regarding funding/high cost of tuition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the sense that MICA's tuition- while certainly high- is about the same as what other private art grad programs like SFAI and SAIC are charging. I also thought that MICA was a bit more generous with funding than other private art schools and the Ivys, but maybe I'm mistaken on that as well. (I'm basing this off someone I know who chose Mt. Royal over Columbia because of funding issues. I've also heard from other people that in general Columbia's funding offers are rather dismal.) MICA offered me approx 13K/year (which covers about 1/3 of tuition costs). For those of you who were accepted/offered funding to other comparable art schools, is this a significantly smaller financial package than what other schools in the MICA-league generally offer?

The second argument seems to be the one outlined in the thread of reputation vs. cost and whether MICA is "really" worthy of its U.S. News Ranking as a top school and whether MICA graduates are successful post-graduation. Obviously, this one is a bit more subjective. I have noticed that MICA graduates don't have as visible a presence in the NYC Chelsea gallery scene, so if that's the measure of success, that's a fair point. However, I do know of MICA students who showed at Armory while still in grad school and a MICA Reinheart (sp?) grad was awarded a MacArthur Genius Grant last year-- so I would consider both of them very successful.

So....I haven't signed on the dotted line, but I am leaning towards attending. But I am interested in hearing others' feedback and thoughts on these issues.

I talked to someone in the Graduate Admissions office yesterday via phone and he said that the way MICA's funding works can be summed up like this: "everybody gets some, nobody gets it all"

He said that they would offer 1/4 and 1/2 fellowships to most incoming Grad students - but no one gets a full ride. I e-mailed Chris Harring (I believe he was the one who was making the acceptance calls) and he pretty much told me that there is no other funding available through MICA for Grad students, but he did encourage me to look into outside/private avenues.

Now in terms of the drawbacks, the main one I seem to hear is regarding funding/high cost of tuition. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the sense that MICA's tuition- while certainly high- is about the same as what other private art grad programs like SFAI and SAIC are charging. I also thought that MICA was a bit more generous with funding than other private art schools and the Ivys, but maybe I'm mistaken on that as well. (I'm basing this off someone I know who chose Mt. Royal over Columbia because of funding issues. I've also heard from other people that in general Columbia's funding offers are rather dismal.) MICA offered me approx 13K/year (which covers about 1/3 of tuition costs). For those of you who were accepted/offered funding to other comparable art schools, is this a significantly smaller financial package than what other schools in the MICA-league generally offer?

Hi I was accepted to Mt. Royal via phone on 3/11 and received snail mail packet postmarked 3/11.

So....I haven't signed on the dotted line, but I am leaning towards attending. But I am interested in hearing others' feedback and thoughts on these issues.

Well, I can tell you, based on SFAI not giving me any funding whatsoever, that 13K/year is awesome. If I were in your same shoes at this point, I would sign on the dotted line. MICA is awesome and lately they've had a number of Fullbright winners. Congratulations!

I e-mailed Chris Harring (I believe he was the one who was making the acceptance calls) and he pretty much told me that there is no other funding available through MICA for Grad students, but he did encourage me to look into outside/private avenues.

Do you mean there is no other funding available in terms of scholarships/merit-based aid? Or does that include loans too? I received an email instructing me to fill out my FAFSA, but I have not received a financial aid packet regarding the loan amounts I am eligible for. Does that mean that Mt. Royal does not offer Stafford-based loans?

Do you mean there is no other funding available in terms of scholarships/merit-based aid? Or does that include loans too? I received an email instructing me to fill out my FAFSA, but I have not received a financial aid packet regarding the loan amounts I am eligible for. Does that mean that Mt. Royal does not offer Stafford-based loans?

Never mind. I called financial aid and worked it out.

• 1 year later...

I have been accepted to MICA's One Year Critical Studies Program with approximently 20% merit. I am a painter whom had a minor in a form of critical studies in undergrad, I plan on attepting to apply for MFA programs in Fall 2012, ultimately to be able to teach at the college level, perhaps after going to this one year program an getting a MA.

Any thoughts on special one year programs? This one is brand new, 2 semester, 30 credit program- Faculty seems very unique and they describe the program as being "cutting edge." I fell like I would be taking a risk and that they might not be giving me enough $ to take the risk of not painting for a year before attending an MFA program and also for taking on debt super early in the game. They are offering an modest internship, there is no TA. They make another selling point of highlighting the possibility of doing a PHD in the field of critical studies, sociology, or womens studies afterwards at another school; but would other schools want me for a PHD after only attending a 1 year? Would I remain competitive in the field of painting and critical analysis?

Thank you all, this is rather a twisted situation, I am very much looking forward to your responses.

Hi al_lee_cat. I think those programs are a waste of money. You should look into 2 year MA's that give decent funding (for instance, Williams College has a full ride Art History MA that is awesome, Indiana has a free-ride FIlm Studies MA, MIT has the media CMS program that is fully funded...etc)...don't waste your money on this kind of thing (sorry to be so harsh on one year Crit Studies programs such as MIC/A's, or SVA's (or, even CCA's two year program), but they strike me as money makers for these schools)...they simply aren't imbedded in the intellectual mileu of a research university and are, therefore, in my opinion, not up to "par" with two-year programs...that is, IF and only IF you want to do PhD work. I DO think they are interesting degrees if you want to couple some crit with your studio practice, but, again, money is then the biggest issue.

I say do some more research into 2 year funded Masters programs in crit-related fields and, of course, make sure you want to do a PhD in the future. Otherwise, it's hard to see how spending 60,000 on a one year Master's outside of a research institution makes any sense at all (regardless of who they bring in to teach such a fast-paced program, as they often are adjuncts or visitors from major research universities)...

Good luck with your decisions!

Edited by OutWest

I received a letter a few days ago saying that I'm waitlisted at Mt. Royal. Anyone know how big the wait list is, or if you can find out your position on the list? I'm also wait listed at Emily Carr and they told me I'm first on the list! biggrin.gif

I'm also on the waitlist for Mt. Royal and Rinehart... I called and spoke with Scott Kelly and he said there isn't really a numbered list. He explained that because they are looking to build a community, if someone accepted declines, they have to take a look at everyone on the waitlist and see who would fit best in that spot.

Also, I did a post-bacc at MICA a few years ago and can't say enough good things about the faculty and resources there!! The student body is equally as impressive, and the combination makes for a really great tight-knit artistic community.

• 10 months later...

I'm a grad student at MICA (low-res MFA) and got more than half funded for all 4 years of the program. I will be in about 25k in debt after my MFA, which I don't think is bad considering the resources and networking at MICA in their career center, etc. I think it's absolutely comparable to UCLA or RISD or even some of the up and coming schools like VCU (Although Yale and SAIC are in a pretty amazing category of their own.) 

The big benefit to MICA is that it's one of the oldest art institutions in the country. This isn't about a pedigree per say, but their research and faculty measure up to that history of high standard. They grant more Fullbrights than any other art school in the country and there is a nice mix of theory and practice in many of the programs. Not all programs are created equal, though, and I wouldn't judge all of the grad programs based on Mt. Royal or a single department. 

As with every decision, weigh it by visiting and seeing for yourself. 

Edited by littlenova