UT-Austin notifications

bubawizwam

It looks like UT-Austin has sent out a few acceptance and rejection letters. Does anyone know how they usually send out notifications? Are there several waves of acceptances and rejections? Or am I just waiting to see if I'm rejected/waitlisted?

Thanks!

Edited by bubawizwam

It looks like UT-Austin has sent out a few acceptance and rejection letters. Does anyone know how they usually send out notifications? Are there several waves of acceptances and rejections? Or am I just waiting to see if I'm rejected/waitlisted?

Thanks!

No idea. I have been wondering this same question for two long weeks. I spend half of the day crossing my fingers, and the other half of the day pulling out my hair.

Did you try emailing Evelyn (the grad coordinator)? I emailed her but received no response. Some other applicants emailed her and heard back rather quickly.

Only one acceptance was posted on this site, so I'm hoping for some good news.. :unsure:

Edit:

On the other hand, if you look at last year's results for Austin then things don't look too great for us. Last year there was a wave of acceptances around Jan 29th and then a wave of rejections around Feb 10th.

Sorry, I know I'm not of much help :blink:

Edited by sararuwani

I just called Evelyn and found out that I was rejected. :( She was very nice though and we chatted for over 20 minutes. The next round of acceptances and rejections should be going out within the next week. However, she said they're going to have a very small cohort this year due to funding issues. She also gave me a bunch of feedback about my application and told me that I wasn't a solid fit based on my interests in sociology of education. Also, the sociology of ed. professors already have a lot of students, and the program is really using fit to eliminate applications. Even if you were a perfect fit but the professor who matched your interests already was overextended, you might not get in. Evelyn also seemed to emphasize publications. She suggested I get an MA and publish some work and go to lots of conferences. She was mighty chatty! Now I just have to wait for the University of Maryland - College Park to send out notifications. Any work on when that will happen?

I just called Evelyn and found out that I was rejected. :( She was very nice though and we chatted for over 20 minutes. The next round of acceptances and rejections should be going out within the next week. However, she said they're going to have a very small cohort this year due to funding issues. She also gave me a bunch of feedback about my application and told me that I wasn't a solid fit based on my interests in sociology of education. Also, the sociology of ed. professors already have a lot of students, and the program is really using fit to eliminate applications. Even if you were a perfect fit but the professor who matched your interests already was overextended, you might not get in. Evelyn also seemed to emphasize publications. She suggested I get an MA and publish some work and go to lots of conferences. She was mighty chatty! Now I just have to wait for the University of Maryland - College Park to send out notifications. Any work on when that will happen?

Sorry on your UT-Austin rejection :( What are your interests in sociology of education? I applied to both UT-Austin & UMD as well, so I was wondering what your interests are and who you wanted to work with?

Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm sorry about your app status. Best of luck with Maryland.

I'm dying to know now what will happen with my application. Ahhh! :blink:

Edit:

I just double checked my fit with the dept, because in terms of fit it is my favourite dept (Wisconsin-Madison was my other favourite, but I knew it was a long shot & the fit wasn't nearly as perfect). There are 5 profs who are working in the area that I'd like to do research in, and countless others in my general areas of interest, so hopefully I'll make it, I don't have any pubs though :unsure:

Are you feeling confident about your fit with UMC's Soc Dept?

Oh, one more question: by "next week" did you mean the rest of this week, or the week of the 14th? Stupid question but I'm obsessing again.. :rolleyes:

Edited by sararuwani

Hello,

Applying to grad schools this year, I don't think I understood the importance of fit and finding a good POI. I definitely think that I could have but together much better applications to a better selection of schools were I do apply all over again. As for when UT will be sending out more responses, it sounded like this week, but I am not entirely clear on that front. In regards to my POI at MDC, Kris Marsh is probably closest to my interests. The thing is, I feel like my interests are somewhere between sociology of education and criminology and deviance. I'm interested in looking at crime and deviance of lower socioeconomic status blacks in underperforming public elementary schools. As a prior teacher, I could see when I child was heading down a dangerous path, but there was nothing in place in the schools to help the kids until they ended up in the juvenile justice system. However, I know that there is still so much material out there for me to study that my research interests could change drastically over time. How concrete are your research ideas? I feel like I'm still very flexible in my interests.

My research interests are concrete, but in my SOP I mentioned that I'm open to other ideas and approaches.

I think a lot of people are not certain what exactly they want to do. For example, I rushed into my MPhil immediately after undergrad and ended up in a well-known school, but my fit with the department wasn't great (they were more qualitative oriented and I'm interested in quantitative). I also wasn't sure exactly what area I wanted to focus on, so following my MPhil graduation I took time off to look into specific areas. For my MPhil I focused on tenure and employment, but I realized I'm much more interested in the social determinants of health.

I hope your application to UMC is successful, but if not then I would definitely recommend taking a year to research areas. Usually a few good papers in one area will lead you to a bunch of departments, & then you can look at specific profs within each dept. It's also helpful to email the professors whose work interests you.

Edited by sararuwani

Really sorry to ask you about this bubawizwam, but just to clarify, did Evelyn say "acceptances and rejections" are going out within the next week? I saw a wave of rejections posted yesterday, but I haven't seen mine yet. The reason I ask for clarification is just that I don't know whether to hold out hope that UT is still holding onto a handful of acceptances or should I just resign myself to the fact that a rejection inevitably awaits. Thanks.

Really sorry to ask you about this bubawizwam, but just to clarify, did Evelyn say "acceptances and rejections" are going out within the next week? I saw a wave of rejections posted yesterday, but I haven't seen mine yet. The reason I ask for clarification is just that I don't know whether to hold out hope that UT is still holding onto a handful of acceptances or should I just resign myself to the fact that a rejection inevitably awaits. Thanks.

I checked the website, where they posted my rejection in the "status" box.

So, at this point if I haven't heard anything should I just be anticipating a rejection?

I have the same question. But if they sent out a wave of rejections the other day I can't imagine why they wouldn't just send ours out as well unless they were still making admits. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I'd like to think they're not just dragging their asses and sitting on a bunch of rejections. But then, that may be the case.

A lot of schools don't officially waitlist, or don't waitlist many, yet have a back-up pool of students they'd admit if too many of their outstanding offers are turned down. If you haven't heard anything and others have, that's where I'd assume you are.

Faculty, I agree with you. I think that's probably where we are. If so, I'm not complaining, just hoping it works out.

Hopeful1, I debate e-mailing just about everyday, but I haven't seen ANY positive outcomes from that other than learning you're rejected faster. I'm too scared that they'd be annoyed by my e-mail and say "You know what, we were thinking about you, but now you're rejected." I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

When I spoke to Evelyn on Friday regarding the status of my application she said "well, the acceptance letters and the wait-list notifications have already been sent out, but would you like me to check your application?"

I think if you haven't received a notification for an acceptance or a position on the waitlist then it may be bad news.

:(

Edited by sararuwani

I hope I'm wrong and you get in!

You can always call her to double check! She's super friendly.

You were right, sarauwani. I called Evelyn and she was super-nice. She went through my application and was extremely complementary but indicated that they had no one to mentor me. Since Chris Ellison has left and Woodberry is preparing to leave (which I didn't know) Regnerus is the only religion guy available and apparently he's overbooked as it is with current grad students. Alas, no admissions offer for me. Looking back it was a lousy fit anyways. Stings a little bit, but I couldn't hope for a nicer rejection. To anyone still waiting, Evelyn said she would try finish rendering notifications soon, but the decisions have been made. If you didn't receive an offer, you probably didn't get in. Sorry to be another bearer of bad news.

You were right, sarauwani. I called Evelyn and she was super-nice. She went through my application and was extremely complementary but indicated that they had no one to mentor me. Since Chris Ellison has left and Woodberry is preparing to leave (which I didn't know) Regnerus is the only religion guy available and apparently he's overbooked as it is with current grad students. Alas, no admissions offer for me. Looking back it was a lousy fit anyways. Stings a little bit, but I couldn't hope for a nicer rejection. To anyone still waiting, Evelyn said she would try finish rendering notifications soon, but the decisions have been made. If you didn't receive an offer, you probably didn't get in. Sorry to be another bearer of bad news.

Yes, her response to my application was similar. It was nice to hear that in terms of stats I'm okay, but I was so hopeful that they'd admit me. Oh well. Here's hoping for another acceptance, though I've already started looking into plans B & C.

It looks like you have some offers! I hope Princeton works out!

Yes, her response to my application was similar. It was nice to hear that in terms of stats I'm okay, but I was so hopeful that they'd admit me. Oh well. Here's hoping for another acceptance, though I've already started looking into plans B & C.

It looks like you have some offers! I hope Princeton works out!

No kidding. I'd absolutely freak out if Princeton gave me the nod.

Good luck to you as well!

Still hoping plan A works for you or that plans B and C somehow lead you back to A. smile.gif