Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

I applied to various programs of this sort this past application cycle. I often thought it took a month or two to receive admissions from these various programs. However, in the case of the Maxwell School I received an admittance email the day after the application deadline. I must say I was shocked. My question is has anyone else received admittance into the Maxwell MPA/MA-IR program?

Admission at Maxwell it's rolling. They started sending out acceptances even a couple of days before the deadline. Congrats!

I appreciate it. This is my top choice out of the different programs, so I am accepting the offer. As far as the IR portion of the degree, does anyone know anything about the Middle East Certificate? Also, since the Middle East is in turmoil what areas will students be able to travel to for the externship/internship? I have been to Iraq, Syria, Kuwait, Jordan, Israel, and Egypt. Out of all these places I hope the Maxwell school has connections in Jordan. The people are amazing and the food is great. Also, can Maxwell student help research for professors in the Middle Eastern Studies department? Thanks for any replies.

When they accepted you did they mention anything about funding? Also, does anyone know if the MPA/MA-IR program or Maxwell in general give out a lot of money?

They stated that all decision on funding will be made before April 1st and they will send you an email concerning this information. Right now they are patrolling all of the applications and I am sure they are taking notes on who is getting funding or not. Best of luck to you on this endeavor.

Edited by DevDoc82

yea i felt the same way when i got my email too. I didnt even think about the chance of being accepted so early. they said the same stuff to me about funding in march. i applied to the MAIR.

Congrats on your admittance into the program!! Hopefully we'll get some funding for this.

Yea the program is relatively less expensive than the surrounding ones, but for a west coaster its still a ton! 30k tuition is hefty.

Yeah, money is an issue. What are your plans when you complete your degree?

I didn't get my app in until January 31st, so I might have a bit of a wait ahead of me. The MPA/MA-IR is definitely my top choice, so I'm regretting not getting the application in sooner. I assumed everyone would get notified at the same time, so I took my time on the application. Good luck to everyone on the funding.

I applied to only the MPA program, and received an offer of admission on Jan. 27. I am accepting their offer, and hope to get some financial aid. I'm also interested in the Middle East, and hope to get funding or a graduate assistantship relevant to the region.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my admission email this morning for the MPA/MAIR dual degree program! It sounds like it may be a few more weeks until I find out about funding, but I'm very happy to be admitted.

Have any of you who were accepted already heard back on funding yet?

Got my admission email this morning for the MPA/MAIR dual degree program! It sounds like it may be a few more weeks until I find out about funding, but I'm very happy to be admitted.

Have any of you who were accepted already heard back on funding yet?

Congratulations on the acceptance, D-Lux... I have not yet heard about funding. Browsing past year threads in these forums, I think we may here mid-March!

Got my admission email like a week ago and I am waiting on funding like everyone else. The packet claims only about 20 people are alowed into the program each year so If I end up going then I will probably meet some of you in this thread. DevDoc82, what other schools did you apply to and why is Syracuse your top pick?

I was just accepted to the MPA/MA-IR program! Also waiting on funding....I already have some $ from another school that has made that one very appealing.

Got my admission email like a week ago and I am waiting on funding like everyone else. The packet claims only about 20 people are alowed into the program each year so If I end up going then I will probably meet some of you in this thread. DevDoc82, what other schools did you apply to and why is Syracuse your top pick?

On 2/28/2011 at 3:15 PM, M G said:

I applied to University of Washington, University of Texas, Harvard, and University of Michigan. The reason that Syracuse University is my top pick pertains to the study abroad programs available to students. Also, I have spoken with the faculty several time about internships in countries in which they have no programs, and they have assured me that they will facilitate my request. Also, the regional concentrations offered within the IR program are enticing to me, especially the South Asia track. However, one thing that does bother me is that they offer Hindi but not Urdu. I wish they offered the latter as well, but I guess I will just go with Pashto for the language training. I believe language training is essential to individuals desiring to enter the international scene. I have found that understanding a foreign language gives great insight into the culture of the people.

Another reason why Syracuse is my top pick appertains to students I have contacted concerning the school and a connection with an individual who has engage in International Development in the Middle East and South Asia for years. The contact, and other executives, often spoke of the caliber of education and the network available to students after graduation. The students I have spoken with continually state that the school exceeds their expectations concerning job placement and the quality of education.

I received notice that I was accepted to the MPA/IR program on March 1. Exciting that I might get to meet some of you on this thread! I am eagerly waiting to hear from other schools as well. Syracuse is one of my top picks, but I am still not sure about funding or what other schools might offer. Any of you going to the welcome weekend? I live in Indonesia at the moment and so I cannot but I would love to hear what you think of it after you attend.

Yea im in Colombia at the moment and am not sure if I should fly back for the welcome weekend in April. I too am waiting to hear about the funding, which will probably allow me to decide (hopefully) pretty easily whether i will attend or not.

I received notice that I was accepted to the MPA/IR program on March 1. Exciting that I might get to meet some of you on this thread! I am eagerly waiting to hear from other schools as well. Syracuse is one of my top picks, but I am still not sure about funding or what other schools might offer. Any of you going to the welcome weekend? I live in Indonesia at the moment and so I cannot but I would love to hear what you think of it after you attend.

Did you guys get an email? Or were the decisions available on the application website?

Thank you

I received an email concerning admissions. Also, does anyone else know whether or not funding decisions will be made by email as well?

Anyone from DC going to the admitted students reception on Thurs? Want to meet up beforehand?

Also, if anyone from DC is going to the MPA or MA-IR (or both) visiting weekends...want to carpool?

I received an email concerning admissions. Also, does anyone else know whether or not funding decisions will be made by email as well?

Hey Guys,

I got accepted to at the Public Diplomacy program (MS in Public Relations and a M.A. in International Relations) at the Maxwell/Newhouse School.

Funding decisions will only be send out around mid-april.

Anybody has knowledge about the funding chances?

thanks

Hmm...If I remember correctly, when I received my admissions package from Syracuse, they stated that funding for the Maxwell School would be sent out before April 1st. Hence, we should receive word on funding in the next few weeks.