Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

Hmm...If I remember correctly, when I received my admissions package from Syracuse, they stated that funding for the Maxwell School would be sent out before April 1st. Hence, we should receive word on funding in the next few weeks.

never mind...totally different program.

Hmm...If I remember correctly, when I received my admissions package from Syracuse, they stated that funding for the Maxwell School would be sent out before April 1st. Hence, we should receive word on funding in the next few weeks.

Did you also apply for the Public Diplomacy program?

Did you also apply for the Public Diplomacy program?

No. I just applied to the MPA/MA-IR program offered by the Maxwell School. Do you plan on accepting the offer for this particular program or do you have your eyes set on another program?

Anyone from DC going to the admitted students reception on Thurs? Want to meet up beforehand?

Also, if anyone from DC is going to the MPA or MA-IR (or both) visiting weekends...want to carpool?

I'll be flying in for visitors weekend blingem. Is anyone else coming to this event?

I'll be flying in for visitors weekend blingem. Is anyone else coming to this event?

I'm going back and forth, myself. It's looking like the flight alone will cost me over $400. I feel like I already have a good idea about the program already (I watched the panel discussion video from last year, which I found to be informative.) Unless one of the DC schools offers me big money and/or Syracuse offers me absolutely nothing (which is rather unlikely), I'm pretty confident I'll end up at Maxwell.

I'm going back and forth, myself. It's looking like the flight alone will cost me over $400. I feel like I already have a good idea about the program already (I watched the panel discussion video from last year, which I found to be informative.) Unless one of the DC schools offers me big money and/or Syracuse offers me absolutely nothing (which is rather unlikely), I'm pretty confident I'll end up at Maxwell.

I am going out there mainly to look for housing for my wife and I. Also, it will be nice to get an idea about there Arabic language classes that are available. Right now, I am waiting for funding like yourself, but I hope out of all the funding I end up with the FLAS fellowship, which is a pretty substantial amount. I assume you will be out there around June or whatnot if all goes as you think it will right now.

Edited by DevDoc82

I am going out there mainly to look for housing for my wife and I. Also, it will be nice to get an idea about there Arabic language classes that are available. Right now, I am waiting for funding like yourself, but I hope out of all the funding I end up with the FLAS fellowship, which is a pretty substantial amount. I assume you will be out there around June or whatnot if all goes as you think it will right now.

My wife won't finish her program here in Portland until later in the summer, so I plan on subletting a room during the Summer term and looking for housing then. My big problem is going to be trying to coordinate the move. I was counting on that week gap between the end of summer term and the beginning of fall to fly back and work on getting our stuff moved over, but I noticed in the letter of admission that there's a three day IR orientation that week. Time to start thinking about how much of our stuff to move and how best to do it....

My wife won't finish her program here in Portland until later in the summer, so I plan on subletting a room during the Summer term and looking for housing then. My big problem is going to be trying to coordinate the move. I was counting on that week gap between the end of summer term and the beginning of fall to fly back and work on getting our stuff moved over, but I noticed in the letter of admission that there's a three day IR orientation that week. Time to start thinking about how much of our stuff to move and how best to do it....

I would check into ABF moving. You can use the pods, which will probably make the move a little easier. Also, I think you can store your items for some time as well. However, I am not sure on the specifics. Also, if you do not mind me asking, what are you planning to concentrate in for your MPA and MA-IR?

So, I was just wondering, have any of you heard anything on funding from the Maxwell School? Does anyone know last year's trend when such information had been released? It would be nice to know where we stand in terms of funding.

Edited by DevDoc82

So, I was just wondering, have any of you heard anything on funding from the Maxwell School? Does anyone know last year's trend when such information had been released? It would be nice to know where we stand in terms of funding.

I did a little searching on the forums and found posts from around March 17th-20th of last year where people reference funding amounts. Hopefully that means we'll hear back next week sometime.

(Thanks for the moving company tip, btw.)

Ok so a week great.

I'm thinking about going to the welcome weekend, but I'm currently in Colombia and it will cost me about $700 to buy a round trip right now.....arrrrgg. I wonder if its worth it. I've watched the pre recorded videos from last year, but am just not sure if i should go all the way up there for 2 days! Did anyone who signed up check the box to stay with a current student? I just filled out the form a week late and am wondering if I have a chance of staying with somone for free still. I guess couch surfing could work if necessary.

Ok so a week great.

I'm thinking about going to the welcome weekend, but I'm currently in Colombia and it will cost me about $700 to buy a round trip right now.....arrrrgg. I wonder if its worth it. I've watched the pre recorded videos from last year, but am just not sure if i should go all the way up there for 2 days! Did anyone who signed up check the box to stay with a current student? I just filled out the form a week late and am wondering if I have a chance of staying with somone for free still. I guess couch surfing could work if necessary.

If you are thinking about going for sure, which days are you going to? Right now, I am scheduled for March 31(MPA) and April 1-2(MA-IR). In watching the 2010 Welcome Weekend video, do you think you obtained enough information to make a decision on the program? This is were the money will make the difference on the trip. Meaning, if you are not sure about the program going to this event may assuage your concerns or help you make a choice. Also, I did not check the box to stay with a student. I have made other arrangements. Best of luck to you on this decision.

I feel like the welcome video was more of an advertisement and not as informative as I would have liked. While I think the student questionnaire video was more informative. I'm waiting to hear from another school before I make my decision, but am liking the program at maxwell the more I look into it. But whether I get into the other school or not, I would want to go check out Syracuse. While I was admitted to the MAIR program, I might be interested in the MPA program as well, although I wasn't planning on going to the MPA day the 31st, just the 1st and 2nd.

If you are thinking about going for sure, which days are you going to? Right now, I am scheduled for March 31(MPA) and April 1-2(MA-IR). In watching the 2010 Welcome Weekend video, do you think you obtained enough information to make a decision on the program? This is were the money will make the difference on the trip. Meaning, if you are not sure about the program going to this event may assuage your concerns or help you make a choice. Also, I did not check the box to stay with a student. I have made other arrangements. Best of luck to you on this decision.

I feel like the welcome video was more of an advertisement and not as informative as I would have liked. While I think the student questionnaire video was more informative. I'm waiting to hear from another school before I make my decision, but am liking the program at maxwell the more I look into it. But whether I get into the other school or not, I would want to go check out Syracuse. While I was admitted to the MAIR program, I might be interested in the MPA program as well, although I wasn't planning on going to the MPA day the 31st, just the 1st and 2nd.

If it helps any, every opportunity I have had to speak with anyone from the Maxwell School, they have been very helpful in answering my question. I am looking into International Development as a career, and the MPA/MA-IR are a great combination in that sense. After plotting out my courses, I realize that you can make the program into whatever you want, customizing it to fit your personal goals. The aspect I like is the fact that the Global Development track has a lot of cross over with the International and Development Administration emphasis under the MPA program. This gives me more options to choose from within the MA-IR program, concerning Global Development, which in the end will give me a robust education and skill set.

So, some of the electives I will take for my MPA degree are cross listed with the Global Development track, which will allow me to take more courses in this field. My second track, Global Markets, only augments this plan of action with more quantitative skills. Whatever your desire is, I bet you can tailor your program to meet your needs. Also, seeing that you are abroad right now, the program has a plethora of options for abroad internships. I spoke with a lady, named Samantha, concerning internships and going abroad. She stated that whatever your desire maybe, they are willing to do whatever it takes to get you where you want to go. Most of my questions dealt with programs they did not have, but still she stated that they could find a way with there connections. I hope my two cents helps.

Thx for the replies Devdoc. Yea I would be concentrating on Global development as well (with the leadership/ngo mgmnt as a 2nd minor concentration) since I too want to work in ID. I haven't been able to see online where/how the courses would overlap with the MPA degree in terms of exact courses that I could take for electives etc. I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth it to stay in school an extra 2 semesters (monitarily and timewise) or more for the MPA and be abroad less, or go for two semesters at maxwell then two abroad with just the MAIR (and possibly a certificate). I read somewhere that it is possible to add the MPA once you start just the MAIR, so I might end up doing that once I get more information to be able to make a decision.

If it helps any, every opportunity I have had to speak with anyone from the Maxwell School, they have been very helpful in answering my question. I am looking into International Development as a career, and the MPA/MA-IR are a great combination in that sense. After plotting out my courses, I realize that you can make the program into whatever you want, customizing it to fit your personal goals. The aspect I like is the fact that the Global Development track has a lot of cross over with the International and Development Administration emphasis under the MPA program. This gives me more options to choose from within the MA-IR program, concerning Global Development, which in the end will give me a robust education and skill set.

So, some of the electives I will take for my MPA degree are cross listed with the Global Development track, which will allow me to take more courses in this field. My second track, Global Markets, only augments this plan of action with more quantitative skills. Whatever your desire is, I bet you can tailor your program to meet your needs. Also, seeing that you are abroad right now, the program has a plethora of options for abroad internships. I spoke with a lady, named Samantha, concerning internships and going abroad. She stated that whatever your desire maybe, they are willing to do whatever it takes to get you where you want to go. Most of my questions dealt with programs they did not have, but still she stated that they could find a way with there connections. I hope my two cents helps.

Use this link: http://www.maxwell.s...te%20Handbook(1).pdf

Then, scroll down to the Global Development section. You will notice under the Selected GDP courses, most of the courses state that they are x-listed as PPA #. This means that the courses can be taken under the MPA. Hence, allotting you the opportunity to take more Global Development courses than otherwise possible under the MA-IR program.

Edited by DevDoc82

Then, scroll down to the Global Development section. You will notice under the Selected GDP courses, most of the courses state that they are x-listed as PPA #. This means that the courses can be taken under the MPA. Hence, allotting you the opportunity to take more Global Development courses than otherwise possible under the MA-IR program.

Ok, the link does not work, but if you go to the IR program page and click on New Students. Then, go to the "To-Do-List" Tab. Under this you will see list of items. Go to number 2 and select student handbook. Then you will be able to find the information I am talking about. Also, from what I have been told, adding a second masters degree is fairly easy to and recommended.

Edited by DevDoc82

Ive read through that, but ill go back and check it since I didn't know what the PPA meant! Thanks!!!

Edited by palabared

I've been looking at funding levels for past applicants. Have heard of a very few full fellowships and RAships (20 hrs/wk), but also some 40% total cost of attendance packages. Are there any current maxwell students lurking on the board who can talk about their funding packages?

Have any current applicants called to check on the status of their funding letter?

Ive read through that, but ill go back and check it since I didn't know what the PPA meant! Thanks!!!

I've been looking at funding levels for past applicants. Have heard of a very few full fellowships and RAships (20 hrs/wk), but also some 40% total cost of attendance packages. Are there any current maxwell students lurking on the board who can talk about their funding packages?

Have any current applicants called to check on the status of their funding letter?

I thought about asking yesterday, but I could not bring myself to do it.

An alumn I spoke to said he received a full fellowship plus living stipend to attend Maxwell, though I have not met anyone who received any other type of scholarship.

I wanted to call and ask about funding decisions, but I chickened out.

I thought about asking yesterday, but I could not bring myself to do it.

Ha! Well I guess I'm a chicken too!.

CC139, did you have any idea of the student's background, etc. who you talked to? Did the question "how the hell did you do that?!" slip out? :)

An alumn I spoke to said he received a full fellowship plus living stipend to attend Maxwell, though I have not met anyone who received any other type of scholarship.

Some of the current students I have spoken with stated that the best funding they have heard an individual get is the fellowship. However, they stated that the Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship is a sweeter deal, as it pays for 24 graduate credit and includes a $15, 000. You must re-apply each year for this fellowship.