Maxwell MPA/MA-IR

DevDoc82

Womp. The deadline for that was March 11.

Some of the current students I have spoken with stated that the best funding they have heard an individual get is the fellowship. However, they stated that the Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship is a sweeter deal, as it pays for 24 graduate credit and includes a $15, 000. You must re-apply each year for this fellowship.

Womp. The deadline for that was March 11.

You can always apply for next year's FLAS cycle. Their is hope. The only problem is that FLAS programs at various school offer a limit number of languages. Syracuse offers Pashto (Afghani), Persian, and Hindi. If you are into development Hindi is a hot spot.

Edited by DevDoc82

Any idea what that got him?

He stated that it pay for most of his school, which is a generality. He did not go into amount details. Also, he obtained a stipend as well to help with living expenses or whatnot.

They mention that some additional funding becomes available after you get there. There are also university wide fellowships offered beyond the departmental ones in the Maxwell School. Even if I come away empty-handed, I'm pretty confident I'm going to accept regardless, then try for a TA/RA/GA-ship once I'm there. The assistantships I've heard about have all been 24 credits of tuition remission with varying stipends.

Wow, thats really great.

They mention that some additional funding becomes available after you get there. There are also university wide fellowships offered beyond the departmental ones in the Maxwell School. Even if I come away empty-handed, I'm pretty confident I'm going to accept regardless, then try for a TA/RA/GA-ship once I'm there. The assistantships I've heard about have all been 24 credits of tuition remission with varying stipends.

Did anyone else receive an email for Syracuse's Financial Aid office? At first I thought maybe the Maxwell School has made decisions on funding, but I am not sure what to make of it. It asked that I activate my university account and check my financial To-Do-List. However, the website is a mess and impossible to navigate. Any thoughts on this?

Did anyone else receive an email for Syracuse's Financial Aid office? At first I thought maybe the Maxwell School has made decisions on funding, but I am not sure what to make of it. It asked that I activate my university account and check my financial To-Do-List. However, the website is a mess and impossible to navigate. Any thoughts on this?

I haven't received anything from their Financial Aid office yet. Have you officially accepted already?

The most recent email I received was yesterday about Welcome Weekend/Funding Graduate Study Webinar/the office moving to a different part of the building.

Yeah, I got this Friday, after being accepted about two weeks ago. Eventually I managed to create an ID for myself and log in, and my financial to-do list had an SU finacial aid application form that needed to be filled out... which was impossible to do because it asked for info regarding graduate awards, which I haven't received any information about yet.

I sent an email to the financial office today asking about it, but they said it might take 3-5 business days for a response. Hmm.

They actually got back to me pretty quick!

Dear X,

The Office of Financial Aid received your message, thank you. We recommend that you wait until

your academic department notifies you of your merit awards, which are grants, scholarships, assistantships

and fellowships, before completing our loan-request form.

By submitting your form to us later, you will help us to more accurately calculate your loan eligibility.

We appreciate your assistance with this process.

Sincerely,

The Office of Financial Aid

Has anyone heard any rumblings on when we'll hear about merit funding awards?

Carthage,

Thanks for posting that info up. Are you doing the MA-IR only, or are you doing a dual degree program of any sorts? Best of luck on the merit-based awards.

Carthage,

Thanks for posting that info up. Are you doing the MA-IR only, or are you doing a dual degree program of any sorts? Best of luck on the merit-based awards.

I only applied to the MA-IR program, but I've read on their website you can apply during your first semester to be considered for dual programs, and I'm vaguely considering an IR / Economics plan. Not entirely sure how feasible (or sane) that would be.

Blingem, my welcome package had a sheet saying we should hear about any awards by April 1st.

Has anyone heard any rumblings on when we'll hear about merit funding awards?

I went to the admitted students day in DC last week and asked about this. They said they planned to have all of the funding decisions made by the end of this week, so hopefully they will send out the letters/emails by Monday...?

I also heard the same things from alums there about even if you don't get funding initially, a lot of people manage to get something secured during the year, but they "can't guarantee anything."

No one has heard anything today?

I went to the admitted students day in DC last week and asked about this. They said they planned to have all of the funding decisions made by the end of this week, so hopefully they will send out the letters/emails by Monday...?

I also heard the same things from alums there about even if you don't get funding initially, a lot of people manage to get something secured during the year, but they "can't guarantee anything."

No one has heard anything today?

Nope, all quiet over here. Not really expecting to get much/any funding, but it would be nice to find out and be able to finally make a decision.

Nope, all quiet over here. Not really expecting to get much/any funding, but it would be nice to find out and be able to finally make a decision.

I'm in the same spot. Since it appears that I got passed over on the first rounds of funding from the other schools I got into, I'm expecting zero from Syracuse, but I really want to know for sure. I'm pretty positive I'm going to Syracuse either way, but I feel like I should get all the info before accepting admission (and declining other schools).

Any news about funding today? I was expecting to hear by the end of the week.

No news on this end. I bet Monday is the day we should know what amount of funding/lack of funding we will be receiving.

ya nothing here

I hope we didn't all get passed up...

If assistantships are the most common award, then the decision is probably more individual than other schools' fellowships so we might not all hear at the same time. The website says "Don't contact professors directly, assistantships are awarded by the dept." but are they gonna make a professor work with someone he/she doesn't want or didn't have a hand in selecting?