Lexington, KY

Ralphie

There's a bunch of options, depending on how much you want to pay and how close to campus you want to be. I would recommend the southern part of the circle (around Tates Creek, Chinoe Rd). That's a really nice residential area not too far from campus and close to the shopping and stuff on Richmond Rd and Nicholasville. There's a bunch of apartment complexes there. I live in Chinoe Creek apartments, which I really like, but I can't think of any of the names of the others off the top of my head.

The only bad area I know of is on North Limestone St.

There's also a lot of apartments in downtown Lexington, but those are more of the student/party central ones. I bet you could find some that weren't as much, but I'm not as familiar with apartments around there.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I started a UK graduate student group on Facebook that can serve as a meet and greet! If you go on facebook, just search "UK graduate students." Please join and invite people from your program! :)

• 9 months later...

Hey all,

I just accepted an offer from UK's Agricultural Economics program and I am looking for places to stay in Lexington. I currently live in Louisville, KY but I have absolutely zero knowledge of Lexington and the best places to live there.

From what I understand, Lexington is an undergraduate town. I want to be as far away from undergraduates as possible (specifically the burning couches). Any thoughts/insights on what would be a nice quiet neighborhood with plenty of things in proximity (coffee shops, bars, etc.) are welcome. Also, I will be on a graduate assistant's salary so it has to be affordable.

Shaheer

Hey thanks a lot. I had looked through the postings earlier and couldn't find anything. I'm surprised to see there really isn't much about Lexington on here.

• 1 year later...

I just graduated with my BA from UK and I'm about to start my PhD there, too. Let me know if you have any questions about UK or Lexington, I'll be happy to answer them!

Most of the grad students I know at UKy live downtown and walk or bike to campus. The entire campus/downtown area is pretty easily walkable and very pedestrian friendly from my (very limited) experience there. We only really saw undergrads at one bar downtown (don't remember the name, it's by the big empty square with the fence around it) but I imagine it's worse when there are sporting events going on. I didn't really like that bar anyway.

• 2 months later...

I am from OH and applying to the University of Kentucky, I REALLY want to go to this school.  I am just wondering what the campus is like, the people the social scene? I have a handicap so I definitely want something I can drive to and from classes ideally, do you think this would be a good campus? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Specifically about the handicap worry- driving can be long when coming from certain areas at certian times (like any big city). I however have an easy commute that varies from 5-15 minutes depending on traffic.

If your handicap is one that allows for a disabled permit, they have permanent ones you can get to park closer to buildings on UK's campus.

Specifically about the handicap worry- driving can be long when coming from certain areas at certian times (like any big city). I however have an easy commute that varies from 5-15 minutes depending on traffic.

If your handicap is one that allows for a disabled permit, they have permanent ones you can get to park closer to buildings on UK's campus.

Really? I graduated from Kent State and I had a handicap parking pass so I was used to parking closer to buildings. I can walk it would just take me forever if I had to walk from one end of campus to the other.  Thank you 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lexington is a great city to live in. If I hadn't grown up here, I would have no problem staying here. Lexington does not have too many bad parts but I would say generally you want to stay just south of downtown. State street/University ave/Waller ave/Conn terr. are all party streets for undergrads, so avoid that side of campus, unless you are into burning couches when the bball team wins.Anything along Euclid avenue tends to be nice housing, all within a 5-10 minute walk to class. There are a few parts just north of downtown that are kind of bad. However, the north side has been changing dramatically over the past couple of years and has become kind of a "hip" area with all the new microbreweries (West Sixth Brewery is the place to be), coffee shops, bike shops. The city has also become more "artsy" , they even let famous graffiti artists paint beautiful murals in certain areas (mostly just north of downtown). If you aren't wanting a big city like NYC, it is nice. If you like outdoors, the Red River Gorge is about a 50 minute drive , it is beautiful and internationally known for it's rock climbing. Go enjoy the horse racing, bourbon, and basketball!

• 10 months later...

I have done a visit, but still interested in what others can offer for insight...I am particularly interested in:

- best areas of town to live

- insight on public transpo 

- is there a bike lane system and how is the bike culture for getting around town?

- good things to know about campus and town (for a 40 yr old)

- good outdoor areas/stuff to do...hiking, camping, etc

• 2 years later...

Anyone have any suggestions for apartment complexes near campus that aren't filled with undergrads? Hoping for within 1 mile from campus!

• 2 years later...

Just in case anyone is looking at this thread, I'd love to hear from current grad students who live in Lexington. I'm still deciding between UK and one other program, but if I choose UK I'll be moving with me partner and be looking to buy a house. Curious about the neighborhoods and what a reasonable distance would be (20 mins? 30 mins?). Thanks!