Notre Dame

ministerofculture

• 3 weeks later...

*waves hi*

I never noticed this thread...I guess it got buried pretty quick. I'm going to ND in the fall to start work on an engineering Ph.D.

Any other future Domers around here?

Is anyone else worried that the winter in South Bend is going to give them major depression? I'm from the South where we don't have much of a winter at all. I can get used to snow, but I'm afraid the lack of daylight combined with the stresses of a grad program will affect my mood. I may be getting one of those "fake sunlight" lamps. :lol:

Before investing in a sunlamp, you should find yourself a GOOD winter coat, gloves, a hat, and boots. They should be pretty cheap this time of year. Then you should spend some time at a skating rink learning how to walk on ice. The school and town are pretty good about treating roads and sidewalks, but winter does take a little getting used to.

Nothing really shuts down in the South Bend area, except at the height of the very worst storms, so it doesn't get as depressing as you'd think. My roommate in grad housing had never seen snow before, and aside from being cold, he seemed to have a blast.

If you have a bit of extra money, you might consider getting an automatic car starter, so you can get the heat running in your car while you're still inside.

I posted a bunch of stuff in the South Bend/Notre Dame thread a while ago, hope it helps.

UndraftedFreeAgent - Already got the great winter coat! I snagged it on a clearance sale (it was originally $300 - I got it for $125) and had a chance to give it a test run on my visit up thereI love it - it's lined with Thinsulate so it's very warm without being bulky at all. I have good boots and leather gloves, too. As far as hats - I crochet, so I make all my own hats. :)

And thank you for your posts in the South Bend thread, they were very helpful!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use