Criminal Justice / Criminology 2011 Application Season

So it's a new year for Criminal Justice / Criminology grad students, and I just wanted to see how everyone is doing. Are most of us getting in?

After about 6 weeks of nailbiting, I got my first reply and it was an acceptance from Penn State. They're only taking 9 people this year, so I was pretty happy. Still waiting for the 5 other schools to see where else I get in and what else they offer, but at least it won't be so bad now. I see some UMD results posted, so I'm starting to think I'm headed for rejection there.

How about you guys? What kinds of offers are you getting?

I got my first reply from UCIrvine PhD, and I will join the open house on late March.

However, I was rejected by Upenn, which surprised me...I graduated from there (LL.M), I thought I got a big chance there in Upenn...

I saw someone heard from the Maryland. I am thinking the rejection, too.

Edited by puma

I got my admission to UMD deferred last year, so I am just waiting to hear about funding now. The only other school I applied to this year was SUNY-Albany, and after a phone interview I am basically waitlisted. The dean told me they are admitting 6-7 depending on funding and I am number 8, so my chances are fairly good. Yay! After year working in the criminal justice system, I am ready to head back to school.

Got rejected by SUNY Albany. My application there was about 3 weeks late due to delays in getting a transcript from the goons at my undergrad school, so I can't say I'm surprised.

U of Cincinnati is reviewing applications on Thursday, FYI.

Got rejected by SUNY Albany. My application there was about 3 weeks late due to delays in getting a transcript from the goons at my undergrad school, so I can't say I'm surprised.

U of Cincinnati is reviewing applications on Thursday, FYI.

What are your stats like? I am applying the upcoming cycle.

Albanski, check your private messages. I don't want to post my details publicly until I've formally accepted an offer--hopefully you understand. I can summarize by saying that I'm elated at how well things are going. I should mention that I only applied to Ph.D programs; I assume you are applying for MA/MS programs because I didn't recall any Ph.D programs that start in the Spring. My first response was an acceptance with funding, so since then I've been able to ride out a few rejections pretty nicely. The only thing gnawing at me is UMD--their deadline was the earliest (over 12 weeks ago at this point) and they haven't responded yet.

A_Murphy, are you a UMD alum? If not, are you able to log on to Testudo to check your application status? I'm just curious to see if non-alums can use Testudo as well.

No, I'm not an alum. According to this page: "When a final Graduate School decision has been made you will receive an email notice to inform you that your decision letter is available to view online. You can view the letter through the 'Check application status’ section of your Application Supplemental Form (ASF)."

When I go there, it doesn't say anything beyond that my application is complete.

I haven´t heard from Penn State yet. Is it common for them to start accepting students but don´t send out rejection until much later?

So it's a new year for Criminal Justice / Criminology grad students, and I just wanted to see how everyone is doing. Are most of us getting in?

After about 6 weeks of nailbiting, I got my first reply and it was an acceptance from Penn State. They're only taking 9 people this year, so I was pretty happy. Still waiting for the 5 other schools to see where else I get in and what else they offer, but at least it won't be so bad now. I see some UMD results posted, so I'm starting to think I'm headed for rejection there.

How about you guys? What kinds of offers are you getting?

I haven´t heard from Penn State yet. Is it common for them to start accepting students but don´t send out rejection until much later?

Obviously I don't know because I'm new, but considering how long ago they started accepting students, I think you should just contact the program directly to get confirmation. Everyone I've spoken to has been extremely helpful there so far.