Columbia

fallfromgrace667

Anyone else gotten into Columbia? I got into the CS masters program. But it does not appear that I'll be getting any aid so I don't know if I'll be able to go. I've visited the campus and it is very nice. It kind of feels like an Ivy even though its in Manhattan. What does everyone else think?

we have financial aid from Columbia U. but both of us, at the best situation, have 5000$ per month. So, we found out that it is not enough for having a good life in NYC, so we decided to go U michigan ann arbor with at least 4000$ per month and have a better life there. That is amazing: NY with it's high expense offered us just 1000$ more. It seems that they want us to have a life as low level as a simple worker.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This is late, I know, but for anyone who checks this forum later: it's totally possible to have a good life in New York on $5,000/month! Shima is coming with two people so it's a bit trickier, but in the less expensive parts of New York (Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx) you can find a nice two-bedroom apartment for $2,000 (or less -- me and my roommate pay $1,850 for ours and it's spacious by New York standards). My monthly stipend is a little over $2,100 a month; my rent + utilities usually come out to around $1,000/month, leaving me around $1,000 for food, other necessities, and fun. It's enough. Unless you like hanging out at bars every weekend and ordering $100+ drinks a night you can easily have fun and a good life out here. I know graduate students getting by on $20,000/year stipends (mine is around $25,000/year, for 12 months) and less. If you want to come here, it's possible, you just have to do some planning.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use