Relocating / Shipping

Hey guys,

I'm based in the UK and will be moving to Cambridge, MA this fall- does anyone know any good shipping companies? I won't have too much but don't want to pay loads for excess baggage!

Also what is the deal with cell phone contracts in the US?

There is so much to sort out, any advice would be great! smile.gif

Hey guys,

I'm based in the UK and will be moving to Cambridge, MA this fall- does anyone know any good shipping companies? I won't have too much but don't want to pay loads for excess baggage!

In terms of cell phones, if you don't mind having a pre-paid plan just bring an unlocked phone with you to the States, you can purchase a pre-paid SIM card from any of the majors (I always use AT&T when Im in the States) and then you don't have to give any deposit at all.

You might think a pre-paid plan would be a huge pain but Ive had one ever since I moved to Turkey two years ago, turns out with a pre-paid plan i spend WAY less money per month since I only sign up for the things I need; when I was in the States my monthly bill was $130, in Turkey it's 20$. I just load more money on my phone each month & reload my phone with the packages I want every month. it's really not a hassle AT ALL and way worth the savings.

In terms of cell phones, if you don't mind having a pre-paid plan just bring an unlocked phone with you to the States, you can purchase a pre-paid SIM card from any of the majors (I always use AT&T when Im in the States) and then you don't have to give any deposit at all.

You might think a pre-paid plan would be a huge pain but Ive had one ever since I moved to Turkey two years ago, turns out with a pre-paid plan i spend WAY less money per month since I only sign up for the things I need; when I was in the States my monthly bill was $130, in Turkey it's 20$. I just load more money on my phone each month & reload my phone with the packages I want every month. it's really not a hassle AT ALL and way worth the savings.

And what is a pre-paid plan?

And what is a pre-paid plan?

A pre-paid plan is when you add money to your phone first, which you can then use to make calls and text. The company charges you a fixed amount for each call and text, and you can use the phone until the money runs out. Once the money runs out, you go to the store and add more money (if you like to pay cash) or call customer service and add money (if you use a credit card).

For example, when I go to the States I immediately go to AT&T. I pay 50$ and get a pre-paid SIM card and about 40$ credit on my phone, ready to use (the first time you sign up you have to pay for the SIM card, which is 10$ or so- I cant remember exactly).

So now I have 40$ on my phone to use how I want. For example, I usually get the 1000 text plan for $10, or the unlimited text plan for 15$ (they expire every 30 days). You can also buy minutes for phone calls. After that, I can use the phone until my credit runs out. Once it runs out, I reload it with cash, and so on and so forth.

If you're planning on staying long-term, it might be best to pay for the unlimited talking/texting plan, which runs about 60$ for one month I believe. Anyway, there's a bunch of options but the great thing is that it's a la carte & theres no contract. The important thing is that you MUST bring your own, unlocked phone. Because they might get you with the phone fees if you're an international and make you pay a deposit. But if you have your own phone, you should be fine.

EDIT: I hope this is clear enough. I'm in the middle of wine hour so .... I'll check it in the morning.

Edited by Zouzax

EDIT: I hope this is clear enough. I'm in the middle of wine hour so .... I'll check it in the morning.

It's quite clear, thanks Zouzax!! :)

About the pre-paid plan: well, that's how everybody does it in my country. First you pay money and then you talk - I didn't know it could be different...

So another option is - first I talk and then I pay money? :huh:

I guess I like the idea of the unlimited texting/talking plan for $60!

And I will certainly bring my cell-phone. So it means I will have no problems with this huge deposit (meaning that I won't have to pay it)? Yay! B)

Thanks again! Enjoy your wine :)

It's quite clear, thanks Zouzax!! :)

About the pre-paid plan: well, that's how everybody does it in my country. First you pay money and then you talk - I didn't know it could be different...

So another option is - first I talk and then I pay money? :huh:

I guess I like the idea of the unlimited texting/talking plan for $60!

And I will certainly bring my cell-phone. So it means I will have no problems with this huge deposit (meaning that I won't have to pay it)? Yay! B)

Thanks again! Enjoy your wine :)

In my opinion, the only benefit of having a contract is that you get a phone for a really discounted price, and most companies offer you a new, free phone every 2 years with the contract. Also, if you're prone to losing/breaking your phone as I am, you can sign up for insurance and get a replacement for a 50$ or so co-pay. Besides that, I don't see any benefit of signing up for a contract. I'm just really careful with the phone I have & pay for caling/text when I need to. It's one less bill that comes to my house & Id rather have the freedom of no contract. Not everyone may agree with me, but I think is the best. Maybe some international students already in the States can shed some light on what is the best option for you all.

One more sip of wine & then off to bed ... the benefits of teaching on Sunday mornings! sigh. tongue.gif

You might want to try a pre-paid service like Straight Talk. You have to buy a phone, but sometimes, they have offers and the phones come free. It's $45 a month for an unlimited plan, and there's a $30 plan as well with some limitations. It's on the Verizon network, so connectivity is awesome. And if you set it up to auto-refill every month, they'll deduct the fees from your credit card, and it's just like having a post-paid service..

Check it out here.

for relocating/shipping: bring your clothes and personal stuff. drop everything else. there are thrift stores and shops where you can buy used items for wayy wayy cheap. starting off this way wouldn't be a bad idea.

This. I'm planning to just pack my suitcases with my clothes, personal stuff, some books and laptop. I don't plan on taking anything else at all.

Edited by newms

Me too, but there is no chance I will be able to pack a 20 kg maximum suitcase with clothes (for different seasons, different occasions, shoes, handbags), books, computer (+ external harddrive + other small but heavy stuff). I will bring the allowed 1 suitcase. Then I will send one or two boxes via a shipping company for very little money (at least cheaper than checking another 20 kg suitcase).

Me too, but there is no chance I will be able to pack a 20 kg maximum suitcase with clothes (for different seasons, different occasions, shoes, handbags), books, computer (+ external harddrive + other small but heavy stuff). I will bring the allowed 1 suitcase. Then I will send one or two boxes via a shipping company for very little money (at least cheaper than checking another 20 kg suitcase).

you must be in europe then (for 20kg and 1 suitcase only allowance)? regardless, check ticket prices and baggage policies for different airlines. some might allow you to carry 23kg + 2 suitcases + carry-on (i've easily carried upto 10kg when in dire needs) + one personal item each (laptop, camera, etc). if there are no carriers that provide you with this option, then yes, shipping light items such as clothes would be the smartest thing to do. then again, bring stuff that will survive you for a year or so. once you start living here (or anywhere else), you will start buying new stuff as the old stuff starts to look obsolete.

I guess I'm lucky then, cause where I'm from I can check 2 suitcases.

Edited by newms

Yes, I'm in Europe.

But I already did some research. Two boxes with 30 kg each (wich is A LOT) would cost me under 300 Euros from door to door, packing material included. If I only send one box, it's even cheaper. So I think I will just bring summer clothes/shoes and other necessary items and send the rest as a package. I don't have a lot of clothes, because I didn't buy much new stuff. I thought: Why buy new stuff if I may not be able to bring it with me? I'm also obsessed with cosmetics and stuff, but I try to use up as much as possible now because there is no way I will pay extra money for bringing ten different choices of body lotion or hand cream :D

Yes, I'm in Europe.

But I already did some research. Two boxes with 30 kg each (wich is A LOT) would cost me under 300 Euros from door to door, packing material included.

HOLY!! that's a lot of money. for that much, you can buy tons of things here. i think you don't even have to ship anything unless you really want those things.

It's called seven seas worldwide - (sevenseasworldwide.com) - I have the link from this forum.

But my dad works at a company which has good contacts to shipping companies and may be able to give me an even cheaper price.

I will still have to do some thinking if I really want to send two boxes or just one. But for 300 euros, you can't buy a whole winter wardrobe (and I'm not a person who wears designer brands at all, I'm mostly the H&M type of girl). So I'd rather bring my winter shoes/coat/clothes with me instead of spending the money to buy it all new. And there are some items that are really important to me. But I haven't figured it out completely yet (I don't even have an admit). I will make a list of what I really want/need and then see what's the cheapest option.

How did you manage to carry 6 suitcases? Or were you able to take a taxi straight from the airport to your apartment, without having to change planes/trains/busses/whatever? I can't imagine bringing so much with me. I had trouble returning home after my research stay in the US one year ago with two suitcases, a carry-on and a handbag.

Hey guys,

I had no idea about the contract fees people are talking about but I am still lucky and pay for my share of a family plan. However, I will probably be switching to a no-contract service because they have cheaper data plans.

Some of my friends used MetroPCS. You can add a feature that is abt 10/month and call overseas numbers, I believe. My friend used this to call her friends instead of those prepaid phone cards. I don't know if there will be service where you are going or if they have some fee they will charge you, but you could check them out http://www.metropcs.com/