PhD programs that offer "consolation" Masters?

Hi! I've been lurking around the board like an academic gremlin, and I have a pertinent question regarding this application season. Apologies if this has been posted before. Here goes:

I've applied to seven PhD program in Political Science, sub-field focus in American. However, it looks unlikely that this season will yield any acceptances for me. (I've also applied to three Masters programs because I didn't preclude the possibility of being shut-out this season). The PhD programs I've applied to are as follows:

Columbia University

Brown University

Princeton University

Rutgers University

University of Rochester

CUNY Graduate Center

NYU

My question is this: Besides Columbia University, which of these programs is known to offer a "consolation" Masters, or at least review the applicant's file in consideration of this? It may be paranoia, but as the application season gets down to the wire, I just wanted to pacify my raging nerves. Thanks in advance! :)

It's not worth borrowing money for these MAs. You're looking at borrowing anywhere between $40,000-$80,000, more if you're also borrowing to cover cost of living.

If I can ask, is there a reason you're bound to the Northeast? If you're not place-bound and apply widely in terms of rank, you should be able to get a funded offer in a program that fits your interests.

It's not worth borrowing money for these MAs. You're looking at borrowing anywhere between $40,000-$80,000, more if you're also borrowing to cover cost of living.

If I can ask, is there a reason you're bound to the Northeast? If you're not place-bound and apply widely in terms of rank, you should be able to get a funded offer in a program that fits your interests.

Unfortunately, I'm bound by marital and family obligations. Caring for a parent. But I can see the value in your statement. Much appreciated food for thought!

I'm sorry to hear that. (EDIT: Sorry to hear about the family obligations, not sorry that you're married!)

Depending on what you study in American, I'd throw in Yale, Penn, Stony Brook, and Connecticut.

What makes your application situation difficult is that your list is pretty polarized in terms of program rank. You have top-15 schools (Princeton, Columbia, NYU and Rochester) and schools that are around 50th or below (Brown, Rutgers, CUNY). Within your geographic range, Penn and Stony Brook are the only programs I can think of that are somewhere in between. Since the application process is such a crapshoot, your "true" level of placement may be at a school between 20th and 50th, but you would end up effectively shut out from the top programs and then "underplaced" at a lower-ranked school with your current list of schools.

Also, there are horror stories about the funding packages and amount of TA work put on students at CUNY. I looked into applying because of a couple of scholars there, but professors in my network warned me off the place.

Edited by slacktivist

Hi! I've been lurking around the board like an academic gremlin, and I have a pertinent question regarding this application season. Apologies if this has been posted before. Here goes:

I've applied to seven PhD program in Political Science, sub-field focus in American. However, it looks unlikely that this season will yield any acceptances for me. (I've also applied to three Masters programs because I didn't preclude the possibility of being shut-out this season). The PhD programs I've applied to are as follows:

Columbia University

Brown University

Princeton University

Rutgers University

University of Rochester

CUNY Graduate Center

NYU

My question is this: Besides Columbia University, which of these programs is known to offer a "consolation" Masters, or at least review the applicant's file in consideration of this? It may be paranoia, but as the application season gets down to the wire, I just wanted to pacify my raging nerves. Thanks in advance! :)

I'm also applying mostly in the NYC area and interested in consolation MAs.

I know that NYU also offers one. It's a box that you check when you fill out the online application. It says, please consider me for a Masters if I am not admitted into the PhD program.

I'm also applying mostly in the NYC area and interested in consolation MAs.

I know that NYU also offers one. It's a box that you check when you fill out the online application. It says, please consider me for a Masters if I am not admitted into the PhD program.

Yeah, besides Columbia and NYU, I'm at a loss. I know some of the programs do it "off the books" if they don't explicitly state it. This application season is looking uglier than a three headed dog for me, and I'd like to know if my apps will be reviewed for AT LEAST a MA. I'm thinking Rochester and Rutgers is a no-go, since I already have my rejections from them :lol: Maybe Brown or Princeton? Perhaps it's a practice reserved for the more "elite" institutions because of the influx of prospective students. I don't know. Help! lol

I'm sorry to hear that. (EDIT: Sorry to hear about the family obligations, not sorry that you're married!)

Depending on what you study in American, I'd throw in Yale, Penn, Stony Brook, and Connecticut.

What makes your application situation difficult is that your list is pretty polarized in terms of program rank. You have top-15 schools (Princeton, Columbia, NYU and Rochester) and schools that are around 50th or below (Brown, Rutgers, CUNY). Within your geographic range, Penn and Stony Brook are the only programs I can think of that are somewhere in between. Since the application process is such a crapshoot, your "true" level of placement may be at a school between 20th and 50th, but you would end up effectively shut out from the top programs and then "underplaced" at a lower-ranked school with your current list of schools.

Also, there are horror stories about the funding packages and amount of TA work put on students at CUNY. I looked into applying because of a couple of scholars there, but professors in my network warned me off the place.

Thanks for the info! I noticed this trait when I was applying, and didn't like the look of it. I applied to Stony Brook for their MA program, but I'm not anticipating an acceptance, as the program is geared toward political psychology...not a good fit, even by a remote chance. This application season is looking like a bust, so I'll take the information into consideration for round two :)

By the way-I'm currently a CUNY student. Lol, I've witnessed the horror stories in action. You're absolutely right-over worked and underpaid. Seems to be the CUNY motto...