Anyone just applying for Masters?

I am. Actually it looks like the two of us applied to a lot of the same programs.

Oh, very cool! Have you heard from anywhere yet? I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who just applied to masters programs!

I've only heard back from University of Pennsylvania, American and University of South Florida. One of those has offered me direct admission to their Ph.D. program, and another school I applied to and haven't heard back from told me they would rather I apply directly to their Ph.D. program. But I'll probably be doing a Master's program first, due to differences in school caliber.

I plan on continuing on and getting my Ph.D. after I complete my Masters.

From what I've seen/understood, most criminology programs won't admit you directly to a Ph.D. program without an M.A./M.S. I do like the potential for a break between a masters/doctoral program, though. I don't foresee myself wanting to take one, but it is less daunting than the prospect of immediately entering a Ph.D. program.

From what I've seen/understood, most criminology programs won't admit you directly to a Ph.D. program without an M.A./M.S. I do like the potential for a break between a masters/doctoral program, though. I don't foresee myself wanting to take one, but it is less daunting than the prospect of immediately entering a Ph.D. program.

Just FYI: I don't think that's the case, based my experience as a Ph.D applicant. I do not have a MA/MS and have been admitted to 2 Ph.D programs with funding so far (and I only applied to schools in U.S. News' top 7 schools for Criminology). One program only has a MA on the way to Ph.D--they have no standard "just MA" program. The other program does not require an MA on the way to the Ph.D at all, so it doesn't matter.

I am applying to several Masters programs, but as a back-up to PhD programs. I would like to continue to a PhD. My interests lie on the border between Psych and C/CJ, so I've applied to Masters programs in both fields, but PhDs in Psych only (I'm finishing up a BA in Psych currently).

I'm applying just for my MA/MS straight out of undergrad. So far, I've gotten into U Cinn and San Diego State (I go to school out here as well). I didn't get into the program at U of Maryland, I heard back February 1st. But I'm also applying to Michigan State, UC Irvine, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fresno, SUNY at Albany, U of Missouri at St. Louis, Florida State U, ASU and Georgia State U. Anyone else looking into those schools?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just graduating from Washington State University's (Pullman, Washington) M.A. Program in Criminal Justice. If anyone wants to know more about WSU, let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying just for my MA/MS straight out of undergrad. So far, I've gotten into U Cinn and San Diego State (I go to school out here as well). I didn't get into the program at U of Maryland, I heard back February 1st. But I'm also applying to Michigan State, UC Irvine, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fresno, SUNY at Albany, U of Missouri at St. Louis, Florida State U, ASU and Georgia State U. Anyone else looking into those schools?

Hey Gabbyl

I applied to Michigan State for my masters, not going for my Ph.D. I accepted and am excited, yet nervous. The senioritis is in full effect and I try not to question whether I have enough steam for two, hopefully two, more years. Otherwise i'm ready for a change, ready to focus more on just criminal justice, as opposed to philosophy and women's studies, which make up my final semester as an undergrad.

Hi Arthur1,

I got into Michigan State but I opted to go to University of Cinncinnati since they offered me a scholarship. MSU is supposed to be making aid decisions this week the director told me, but I have to accept U Cinn's offer by Friday, so I just mailed in my acceptance today. Best of luck at MSU, the program looks really great, I was really tempted to go there! And yeah, the senioritis is hitting me pretty badly as well, I can't wait for it to be September and focus on CJ too!

-Gabby

Hey Gabbyl

I applied to Michigan State for my masters, not going for my Ph.D. I accepted and am excited, yet nervous. The senioritis is in full effect and I try not to question whether I have enough steam for two, hopefully two, more years. Otherwise i'm ready for a change, ready to focus more on just criminal justice, as opposed to philosophy and women's studies, which make up my final semester as an undergrad.