What to wear for admitted student visits?

jecaloliv

Question

What do you think is appropriate attire for an admitted student day? I am visiting two Ivies, one for a formal admitted student day, one for a scheduled, individual visit (since they don't have a formal "admitted day"). I should also say that I have been admitted into two Humanities programs (since cultures often vary across disciplines, thus do expectations, I assume). I am a late 20s male.

Maybe folks could sound off what is appropriate attire for Men and Women (for the sake of everyone, and myself). And if there is a difference across disciplines, maybe note that too for others.

Thanks so much!

Why are you asking me to "Chill Out?" I'm simply responding to people who were kind enough to provide me with feedback....

Looks like the regulars on "gradcafe" don't like me...and that's cool....

I did not vote down your responses...but I am not surprised people have.

Why are you asking me to "Chill Out?" I'm simply responding to people who were kind enough to provide me with feedback....

Looks like the regulars on "gradcafe" don't like me...and that's cool....

I understand that PennState...but you are coming off kind of aggressive, and that might be rubbing people the wrong way. But I commend your enthusiasm for your schools.

Edited by ZeeMore21

...I'm not sure why people are getting "rubbed the wrong way..." All I did was state my opinion...LOL. I've changed my "display name" in their honor...LOL

Perhaps people think I'm a "troll," but I'm really not...LOL....

I understand that PennState...but you are coming off kind of aggressive, and that might be rubbing people the wrong way. But I commend your enthusiasm for your schools.

Wow...Everyone is really getting all bent out of shape because I want to look professional? This is really something....LOL....

Penn State- did you make sure that you jacket lapels are the same width as your tie? I wouldn't want a sartorial mistake like that to ruin the effect that your lapel pins might have.

Wow...Everyone is really getting all bent out of shape because I want to look professional? This is really something....LOL....

No, by all means, look professional. I'm going to dress fairly well to my visitation days too, but what you are doing is over the top. There is a difference between classy professional and gaudy professional. As someone who keeps saying he dresses professionally, you seem to be the latter.

There is nothing "gaudy" about wearing an institutional lapel pin....I swear, you'd think I said "I'm going to wear a gold herringbone necklace and 5 golden rings" from the way some of you are reacting....

I'm just worried about making a good first impression, is all. This is my "first rodeo," so forgive me for not being an "expert."

No, by all means, look professional. I'm going to dress fairly well to my visitation days too, but what you are doing is over the top. There is a difference between classy professional and gaudy professional. As someone who keeps saying he dresses professionally, you seem to be the latter.

Edited by HatedByTheRegulars

I obviously made that comment in jest, man. Take it easy. Seriously though - wear whatever makes you comfortable. This whole thread is kind of trivial in my opinion. You clearly want to make a good impression, but if whatever department won't accept you for who you are (and what you dress like) then you probably don't want to be stuck there in the long run anyway.

Oh, I see....So everyone thinks it's fun to gang up on the "over the top" guy......That's quite "grown up" of all of you.....

True. I can understand that...

I just don't understand why everyone (not you...but others in this topic) expects me to be an expert at this...This is my first go-round....LOL

I obviously made that comment in jest, man. Take it easy. Seriously though - wear whatever makes you comfortable. This whole thread is kind of trivial in my opinion. You clearly want to make a good impression, but if whatever department won't accept you for who you are (and what you dress like) then you probably don't want to be stuck there in the long run anyway.

Oh, I see....So everyone thinks it's fun to gang up on the "over the top" guy......That's quite "grown up" of all of you.....

Look, when people answer your questions - why are people voting me down? why is it over the top to wear lapel pins? etc. - and then you get all huffy when our answers aren't what you want to hear, that's called not being tied in to social cues.

Here is some friendly advice, though I doubt you will take it. When you enter a new environment, you should look around and try to figure out what most people are doing so you don't accidentally step on toes. Take the Grad Cafe: are other people using bold or colored words? No. The reasons are that 1) it is hard on the eyes, and 2) for a forum such as the internet where body language and tone are not conveyed, modifying the text indicates emotion, and your choices indicated aggression to us. This is generally understood for people on the internet, which is why you also read as a troll for apparently not knowing it. Now, I'm not calling you a troll, because I don't think you are (though you teeter on the edge of trolldom), but I'm pointing out that your negative reaction to us explaining the social cues of Grad Cafe is, in fact, troll behavior.

Another example: in the experience of many of us, to show school spirit in clothing like you indicated is too enthusiastic to be professional. In our sense of academic culture (in the US), professors would be made more uncomfortable by such behavior than they would be flattered. Clearly that is not your impression, but there's no need to get all outraged when we disagree.

Hello! Question unrelated to the current discussion (back to the main topic):

I've been accepted at UMass Amherst (in computer science, if that affects the clothing choice), and the candidate's day is coming up this Friday. I'm pretty sure this is my first choice school, so I'd like to make a good impression. I'm a female who doesn't really dress up very much, so I don't really have any casual skirts, and the only pairs of slacks I have are black (might be a good investment...). I was thinking of going with dark jeans, a nice sweater, and tennis shoes (don't have a massive shoe selection either...), and I was just wondering if people think that would be appropriate. I don't want to show up and be the only person in jeans!

If you call explaining my beliefs and stances "huffy," I think that's quite unfortunate.

Oh, and for the record: When I said people were "ganging up on me," it was in response to someone who said that I was using red font because I wanted to "match the school colors of Cornell" (or something along those lines)...Look at your statement, even: You say "when our answers," which to me signifies there is an "us against one" mentality going on here....

Look, when people answer your questions - why are people voting me down? why is it over the top to wear lapel pins? etc. - and then you get all huffy when our answers aren't what you want to hear, that's called not being tied in to social cues.

Here is some friendly advice, though I doubt you will take it. When you enter a new environment, you should look around and try to figure out what most people are doing so you don't accidentally step on toes. Take the Grad Cafe: are other people using bold or colored words? No. The reasons are that 1) it is hard on the eyes, and 2) for a forum such as the internet where body language and tone are not conveyed, modifying the text indicates emotion, and your choices indicated aggression to us. This is generally understood for people on the internet, which is why you also read as a troll for apparently not knowing it. Now, I'm not calling you a troll, because I don't think you are (though you teeter on the edge of trolldom), but I'm pointing out that your negative reaction to us explaining the social cues of Grad Cafe is, in fact, troll behavior.

Another example: in the experience of many of us, to show school spirit in clothing like you indicated is too enthusiastic to be professional. In our sense of academic culture (in the US), professors would be made more uncomfortable by such behavior than they would be flattered. Clearly that is not your impression, but there's no need to get all outraged when we disagree.

Edited by HatedByTheRegulars

I've been accepted at UMass Amherst (in computer science, if that affects the clothing choice), and the candidate's day is coming up this Friday. I'm pretty sure this is my first choice school, so I'd like to make a good impression. I'm a female who doesn't really dress up very much, so I don't really have any casual skirts, and the only pairs of slacks I have are black (might be a good investment...). I was thinking of going with dark jeans, a nice sweater, and tennis shoes (don't have a massive shoe selection either...), and I was just wondering if people think that would be appropriate. I don't want to show up and be the only person in jeans!

I would say that sounds okay, especially if you've been accepted, but perhaps investing in (and wearing) a simple pair of flats or low heels would class the outfit up just enough.

I don't want to show up and be the only person in jeans!

Congrats on your UMass aacceptance! I know that fear of being the only person in jeans, but being in Computer Science myself, my guess is that there'd be quite a few people in jeans. It would seem to me that slacks are the safest way to go, but perhaps you can ask someone at UMass? Maybe a grad student there or someone from the department?

Mr. Hated/Penn State,

Hi. Please don't take this advice the wrong way, this is intended to help you. In general, capslock and bold are both considered either "yelling" or "strong language tone" in a setting like this. In addition, red ink is feared by all students because traditionally, it is a color used by instructors for correcting their students. I might be wrong, but your use of red may seem presumptuous to some which could account for their dislike of it. The combination of those things also make you seem like you want to stand out, or that you are asking for attention, if you will. Third, when you take several posts and reply to them all back to back (as opposed to one reply) and do so without anyone else posting between it seems like trolling or spamming.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that you are doing these things, only that this is how it may seem to others looking at the thread. I think if you switch your font back to regular and you stop responding to so many posts so defensively (back to back) that you will have no trouble regaining your lost reputation points.

Cheers,

SD

P.S. Sorry to go off topic again.

Edited by SimilarlyDifferent

I have a lot of friends who went to UMass and it is pretty casual. They are being hit with a pretty heavy winter so if you have any boots, I would suggest bringing them. Your outfit sounds fine. (Is this an accepted students day or an interview? I am not familiar with the term "candidate's day.") But if you haven't been accepted yet, I would suggest wearing slacks opposed to jeans. Oh wait - scratch that, I just remembered this was an accepted students thread. Duh. You are fine, then! =D UMass is very pretty, hope you like it!

Edited by eat.climb.love