Penn State

emmajane

Hi all,

I'm starting a PhD in Political Science at Penn State in the Fall but can't attend the new students visiting weekend (I'm an international student) - anyone else going to Penn State and want to get in touch before we all make our way there in August?:)

Hello emmajane! I got accepted into the Crime, Law, and Justice graduate program, and I'm flying to the campus late next month with my wife. I still haven't heard back from a few of my other schools yet, but after everything I've learned about the program, Penn State is almost certainly where I'll be going. Hopefully I should have a lot of time to talk to with the current students, and there are several tours. Obviously I can't help you much with Poly Sci specifically, but if you have some more general questions about the campus and/or life in State College, I can try to add them to my list of stuff I'm going to ask and get back to you later.

Hello A_Murray and emmajane. I was accepted to the PhD program in Higher Education at Penn State (the best in the country, according to US News and World Report), and anticipate matriculating in Fall 2011...Congrats to you two an your acceptances!!! I haven't heard about funding as of yet. Provided that I get a decent funding package, I will definitely be attending Penn State. :-)

"WE ARE.............PENN STATE!!!!!"

Thanks guys. I'm visiting in a couple of weeks just to have a look round but if I forget to ask anything or think of anything after my trip I'll definitely take you up on that offer, A_Murphy.

Can't wait but a huge move for me - do you guys have any ideas about how to go about finding accommodation? That for me is the really daunting bit of the move!

I haven't really been able to find a whole lot. I did a dry google search, and found a couple of sources...but beyond that, nothing. I'm hoping to gain more insight when I visit next month...Here is a website I found by doing a dry google search: STATE COLLEGE APARTMENTS

Thanks guys. I'm visiting in a couple of weeks just to have a look round but if I forget to ask anything or think of anything after my trip I'll definitely take you up on that offer, A_Murphy.

Can't wait but a huge move for me - do you guys have any ideas about how to go about finding accommodation? That for me is the really daunting bit of the move!

Hey guys, I'm starting a masters program in Energy and Mineral Engineering in the Fall. I'm so excited because it's a big move for me and Penn State has always been my dream school though I have some concerns as an international student. I read somewhere that Penn State is the number one location for recruiters so hopefully getting an internship or job shouldn't be a big deal. I'm putting in a lot financially to make it in August and I hope it pays off.

About accommodation, it depends on individual preferences. I surveyed the campus map online and searched for apartments that were between 1-2 miles from my department. Once you get the names of a couple of avenues that fit that criteria, then you can search for apartments located in such vicinity. My search paid off and I'll be sharing a 3-bedroom apartment with two other grad students if all goes well. Still keeping my options open though.

Hey all, I just got into the Masters Art History program at Penn State and thought I would drop by and say hi. I'm probably definitely going to be attending PSU this fall, as it was my first choice when I applied.

Yeah, 'probably definitely' seemed like the only way to describe it...I think it's just because I've made a decision but I can't quite believe I did. Penn State is definitely where I want to be, though.

Where are you planning on living? I've been thinking of doing the on-campus graduate housing, since I figure it would be easier than trying to find an apartment in town.

Where are you planning on living? I've been thinking of doing the on-campus graduate housing, since I figure it would be easier than trying to find an apartment in town.

Great question! I struggled with it for a while. Eventually I decided to live in the on-campus graduate housing for at least the first year. I figure I will have plenty of time to find a place off-campus during that time if I don't want to stay there, but right now I wouldn't be able to visit the area to find a suitable place off-campus. If I have to move into an apartment sight-unseen, at least the on-campus housing shouldn't be a dump. It turns out that the graduate housing I was assigned is less than 3/4 mile from the building with all of the classes and offices for my program, so bonus.

Hey everybody! I'm a sociology student, and I'm almost absolutely certain that I'll be a Nittany Lion come fall. I'm also stuck looking for housing, and family housing in particular appears sparse and very expensive. Either way, through the whole application process, Penn State was by far my number one pick and the best academic fit, and things have only looked more promising as time has progressed. A_Murphy, I assume they are probably grouping the sociology and crime students together in their visit (although I could be wrong). If so, I'll see you in just under two weeks!

Hello everyone!

I am going to accept the offer I got for the PhD in Plant Pathology program this fall and my main concern is finding housing. I don't mind how far away the place is from campus so long as they accept felines. I'll also be bringing my turtle but I don't think they'll mind her too much =) In short my list is:

1 bed room apartment

Accepts cats

Not insanely priced (might be a long shot I think)

Distance not a problem

If anyone can help me out that would be great!

Thanks!

Caroline

Hello everyone!

I am going to accept the offer I got for the PhD in Plant Pathology program this fall and my main concern is finding housing. I don't mind how far away the place is from campus so long as they accept felines. I'll also be bringing my turtle but I don't think they'll mind her too much =) In short my list is:

1 bed room apartment

Accepts cats

Not insanely priced (might be a long shot I think)

Distance not a problem

If anyone can help me out that would be great!

Thanks!

Caroline

Greetings, Caroline! My husband recently declined Penn State's offer, but we were looking into securing housing that fits your description. Dave (dkline60@comcast.net) is a very friendly landlord and might be a great bet for you. Some of his properties can be seen here.

This website was a great tool for me while I was searching for housing.

Best of luck!

Hi all,

I'm starting my PhD for Industrial/Organizational Psychology this upcoming Fall. I'm definitely going, as I've already sent in all the paperwork. I was down in State College about 2 weeks ago looking at apartments and many of them are filling up fast by students already there. Check out apartmentratings.com to get candid views on what its like to live in any given apartment in the area.

Good luck to everybody and hope to meet many of you soon.

aldallia - I'm an entering graduate student as well (with TWO cats!) and lion's gate and briarwood on waupelani both allow pets/cats (for a fee). if you google "the apartment store state college," they also allow only one cat in at least one of their buildings on waupelani (might've been nittany view?).

• 4 weeks later...

Starting a mechanical engineering Ph.D. here. Housing looks pretty scarce at this point. Anyone interested in splitting an apartment? I'd like to get my own room but wouldn't mind sharing a kitchen/living room.

• 1 month later...

aldallia - I'm an entering graduate student as well (with TWO cats!) and lion's gate and briarwood on waupelani both allow pets/cats (for a fee). if you google "the apartment store state college," they also allow only one cat in at least one of their buildings on waupelani (might've been nittany view?).

I live in Lion's Gate. They seem pet-friendly (if you pay the fee, of course).

Edited by BCEmory08