U-M School of Natural Resources - Admitted Students

livingthedream

This forum is for students admitted to the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment for Fall 2011. No need to share stats, but mine are below:

Graduate Program: M.S. Environmental Policy and Planning

Undergraduate Institution: University of Michigan

Undergraduate Major(s): Philosophy; Political Science

Undergraduate GPA: 3.66

GRE Combined Score: 1150

GRE Writing Score: 4.5

Years out of Undergrad: 2 years

Work Experience: (1) Law firm for one year. (2) Two years teaching philosophy overseas with the University of Notre Dame.

LOR: All three recommendations came from philosophy and political science professors at the University of Michigan.

This forum is for students admitted to the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment for Fall 2011. No need to share stats, but mine are below:

Graduate Program: M.S. Environmental Policy and Planning

Undergraduate Institution: University of Michigan

Undergraduate Major(s): Philosophy; Political Science

Undergraduate GPA: 3.66

GRE Combined Score: 1150

GRE Writing Score: 4.5

Years out of Undergrad: 2 years

Work Experience: (1) Law firm for one year. (2) Two years teaching philosophy overseas with the University of Notre Dame.

LOR: All three recommendations came from philosophy and political science professors at the University of Michigan.

Hi livingthedream! It is so great that you are doing this. I also got into the SNRE Fall 2011. Have you heard anything from them about the funding info? Any idea that when it will be coming?

I take it as a ritual to share my stats and background info.

Undergraduate Education: Sichuan University (China) and University of Washington (junior-year exchange); majors in biological science and have taken many environmental classes at UW whose PoE programme is way awesome.

Undergraduate GPA: 90 out of 100 in China and 3.83 at UW.

GRE Scores: 630 800 5.0

Not much professional experiences (I am still a senior in college) but I have joined in many research projects led by faculty members in both China and United States (about environmental assessment, species population, climate change and conservation decision making tool, etc.).

LOR: one from my undergrad supervisor in China and two from UW professors.

Admitted (up to date):

Environmental Change and Management MSc, University of Oxford;

Forest Resources PhD, University of Washington;

SNRE Master, University of Michigan.

Edited by Fred Lau

Congrats on your acceptances! I got in to SNRE last year, though I didn't end up going. You may want to get in touch with the grad secretary to confirm that funding info is on the way - last year they included funding information with acceptance notices, and if you did not have anything detailed in your packet or online, you could safely assume you were not going to get funding. They may be doing things differently this year, though, so I would definitely ask!

Congrats again!

Congrats on your acceptances! I got in to SNRE last year, though I didn't end up going. You may want to get in touch with the grad secretary to confirm that funding info is on the way - last year they included funding information with acceptance notices, and if you did not have anything detailed in your packet or online, you could safely assume you were not going to get funding. They may be doing things differently this year, though, so I would definitely ask!

Congrats again!

Thanks for the info but they admit. email/letter said funding would be coming separately (I think mid-March?). Where did you end up going?

Fred,

I haven't heard anything yet about funding. I have a feeling that Rackham and/or the Office of Financial aid will follow up with the admitted students.

Thanks livingthedream! fingers crossed for us and all other peers.

Congrats again!

Thanks mooseundsquirrel for sharing! I will definitely take your advice and ask. Do you mind sharing as well why you did not choose SNRE in the end?

Thanks mooseundsquirrel for sharing! I will definitely take your advice and ask. Do you mind sharing as well why you did not choose SNRE in the end?

No reason that had anything to do with the school - it seems like a wonderful program. I simply didn't get enough funding in the end to convince myself attending would be a smart move. It worked out for the best, though - I'm taking a slightly different route this year in applying to more hard science programs, and I'm really glad I did!

No reason that had anything to do with the school - it seems like a wonderful program. I simply didn't get enough funding in the end to convince myself attending would be a smart move. It worked out for the best, though - I'm taking a slightly different route this year in applying to more hard science programs, and I'm really glad I did!

Thanks for sharing mooseundsquirrel! good luck with the programme you have chosen!

Hi!

I just got into SNRE, still haven't received the official admit letter by post.

Graduate Program: MS in Natural resources and the Environment

Field of study: Sustainable Systems

Stats:

Undergrad Institution: Anna University Chennai (India)

Undergrad Major: Electrical and Electronics Engineering

Undergrad GPA: 83 out of 100 (so far!) I'm in the final semester of my engineering program

I have no work experience, but I've been volunteering for an environmental NGO in my city from 2005.

GRE Scores: 700 (Verbal), 780(Quants), 4.5 (AWA)

Joined The GradCafe just for this thread!!

LOR: One from the head of my NGO and two from my college professors.

Graduate Program: M.S. Natural Resources and Environment

Undergraduate Institution: .... is Indian.

Undergraduate Major(s): .... can only be described as various animal sciences.

Undergraduate GPA: 7.67/10

GRE Q680, V740, AW 4.0

Years out of Undergrad: None. Graduating in July 2011.

Work Experience: 3 irrelevant years in Journalism (part-time)

LORs: 2 research advisors who wrote very tailored and detailed letters., 1 generic letter from the Dean of academics. I avoided Did-well-in-class letters.

2 small pubs, 2 big conference posters. Lots of whimsical independent research that I somehow managed to get published. My undergraduate degree is also very whimsical. Whimsy seems to have worked for me.

Is else here deciding between UMich SNRE and IU SPEA?

I have asked Adam and he says the funding info, if you are offered any, has already been included in your offer letter, which has been sent out. I did not get any though.

Fred,

I haven't heard anything yet about funding. I have a feeling that Rackham and/or the Office of Financial aid will follow up with the admitted students.

I got my response for financial aid today via email. The official form is through the U-M New Friend website.

I also received my financial aid info from Rackham via Wolverine Access today. It's not enough to cover living expenses, so I might have to start looking at other schools. I e-mailed SNRE about scholarships and they have not yet responded. I have a feeling that I would have known already if they had given me any financial support.

We'll see what Indiana and Yale say.

2shieh, would you consider UPenn's MES over Indiana or UMich?

I don't know... hahaha. UPenn obviously has prestige, but I feel that going to either Indiana or UMich will allow me to have more faculty support in studying my concentration (life cycle analysis). The reason why I applied to UPenn's MES is because they have an international multi-master's program:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/graduate/mes

Also, I'm not sure what the student demographic is for the UPenn program. The reason why I'm so drawn to UMich's program is because they seem to really create a supportive environment (apparently they do some sort of a camping bonding trip the first few days of orientation) for students. Also, Indiana's faculty and student advisers all seem very accessible in helping you in your career and your classes. They're also the only school that sent cards during the holidays and kept in touch with me before and after my visit to their campus.

I'm planning on visiting Penn and will schedule an appointment with the program director at the last week of March. Hopefully this will answer some more of my questions. I just hope I dont get suckered in by how pretty the campus is :P

Hey

Greetings.

Quick Stats:

International Student

Field of study: SNRE Sustainable Systems Fall 2011 (Admit via Email on mid Feb. No info on Financial Aid)

Undergrad Major: Mechanical Engineering

Undergrad GPA: 3.8/4.0

Research papers on Bio-diesel and alternate fuel combustion modeling.

Couple of decent internships (Totaling 8 months)

Volunteering for a rain water harvesting project since May 2010.

Does SNRE give any sort aid for incoming intl. students?

Anyways happy to hear from fellow SNRE'ds

Cheers and hopefully see ya all at Ann Arbor.

Does SNRE give any sort aid for incoming intl. students?

Anyways happy to hear from fellow SNRE'ds

Cheers and hopefully see ya all at Ann Arbor.

Red,

Did you make a friend account with Rackham? If so, you should be able to view your financial award, if any, on Wolverine Access. If you did not receive any financial information in your 'snail mail' acceptance letter, it is very likely you did not receive a scholarship from SNRE. You can probably get a scholarship your second year through the Rackham International Student Fellowship.

Any way, hope this helps.

You can probably get a scholarship your second year through the Rackham International Student Fellowship.

Any way, hope this helps.

Hey living the dream,

Thank you very much for the info on Rackham Intl. Student Fellowship.

Yea, No FAid info on Wolverine access too, and I have not received a paper copy of the admit letter, apart from

emails from both SNRE & Rackham.

What attracts me to SNRE is the closely knit community, feels likes a big family at the Dana building.

Cheers

Red

I was also admitted into SNRE Sustainable Systems.

International Student

Undergrad majors: Aerospace Engineering, German

Undergrad GPA: ?? (I graduated with second class honours A)

GRE (V/Q/W): 550 / 790 / 4.5

Years out of undergrad: one and a bit

Work experience: aerospace engineering internship, undergrad research assistantship (1 conference paper), no work experience in environmental field (actually very little experience in environmental/sustainability field in any form, so I was surprised I was admitted!)

LOR: research/thesis advisor (engineering), German professor, internship supervisor (all know me well)

I actually applied to do a dual degree with mechanical engineering (Engineering Sustainable Systems), but have yet to hear back from the mech department. So I'm not sure if I will end up at Michigan. I'm also unsure if I could survive living in a small-ish town with freeeeezing winters - anyone care to convince me otherwise?!!

I mainly applied to other sustainable engineering programs:

Imperial College London - MS in Sustainable Energy Futures - conditional offer (1/26)

UBC - MEng in Clean Energy - waiting

USC - MS in Green Technologies - waiting

UW - MS in Mechanical Engineering (Energy and Environment concentration) - waiting

Queen Mary, University of London - MS in Sustainable Energy Systems - waiting

The waiting is driving me crazy! And I don't think I'll hear back from any schools for another couple of weeks either. blah.

Anyway, good to meet other SNREers.

Admitted to M.S. in Behavior Education and Communication.

I have not received my formal acceptance letter and there is no funding information on the web.

should I be still hopeful to see a partial funding in wolverine access?

(although I have a Fulbright award, I still need funding and/or assistantship position to "cope" with expenses.

International student with Fulbright Award

Undergrad: Interior Architecture and Environmental Design

GPA: 3.66 (rankind 2 among 105 graduates)

Toefl: 101

GRE: V 390, Q 720, AW 3.5

one year assistantship experience

one reference from the instructor of my teaching assistanship class

one from a high citation index environmental psychology proffesor

one from a sincere instructor who know me well