U-M School of Natural Resources - Admitted Students

livingthedream

Admitted to M.S. in Behavior Education and Communication.

I have not received my formal acceptance letter and there is no funding information on the web.

should I be still hopeful to see a partial funding in wolverine access?

Your formal acceptance letter should contain scholarship information, if any. And SNRE Master's students are generally not awarded assistanships. One must apply for them (this years deadline is up).

Hey all!

The MS program at SNRE requires students to get 42 credits of which only 25 have to be taken from the School itself right? Does that mean students are free to take courses from other Schools (Engineering, Business for example) to satisfy their credit requirements? Is it then possible for SNRE students to try and get a minor degree in some other field as well?

Any idea about this?

Thanks!

Hey all!

The MS program at SNRE requires students to get 42 credits of which only 25 have to be taken from the School itself right? Does that mean students are free to take courses from other Schools (Engineering, Business for example) to satisfy their credit requirements? Is it then possible for SNRE students to try and get a minor degree in some other field as well?

Any idea about this?

Thanks!

Hi Double T, It seems SNRE encourages students to get a dual degree through SNRE and other department, but one have to apply it separately~

Thanks swend!

Yeah I know that they have separate double degree options. I was wondering if there is a provision for students to get a minor degree in some other field? Courses from other departments can be taken as cognates right? Does anyone know how that works?

My admission paper has just come. no funding :(

I am applying for another scholarship. in case I get it, I still need $10000 a year. Do you have any idea about how to cover this as an international student??

• 2 weeks later...

My admission paper has just come. no funding :(

I am applying for another scholarship. in case I get it, I still need $10000 a year. Do you have any idea about how to cover this as an international student??

Hi, esraetna, I'm also a int students who have no FA, really like the program in SNRE, but it seems a lot of money and hard to finance your self in the first year in U mich.:(

Looks like I won't be attending UMich after all. Applied for a dual degree and only got accepted into SNRE not mech eng, and I don't want to risk not being able to pick up the other degree further down the track. Also don't think my bank account could handle Mich with no funding :(

Off to Cali or Vancouver for me! Good luck everyone!

Looks like I won't be attending UMich after all. Applied for a dual degree and only got accepted into SNRE not mech eng, and I don't want to risk not being able to pick up the other degree further down the track. Also don't think my bank account could handle Mich with no funding :(

Off to Cali or Vancouver for me! Good luck everyone!

Dineymack, one of my friends who went to SNRE visiting day said SNRE students could apply for a dual degree in their second year in SNRE, and the dual degree application is much easier than the nomal application, also, I am worring about the cost of SNRE, it seems sooooooooo expensive for int students!!!

Have all of you formally accepted your admits from UMich and other universities?

Hi Double T, have u made your decision? I am currently choosing between UW MPA, U penn envi study, SNRE and UCSB bren, all no funding, pretty upset about this, tough decision though, anybody here made a decision already?

Hi Double T, have u made your decision? I am currently choosing between UW MPA, U penn envi study, SNRE and UCSB bren, all no funding, pretty upset about this, tough decision though, anybody here made a decision already?

Hi swend!

I have to choose between Duke's Nicholas School (MEM EE track) and UMich SNRE (SS track). I would prefer to go to Duke because the EE track is really good, and also because it's significantly cheaper than UMich. But I've run into some trouble with prereqs at Duke, so I'm not sure how things will pan out. UMich is also a great choice, just that it's a tad expensive. It's incredibly hard to choose between the two, just trying to find out as much as I can about the two schools.

I would say you have a lot of good choices, it depends on what you want to do next- a job or a PhD?

Hi swend!

I have to choose between Duke's Nicholas School (MEM EE track) and UMich SNRE (SS track). I would prefer to go to Duke because the EE track is really good, and also because it's significantly cheaper than UMich. But I've run into some trouble with prereqs at Duke, so I'm not sure how things will pan out. UMich is also a great choice, just that it's a tad expensive. It's incredibly hard to choose between the two, just trying to find out as much as I can about the two schools.

I would say you have a lot of good choices, it depends on what you want to do next- a job or a PhD?

Hi, Double T, I am not sure if I would pursue a Phd degree in the future, but I am pretty sure that I would prefer a job after my graduation as a master. As a int student, I know it is not easy to find a job. Hope things would turn better in two years. So the potential intern opportunities is a very important factor. My four admission programs all shows that they have great career services, but I am not sure how good it for int students. Still under tough decision process:(.

Hope you would end up going to Nicholas, as you said, they are great in EE track. Also, do you get admission from UCSB? what do you think about the program in Bren school? The graduation students there seem all get good placements.

Hi, Double T, I am not sure if I would pursue a Phd degree in the future, but I am pretty sure that I would prefer a job after my graduation as a master. As a int student, I know it is not easy to find a job. Hope things would turn better in two years. So the potential intern opportunities is a very important factor. My four admission programs all shows that they have great career services, but I am not sure how good it for int students. Still under tough decision process:(.

Hope you would end up going to Nicholas, as you said, they are great in EE track. Also, do you get admission from UCSB? what do you think about the program in Bren school? The graduation students there seem all get good placements.

swend, I think your best course of action would be to try and contact current students and alumni of the programs you have been admitted to. I haven't been admitted into UCSB, although it is also supposed to be very good. The Bren School is relatively 'young', but it's supposed to be the most beautiful campus in the United States!

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys!

I am also accepted and did not receive FA, I am an out of state student and my tuition i believe is 38k a year. Does anyone know anything about becoming a GSI? How competitive it is? If we can apply for it and become a GSI in our first year?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I also am an out of state student and wondering about becoming a GSI-- i received $10,000 for the first year but tuition is still so expensive! Anyone know how easy it is to secure funding...esp for the second year? I'm also deciding between Duke, UCSB, and Mich---received scholarships from Duke and Mich, but not UCSB. Anyone else deciding between these three or know which is the best?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm attending Mich with a smaller scholarship than that ($5K). My understanding is that the GSIs are pretty competitive, so I wouldn't necessarily count on that money going in. But if you develop a good relationship with the professors that you would like to work with and excel in their classes, then you can improve your odds of getting a GSI spot. There are some merit scholarships available once you're attending as well, although my understanding is that they are very specific, ie you can only receive a certain scholarship if you are a dual degree ESS student pursuing vehicle emissions research. Not sure if they are all that specific, but you get the idea. I'm in DC as well, so if you're going to Mich and want to grab a beer and chat before the fall please feel free to send me a message.

Hey everyone!

I also am an out of state student and wondering about becoming a GSI-- i received $10,000 for the first year but tuition is still so expensive! Anyone know how easy it is to secure funding...esp for the second year? I'm also deciding between Duke, UCSB, and Mich---received scholarships from Duke and Mich, but not UCSB. Anyone else deciding between these three or know which is the best?

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

By the way -- if anyone has questions about Ann Arbor or U-M, feel free to ask me. I received my Bachelor's degree from there.

Hi, thank you for your post. I am wondering what percentage of SNRE's admitted student pool are international students?