SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I too am a SIPA applicant, MPA - Development Practice. Honestly though, I have not been too nervous about hearing from them, mostly because I check their blog regularly and they do a good job of keeping applicants updated on the whole process. It sounds like we won't start hearing anything til mid-March, so maybe we can hope to know in the next few weeks!

Check it out if you haven't already, http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/sipa/

Good luck!

I went there for undergrad, and with my former department (econ) housed in the International Affairs Building (IAB) and having taken a few SIPA classes my senior year, I'm very familiar with SIPA both in terms of curriculum and general vibe (though I'm not pretending to be the most knowledgeable person on gradcafe; I think there's a current MDP student that lurks these forums as well and I'm sure there are more). Either way, let me know if any of you have questions, and I'd be glad to answer.

ETA: In response to your question, SubjectNotebook, as you can tell by some of the posts in the admissions blog that cplanicka posted, they take a few weeks to print/process/distribute the applications every year, so it has absolutely no effect. For instance, I got the application in SECONDS before the deadline (I think the time-stamp read that I got it in 8 seconds before the deadline) and got in, if that makes you comfortable. :lol:

Edited by greendiplomat

There is a very good chance that we will hear back from SIPA by the end of this week, most probably on thursday or friday. The first vawe of decisions may include about 40 % of the application pool. And no, provided that it has been submitted before Jan. 5, all applications are reviewed concurrently.

@cplanika: I check their blog too, but thanks. I agree that they've done an awesome job of keeping applicants informed of what's going on. Thanks for letting me know about the review process (also @greendiplomat)

@apsuwa: good to know decisions start this week - I remember reading somewhere that SIPA sends out news starting early March - and I hope it is soon!

Have y'all thought about financial aid?

@cplanika: I check their blog too, but thanks. I agree that they've done an awesome job of keeping applicants informed of what's going on. Thanks for letting me know about the review process (also @greendiplomat)

@apsuwa: good to know decisions start this week - I remember reading somewhere that SIPA sends out news starting early March - and I hope it is soon!

Have y'all thought about financial aid?

From reading last year's posted results, it seems like SIPA either offers large amounts of funding ($20-30k/yr) or none at all. Do any of you have more reliable sources?!

From reading last year's posted results, it seems like SIPA either offers large amounts of funding ($20-30k/yr) or none at all. Do any of you have more reliable sources?!

This page gives a good overview of what one can expect. I understand that this is their attempt to make financial aid available to the deserving students based on their performance in their first year, but I think it's a poor admissions strategy in that admits don't like the uncertainty of not knowing how much in fellowship aid they can expect in their second year and often end up going to other schools for that reason.

This page gives a good overview of what one can expect. I understand that this is their attempt to make financial aid available to the deserving students based on their performance in their first year, but I think it's a poor admissions strategy in that admits don't like the uncertainty of not knowing how much in fellowship aid they can expect in their second year and often end up going to other schools for that reason.

so helpful, thank you!

That's what these forums are here for, right?

I just noticed your signature / admissions results, btw. Congrats!

Do you know what you want to get into academicall/professionally?

long term, ed reform! what about you?

Okay, SIPA made a trip to India and one of the e-mails said that notifications would be out between 1st and 15th March. Just re-read those e-mails and noticed that now! That's this week and next :-)

Hey MssyAK, I am keen to do ed reform in the long term too...I'd love to connect sometime to hear your thoughts and ideas!

All -

I just noted on the results page of the grad cafe that someone was rejected from SIPA (MIA) on 2/27.

Yet, when you read the most recent SIPA admissions blog from 2/28 (entitled "Admission Decisions Category #2: admitted), Matt Clemons notes that no admissions decisions have gone out yet.

Anyone care to shed some light on the discrepancy?

Hi Magellan, would you know who has been rejected - I tried searching for the thread, but couldn't find it.

I'd take the SIPA blog's word over anyone else - they've shared information accurately always. Also, the website says that decisions would be out early March - so I'm guessing in the next couple of weeks.

All -

I just noted on the results page of the grad cafe that someone was rejected from SIPA (MIA) on 2/27.

Yet, when you read the most recent SIPA admissions blog from 2/28 (entitled "Admission Decisions Category #2: admitted), Matt Clemons notes that no admissions decisions have gone out yet.

Anyone care to shed some light on the discrepancy?

Hmm - To answer your question, I'm not certain how to see a user name associated with the "results search page" - but this was the user entry I was referencing:

Columbia (SIPA)MIA, Masters (F11)Rejected via E-mail on 27 Feb 2011I27 Feb 2011

• Form email. I thought they weren't making decisions until March? :(

Thanks for your comment!

Weird weird weird. Makes no sense! Probably some other program - Ph. D. maybe?

Whether or not this is true, you and I are going to have to wait into March! :-)

Hmm - To answer your question, I'm not certain how to see a user name associated with the "results search page" - but this was the user entry I was referencing:

Columbia (SIPA)MIA, Masters (F11)Rejected via E-mail on 27 Feb 2011I27 Feb 2011

• Form email. I thought they weren't making decisions until March? :(

Thanks for your comment!

Just received an e-mail from the Admissions office saying notifications would be in 'early March'. The e-mail itself says that there cannot be more clarity on early, but that work is in full swing. :-)

@magellan: Interestingly,the e-mail re-iterates that no decisions have gone out yet.

Weird weird weird. Makes no sense! Probably some other program - Ph. D. maybe?

Whether or not this is true, you and I are going to have to wait into March! :-)

Yes and I saw it at like 5 am local time. Aargh!

haha! i did the exact same thing, except i was in the middle of a meeting (4:30PM PST) and audibly inhaled, though i will admit that it may have been a gasp :)

agreed. sounds like a bureaucratic decision and they're stuck in their ways. a little lame for such a dynamic institution --

Any news anyone!?!? :)

I'M IN!

... though I've known that for a year now (just messing with you guys :P). Looking forward to figuring out who my future classmates will be.

In other news, this recent blog post on federal loans will be super useful for any domestic student that thinks they'll end up attending SIPA. Applying for loans was by far the most confusing part of the process for me, and I think this provides the basic information + links. Might be worth bookmarking it or something.

Edited by greendiplomat