SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I was admitted off of the waitlist early last evening. I will be accepting and am thrilled to start this fall! I know I missed the group high-five sesion when everyone was admitted in March but hope to meet and see you all in a few months!

Congrats ! Hope to c u on the fb group !

Thanks! How many of you are already in NY? I'm planning to move there for the summer. Still in California right now though.

I thinks there are several students are in NY now. You can contact them both through the MPA-DP and SIPA 2014 Facebook Groups.

Even I'll be in NY in the Fall. :)

I thinks there are several students are in NY now. You can contact them both through the MPA-DP and SIPA 2014 Facebook Groups.

Even I'll be in NY in the Fall. :)

Thanks! I think I am now a member of both.

By the way, has anybody heard back from graduate student housing yet?

Thanks! I think I am now a member of both.

By the way, has anybody heard back from graduate student housing yet?

Not yet. I emailed the other day to confirm that my application was under review and they said it was, despite the fact that the housing portal tracker thing says it was simply received. I really hope to hear something sooner rather than later just to ease my mind, but they said June-ish, so we'll see.

Not yet. I emailed the other day to confirm that my application was under review and they said it was, despite the fact that the housing portal tracker thing says it was simply received. I really hope to hear something sooner rather than later just to ease my mind, but they said June-ish, so we'll see.

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I hear you. The three move in date ranges were from May 28th - June 10 or so. I contacted them too and they gave me a similar answer. It is little bit problematic because I had been hoping to leave California on May 20th and drive to NYC. Fingers crossed:)

Someone already posted in the facebook group that was both confirmed for housing AND received an assignment already. I really wish the process was a little more transparent so that I would have a better idea if my application is still in the running, or if I need to do anything else. Maybe they make assignments based on family status or something.

Anyone have any information about SAIS South Asia vs SIPA South Asia? The course offerings for SAIS seem much more meager, whereas SIPA seems to have many more course offerings, as well as having big names such as Bhagwati and Panagariya. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Argh, still waiting on Columbia student housing. I know the deadline for notification is June 27th but as someone said earlier, it would be nice if they let you know a little bit more in advance.

Currently I am twiddling my thumbs in a sublet in north Manhattan;)

Someone already posted in the facebook group that was both confirmed for housing AND received an assignment already. I really wish the process was a little more transparent so that I would have a better idea if my application is still in the running, or if I need to do anything else. Maybe they make assignments based on family status or something.

Hey DaveE,

As to housing, I was able to get the SIPA housing person on the phone. She said that mostly the priority goes to international students primarily because they can have difficulty getting a cosigner for a normal apartment/house.

Following that, priority goes to returning students.

Hey DaveE,

As to housing, I was able to get the SIPA housing person on the phone. She said that mostly the priority goes to international students primarily because they can have difficulty getting a cosigner for a normal apartment/house.

Following that, priority goes to returning students.

I wonder if they consider me as international or not. I'm American, though living in Germany. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

I wonder if they consider me as international or not. I'm American, though living in Germany. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

I had originally thought that priority as given to physical distance, including across the country such as on the West Coast. According to the liason, it had more to do with whether someone was a U.S. citizen. She was saying that because citizens, regardless of distance, find it easier to get a cosigner or what have you for a normal apartment, Columbia gives priority to non-citizens for student housing.

I too am crossing my fingers being that I am not in the citizen category.

I might call them today and see what they have to say. I know there is plenty of time left to figure it out, but it's just one of those boxes I'd love to have checked before I ever get there.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that can be helpful although at times even though I got people on the phone or email, their answers were elusive at best.

I found it to be true that I wasn't able to make much headway until I just showed up in New York.

As it stands for housing: waitlisted for general Columbia housing BUT I got into the International House!

Is anyone else contemplating living in the I-House or has been accepted?

I might call them today and see what they have to say. I know there is plenty of time left to figure it out, but it's just one of those boxes I'd love to have checked before I ever get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats! One of my former co-workers actually got into the I-House when he started at SIPA; he was super excited at the chance to hopefully eat homecooked international cuisine :)

Hello! That's great. Did your friend take the offer and live there? If so, did they give a good review of the experience? I'm set to move in there on the 27th if I take it.