Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

@Gl1

Two friends of mine had applied to McGill EE.

Both got into MEng Thesis with funding this week.

Both are in Communications and Signal Processing.

I'm in the same area. Do you know if they are going to accept the offer or not?! I'm not sure if any spot is left.

Edited by GI1

Unfortunately, I'll have to use this again: sad.gif

Got rejected from U of T yesterday. I sent them an email to get an update on my application status. Got a very nice reply a couple of hours later:

"Unfortunately, we were not able to admit you to the PhD program. Although your application was very strong, we were only able to admit a very small number of international applicants this year.

Sorry to disappoint, and best of luck with your future studies."

Now it's all up to York U.

Starting to devise plan B...

Hmmm did not see this thread earlier.

Was accepted to Ryerson and SFU in February, but still waiting on Dalhousie to make my final decision on which school I want to go to.

I'm leaning heavily on Ryerson at the moment because they have the exact program I want, however if Dalhousie provides a lot of funding I would give it some consideration.

Argh. I just got an email from U of Ottawa, who recently lost my transcripts. They confirmed they got it, but won't be notifying applicants with a decision until mid to late APRIL.

By then my hair will be white from worry.

Argh. I just got an email from U of Ottawa, who recently lost my transcripts. They confirmed they got it, but won't be notifying applicants with a decision until mid to late APRIL.

That's so weird! Ottawa was the first Canadian school that got back to me this year -- in mid February. Coincidentally, they also lost my transcripts last year when I applied there for my MA (but then ended up staying in my home city for one more year). I had to email them in March to ask my status. That was when they realized they had misplaced my transcripts and so just hadn't processed my application at all. They immediately processed it without having paper transcripts (I think I emailed them copies) and accepted me. But I suspect that if I hadn't emailed them, I would never have heard from them at all... <_<

I don't know whether there is any way to call them on this, Everygirl, but I wish you could...

Hello all,

Anyone here apply to the Tri-University History program at Waterloo, Laurier and Guelph? According to the Waterloo website "No decision has yet been made by the department." It just seems strange since they have had all my paperwork since early January. Good luck to everyone!

That's so weird! Ottawa was the first Canadian school that got back to me this year -- in mid February. Coincidentally, they also lost my transcripts last year when I applied there for my MA (but then ended up staying in my home city for one more year). I had to email them in March to ask my status. That was when they realized they had misplaced my transcripts and so just hadn't processed my application at all. They immediately processed it without having paper transcripts (I think I emailed them copies) and accepted me. But I suspect that if I hadn't emailed them, I would never have heard from them at all... <_<

I don't know whether there is any way to call them on this, Everygirl, but I wish you could...

Oh, I don't know whether the late notification is because of the lost transcripts -- the email read that they would notify applicants in April. When I first read it, I thought the late date must have meant I was on a wait list or something, but it says "applicants will be notified with a decision in mid to late April" which to me just says they're being absurdly late. Or should I be freaking out?

I'm soooo glad I found this forum! I've been going nuts not having heard anything from the programs I've applied to.

I can't believe how long it's taking Canadian schools to get back to people... My bestfriend applied to 3 American schools and heard back in late February!

Anyone hear anything from UW? I applied to two AHS MSc programs and my status has been "No decision has yet been made by the dept" for over a month :blink:

I really hope it's not mid to late April... I think my hair is going to turn white from all the stress I'm under :unsure:

Unfortunately, I'll have to use this again: sad.gif

Got rejected from U of T yesterday. I sent them an email to get an update on my application status. Got a very nice reply a couple of hours later:

"Unfortunately, we were not able to admit you to the PhD program. Although your application was very strong, we were only able to admit a very small number of international applicants this year.

Sorry to disappoint, and best of luck with your future studies."

Now it's all up to York U.

Starting to devise plan B...

Good luck.

As a fellow non-Canadian, I write this in hopes it helpful to you:

2 years go, I applied to York for an MA, and was accepted. But there was no foreign tuition waiver (at least at the MA level), so that made their package less competitive. The director did speak with me directly, though, and while noting with the funding deficiency I probably would not accept, he encouraged me to reapply for my PhD, and assured me funding was much better for hD studiesl. This was no earlier than late March, but possibly in April.

I applied to Calgary. From the search results i'm not sure they have started sending out admissions. the deadline was march 1. do u think i should be freaking out by April if i don't still hear from them? also do u think the fact that i'll be graduating from my undergrad program in May will affect my application?

I'm sorry to hear your news, Foreign Guy. I hope the decision from York is favourable.

I'm still waiting for news from Carleton and I'm kind of surprised that I haven't had any yet. I was told to expect my admission package last week, so figured I'd at least get an email before then.. Nada.

Me too!

My program adviser at York told me they would have all decisions by March 31st.

I know it's different for each program, but I'll try to be patient and not contact them until March 31st (especially if the results board shows nothing interesting by then)

Oh, well... At least it gives me time to finish my thesis (March 27th deadlineohmy.gif) without having to deal with any news...

Got theh same response on the phone just now. I was told that responses will be sent out through email by the end of April! END OF APRIL? Is it for real, or are they giving the worst possible scenario? My application was complete in December, and the email at that point said "we will begin to review your application within the next few weeks."

this is starting to get ridiculous.... am i crazy to think I should have heard something from all my schools by now? and if not, than assume rejection? Two rejections thus far (3 and 2 weeks ago)... so i am worried these other schools are just late in getting out their rejections. Anyone hear from sfu or uwo ma in poli sci??

thanks for any answers ! this forum has kept me from crossing the crazy line... so far....

this is starting to get ridiculous.... am i crazy to think I should have heard something from all my schools by now? and if not, than assume rejection? Two rejections thus far (3 and 2 weeks ago)... so i am worried these other schools are just late in getting out their rejections. Anyone hear from sfu or uwo ma in poli sci??

thanks for any answers ! this forum has kept me from crossing the crazy line... so far....

Poliscijunkie -- I don't think you should assume the worst, but I think you have a legitimate right to expect an update by now.

Have you been checking the survey page to see whether other people have heard back from those schools? http://thegradcafe.com/survey/ (go to the page, enter your school name and the program -- e.g. "University of Toronto" "political science")

At this point, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending polite notes to each of the departments asking for a status update. You could mention that you have already heard back from all of the other places to which you applied and will need to make a decision soon (whether or not this is exactly true). I contacted the last three schools I was waiting to hear from and received positive responses within 24-48 hours. In one case, an acceptance; in another, waitlisted; in the last case, a note saying they would try to rush my application.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Lymrance

U of T MA Counseling Psychology anyone?

Was rejected from NYU about a week ago and FREAKING out about U of T. Ah. Can't wait anymore.

I applied to OISE M.A. in Counselling Psychology .I sent them an e-mail last week and they told me that decisions will be sent out in late March/early April.

I applied to OISE M.A. in Counselling Psychology .I sent them an e-mail last week and they told me that decisions will be sent out in late March/early April.

Ughh.

Flipping out.

I checked the stats and saw ONE person had said they got their acceptance on February 25th! Don't get it.

Do you know how we'll be notified? Mail, email, phone? :)

I know how you feel...Have you applied to other universities as well?They will e-mail us the decisions (at least,that's what they told me).

Still nothing from York U. :( Why are they taking so long?

Edited by PrettyVacant