Athens, GA

locura81

You can live in a nicer place near campus for the same amount of money or less.

Can you elaborate on this? As in, can you comment more specifically on the Univ Village and Rogers Road apts? I'm an international student and it's not possible for me to search for off-campus housing, so basically campus housing is the only option for me.

Can you elaborate on this? As in, can you comment more specifically on the Univ Village and Rogers Road apts? I'm an international student and it's not possible for me to search for off-campus housing, so basically campus housing is the only option for me.

Like I said earlier in this thread or another related one, I contacted www.promove.com and I think its a reliable and free service. You may want to check them out, they will help you find an apartment.

• 10 months later...

yes, you will have to fly into atlanta. there are several shuttle companies that go from the atlanta airport to athens. most are probably around $40-55. the ride take about 1.5 hours usually depending on traffic.

Hi, all, I, too am interested in Athens. I will be attending UGA Fall 2010 in a PhD program and would like to know about recommended apartments, houses, and/or connect with anyone interested in finding a roommate or roommates to reduce costs.

Edited by healthcomm

Hi, all, I, too am interested in Athens. I will be attending UGA Fall 2010 in a PhD program and would like to know about recommended apartments, houses, and/or connect with anyone interested in finding a roommate or roommates to reduce costs.

Hi. UGA undergrad student about to leave Athens in few months here. To find housing in this town, you will first need to know what you are looking for. Do you want to be really close to campus, close enough to still walk/bike a little distance, or don't mind taking the bus/driving a car? Another thing to consider is if you want the rooms to be furnished or not. Currently, I live in a short walking distance to the campus and downtown and am fully satisfied. I tried the take the bus and leave far away thing last year, and it just did not work for me. You may also want to consider on-campus housing? I believe there are limited slots available just for grad students.

As for roommates, you can find many people looking for one on facebook or craigslist. Having roommates is highly recommended, as you still indeed cut some major expenses.

Hi. UGA undergrad student about to leave Athens in few months here. To find housing in this town, you will first need to know what you are looking for. Do you want to be really close to campus, close enough to still walk/bike a little distance, or don't mind taking the bus/driving a car? Another thing to consider is if you want the rooms to be furnished or not. Currently, I live in a short walking distance to the campus and downtown and am fully satisfied. I tried the take the bus and leave far away thing last year, and it just did not work for me. You may also want to consider on-campus housing? I believe there are limited slots available just for grad students.

As for roommates, you can find many people looking for one on facebook or craigslist. Having roommates is highly recommended, as you still indeed cut some major expenses.

Are there certain complexes/areas you recommend or avoid? It would be nice to live within walking distance, so I am most interested in the areas near campus. I want somewhere quiet at night where I can study and sleep peacefully. Thanks for the advice!

Are there certain complexes/areas you recommend or avoid? It would be nice to live within walking distance, so I am most interested in the areas near campus. I want somewhere quiet at night where I can study and sleep peacefully. Thanks for the advice!

I would definitely avoid a complex called River Club, which is where I lived before. They are in a middle of nowhere, one bus an hour, and the management is almost nonexistent. Also avoid River Walk townhome and Lakeside, since they are managed by the same people. You have to understand that although many claim that they will send their maintenance workers in right away, most don't care about you once you sign the lease.

Although most near campus apartments do not come furnished, since you will most likely be in Athens for several years (you are a PhD student, right?), it may be worth investing into basic furniture (bed, desk, night stand, etc.). If that is no problem, I would highly recommend Waterford Place. They have reasonable rate, fairly responsive management, and a great location. Another complex that may work well for you is River Mill. They do have furnished rooms, 5 mins walk to campus, and I hear they do roommate matching. The only con about River Mill is that they are a little pricey compared to many other apartments in the area. If you look for the apartments here during the summer (July or even August), you may be able to negotiate the set rate for rooms, since most want to fill to their capacity. One last area I may recommend is around the 5 Points area. 5 Points is a short distance out of campus, the bus runs frequently, and many walk/bike from there. Many locals and professors live in that area as well, so you will definitely get away from the rowdy undergraduates. Three coffee shops, laundromat, several restaurants, and the grocery store being there doesn't hurt either. Unfortunately, I am not able to recommend you any place around there, since I do not know their names.

If you would like to look at apartments here on the web, I would look at apartmentfinder. Some of the local management companies you may want to contact are Parker & Associates and Landmark Properties.

I hope all those info helps. Let me know if you have other questions. I have helped several international students find housing in this area, since I was the orientation leader for them for two years.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how Athens is for grad students? In other words, is it a nice place to be even if your idea of a nice town has little to do with what an undergrad might like in a city?

Also, which other cities in America might be comparable to Athens (in terms of size, offerings, collegiate atmosphere, etc.)? I've lived in Ann Arbor, MI, and from the sounds of it, Athens seems somewhat comparable. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

Hi - In my opinion, Athens is NOT comparable to Ann Arbor - If we're staying in the Big Ten, Athens is much more similar to Bloomington, IN. Small, college town (Athens/Bloomington) about an hour or so away from the big city (Atlanta/Indianapolis). Thinking like a Michigan town, if you took Ann Arbor and put it say, an hour in the middle of no where (maybe in like Howell or Chelsea), then it's more comparable. Athletics are strong, and it does have very loyal fans. The town is very college/university focused as that is a large part of life there. There is a strong music scene (or so I'm told). Hope that helps - maybe some native Georgians can weigh in. I'm from Michigan, so from that perspective, I think I am fairly accurate...

I am an international student, and I am joining UGA from fall 2010 for my graduate studies. I have searched for housing near the campus and in a walkable distance, and the places which looked really good are baldwin village apartments, river mills apts, and hillside apts on the East Cloverhurst Avenue off Baxter Street. I will be glad if someone familiar with athens can comment on these apartment complexes, especially on 1) nearness to campus/easy availability of campus transport , 2) low noise levels

Cloverhurst @ Baxter is easily walking distance to campus. As for how those specific complexes are, I couldn't say. Also know that students ride Athens Transit for free with a student ID (you actually swipe it when getting on the bus). So, if it's bad weather, there is a way around.

Something about Athens that I've found rather unique is that there are mini-ghettos throughout the city. It's not one area, but easily a half a dozen scattered about. There's one (Paul Doe) off Hawthorne (NW side near me) and another north of downtown off College and another there on Baxter near Rocksprings. Parts of the east side outside the Perimeter are more run down than they are ghetto. It is possible to live near these pockets and not have any problems at all. If you have a vehicle, make sure you bring valuables inside instead of leaving them in plain sight. Invest in renter's insurance. Get to know your neighbors (they make great look-outs when you're not home).

Cloverhurst @ Baxter is easily walking distance to campus. As for how those specific complexes are, I couldn't say. Also know that students ride Athens Transit for free with a student ID (you actually swipe it when getting on the bus). So, if it's bad weather, there is a way around.

Something about Athens that I've found rather unique is that there are mini-ghettos throughout the city. It's not one area, but easily a half a dozen scattered about. There's one (Paul Doe) off Hawthorne (NW side near me) and another north of downtown off College and another there on Baxter near Rocksprings. Parts of the east side outside the Perimeter are more run down than they are ghetto. It is possible to live near these pockets and not have any problems at all. If you have a vehicle, make sure you bring valuables inside instead of leaving them in plain sight. Invest in renter's insurance. Get to know your neighbors (they make great look-outs when you're not home).

well, here in my country ghettos are associated with low cost housing/rundown areas; so I am hoping that you are using that term with the same context, and I desire to avoid living in such areas.

actually, in the first year I think I am not going to invest in buying a car, hence I can afford my share of rent upto $550-$600, and from I have gathered, I think I must be able to afford most furnished apartments in athens. my only priorities are 1) having apartment close enough to downtown supermarkets, restaurants, as well as to campus 2) high safety neighborhoods.

about the athen transit buses, I have heard that they dont ply in the evening and on weekends/holidays, hence I am more worried on having apartment as close as possible to both campus and downtown areas. i shall be glad if you can suggest some suitable apartment complexes, or alternately, suggest a few reputed local real estate management companies.

Athens Transit has night and weekend routes. Go to the website and check the schedule. Also, they have GPS on the buses so you can track them online. This is handy since they often are running behind schedule.

So do most graduate students live within walking distance of campus, or a bit further away? If I do decide to attend, I'd have a car and would be willing to spend around $600-$650/month on rent. I've never been to Athens, though, and I don't want to end up getting a great deal on an apartment that just so happens to be in a bad neighborhood.

600-650 will be plenty to spend there. I would look to rent in the five points area as you will find some nice apartments there and it is within walking distance to campus. most of the stuff there is smaller complexes so it is best to go there to check them out as they probably don't have websites. Athens is strange in terms of good/bad neighborhoods as there really are not any terrible neighborhoods there but i also would say that there are not great neighborhoods either. dont leave stuff in your car no matter where you live there.

five points is probably the safest area though. start looking at the intersection of lumpkin and milledge and go out from there about a mile or two in any direction and you should be ok. there are some small complexes off cloverhurst that are cheap and quiet if i remember correctly

check out dearing garden apartments, fiddler's green apartments if looking for a bigger complex

Yes, that is the same sense of the word ghetto. I mention it, because it's the one thing no one talked about and took me by surprise.

As for being close to downtown, it's fun, there are cool little shops and bars, but there are no grocery stores immediately in the downtown area. Earth Fare is in Five Points, and while one of my favorites, it's not cheap. There is a Kroger at the west end of Baxter, too. There are others in the respective areas of town.

FWIW, I'm married and we have 1 car between us. My husband works full time and has the car 99% of the time. From the end of November until late last week, I was always on the buses (finally got my scooter tuned up and the weather isn't as bad as it's been). They have their frustrations (as rising star pointed out, the website is awesome with good info), but overall I've been satisfied. I'm on the edge of Normaltown/ARMC. That puts me near the NE corner of town still inside the Perimeter. I've hopped the #7 up to Kroger to get a few groceries and then made it back out to catch the #5 home on occasion. Most routes only run once an hour and they can be regularly 5-10 minutes late. Build that in to your travel time and there's no problem.

@Dacey: well i am really glad that you mentioned about the ghettos, so that now i shall know what areas to avoid :rolleyes:, from what I have understood from reading here that the safe bet for getting a house in a good neighbourhood near to campus is in and around five points area;and actually, as I wont be getting the opportunity to go around athens and search for housing on the ground, and hence I think I will have to stick to housing managed by real estate management companies having websites.

@Rising_Star: I have gone through the athens transit website, and I think the bus system seems to be good, however, the only disadvantage is the low frequency of buses in evening and reduced services on holidays...

@larry83: I have searched online for a few apartments near the five points area, and the only decent ones having websites are milledge chase apartments on south millege avenue, and towne club condominiums on springdale street. if you happen to know any more of the apartments, then do tell me...

@phid: is there are other particluar neighbourhoods at which you are looking, besides five points? well i am asking because, our budgets, and requirements seems to be quite similar..

As I said before, I'm on the edge of the Normaltown/ARMC area. I rent a 3-1 house for $725/month. Most of the 2 bedrooms in this neighborhood run $650ish. I have a friend who just rented one of the loft apartments on Baxter (towards the Alps Rd end; across from Gnat's Landing). It's a real nice 1-1 and he's paying $625/month.

well dacey, thanks for the link.....it does looks from it that a lot of petty crime took place in a span of one week, so I shall hav to be even more careful about living in a good neighborhood....I am searching of 1bedroom-bathroom apartment in the budget of about $550-600, and from your post, it seems that atleast budget will not turn out to be a problem,....

@phid: if you do decide to join UGA then do pm me, so that we can talk more abt it....

Immediately north of campus is downtown. Just beyond that, there are some rough areas. My husband was a paramedic when we first moved here and he would pick up no less than 1 male undergrad a week who would get mugged/beat up while walking back towards downtown after dark (they would try to be the gallant southern gentleman and walk home their dates from games/events and you walk right past one of those mini-ghettos I mentioned). The city is revamping and industry is remodeling parts of that area, but it's still iffy.

I did have the pleasure of hanging out in one of the Family/Grad Housing apartments just south of campus last night. It's a 1-1 with a study and VERY nice on the inside with all modern appliances and fixtures. I was impressed. The downside there is no pets (if you have or want to have one).

Good luck in your decisions/searches!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Peter Street , or more specifically Fairview St., in Athens is safe for a graduate student? My boyfriend and I found a perfect house there but have heard mixed thoughts on safety.

Does anyone know if Peter Street , or more specifically Fairview St., in Athens is safe for a graduate student? My boyfriend and I found a perfect house there but have heard mixed thoughts on safety.

I lived a block away from Peter Street for 2 1/2 years. It's not the safest neighborhood in Athens by any means, but I never had any issues. That area is gentrifying pretty quickly and filling up with grad students/young professionals. Let me know if you have any questions, I still live only 4-5 blocks from there.

Edited by LockeOak

I have found a 2 bedroom-2.5bathroom unfurnished condo for about $900/mnth (excluding utilities) called rutherford commons, it lies on 211 W. Rutherford Street; which is about 0.3 miles from the five points area. the property is managed by parker and associates. I will highly appreciate if some of the athens residents can tell me whether this is a good property to live in or any opinion about this neighborhood.

please reply soon, so based on opinions here, I can decide to apply for the lease.

P.S. I had earlier mentioned in this athens thread, I am an international student, and hence I do not have the opportunity to personally check out the apartment before I apply for lease.