Athens, GA

locura81

It's between Lumpkin & Milledge, which is a generally good area. I'm trying to think if I've ever been past there, but honestly don't think I have (and it'd be Thursday before I could swing past there and look in person.

I have found a 2 bedroom-2.5bathroom unfurnished condo for about $900/mnth (excluding utilities) called rutherford commons, it lies on 211 W. Rutherford Street; which is about 0.3 miles from the five points area. the property is managed by parker and associates. I will highly appreciate if some of the athens residents can tell me whether this is a good property to live in or any opinion about this neighborhood.

please reply soon, so based on opinions here, I can decide to apply for the lease.

P.S. I had earlier mentioned in this athens thread, I am an international student, and hence I do not have the opportunity to personally check out the apartment before I apply for lease.

the location itself is great, close to campus and relatively safe. i think this is the best area to live in athens.

i don't think they are bad apartments but i have heard bad things about parker and associates management. you have picked out the right area in my opinion and i don't have any personal experience with parker and associates so i cant say what people had issues with. All I know is that they don't have the best reputation in town.

@Dacey: Based on your earlier helpful replies, I had concentrated my search in the vicinity of five points (as seen from google maps !!); but I cannot find many specific reviews online pertaining to either the rutherford commons or about the street its located on. It shall be great if it can be possible for you to just have a look at the street/apt complex; actually that will be a huge huge favor to me as dat will give me good amount of assurance before applying for lease and paying up a deposit ....I shall wait for you opinions before i actually jump on, and sign it....Thanks a lot...

@Larry83: even on net, I have read many poor reviews about parker and associates, so no wonder its reputation out there must be lousy. But it so happens that there are no housing complexes in and around five points having websites or having online presence. Now, based from opinions here, I thought its a good idea to live around the safer areas of five points, and as I cannot come there and look for the apartments on the ground; hence I had no option but to go with parker and associates ........(however, I hope that they dont turn out to be as bad as seen from online reviews !!!:))

The property looks nice and is in a great location, but @larry83's post about P&A got me to thinking. These reviews on Yahoo! Local are pretty telling. I looked them up in the Better Business Bureau and see only 1 complaint, but it is unresolved due to Parker & Associate's failure to respond (leading the BBB to note the partnership as "out of business," though they are clearly not). That's not a good sign at all. I know these aren't things you really want to hear, but should. If you think you can deal with the management company for up to a year, then take the shortest lease possible and consider finding something else once you get here.

@Dacey: well, these reviews do tell many things about Parker and associates...and frankly many of them are scary....I will then still keep my search on for the apt in five points area....and if I cannot find any then only I shall go with parker and associates.....

actually, when I had talked with their representative, his answers were all one word or thereabouts, and clearly lacking enthusiasm, so i did thought that were not great property managers....their only seemin advantage was a large number of properties under their managementand thus more choices for prospective tenants ...but I will definately think twice before signin the lease, and wiring the deposit money....

@Dacey: As you told about being careful about parker and associates, hence, I searched for some other apartments, and have found really a nice studio apartment (they call it 'efficiency') apartment very near to my workplace ( chemistry dept building) called 'the lyons'. its cost it 580$/month but this is including furnishing, electricity and water. it has all the usual appliances ; except washer dryer, and dishwasher. its managed by mathis management. it lies on 1050 S. Lumpkin St. Athens, about 0.9 miles from 5 points.

the maps of it are:

http://www.mathismgt.com/map.htm

and this is the apt:

http://www.mathismgt.com/gallery3.htm

Now, I have really relied on opinions here; hence, it will be a really big favor if can you please tell me whether is this a safe area to live in ?. It shall be great if you can please have a look at the apartment complex when you pass through that area; as, dat wil help me know how the apt is from exterior (its a eight floor apt). also is this area exclusively for undergrads, or do grad students do live in this neighborhoods.

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone is still looking for housing...

640 Hawthorne (just around the corner from me) is now available and they need someone quick. It's a 2-1 with hardwood floors throughout, an 8ft privacy fence, and a screened back porch. Pets are allowed (no pet deposit!). The landlord's business is just two doors down and he's really the best landlord you could ask for. Rent is only $550/month! This is a serious steal.

For those curious about transportation, it's about 2.5 miles to the front of campus. My building is on the south end of campus and I work downtown (near the front end). I have a scooter, but on rainy days, I take the city bus. There are five stops for two routes within about a block and a half of us. There's also a gas station with small convenience store and a CVS Pharmacy within a block. There are a handful of students in the neighborhood, but not many and all are graduate students.

If you're interested (or if you have a friend who needs a place), PM me and I'll get you in contact with the leasing agent.

• 10 months later...

I used to go to UGA and still own a 2 BR 2 1/2 BA Condo down there. It is on the bus line (City and UGA) and is off Milledge Ave. near family/grad housing. It is pretty affordable and I would love to rent it to a grad student(s) rather than some undergrads. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I'm moving to Athens this fall to start in the PhD history program at UGA, so I thought I'd revive this thread. I'm looking for a decent apartment close to campus. If anyone currently living in Athens could respond and tell me what neighborhoods are good to look in, or recommend apartment complexes that they have lived in or have heard good things about, I'd appreciate it. I'm most intrigued by Baldwin Village, seeing as it's a 2 minute walk to the history department and the main library. Has anyone lived there or heard anything about it? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am an incoming PhD student in Communications, for those looking for housing, myself and and another PhD student are renting a nice 3-bedroom home in the Pinecrest subdivision on the Eastside of Athens and are looking for a 3rd roommate to share in the lease. 12-month lease starting August 1st. Room rate is $300 (plus 1/3rd of utilities). Contact me if interested. Thanks!

I'm moving to Athens this fall to start in the PhD history program at UGA, so I thought I'd revive this thread. I'm looking for a decent apartment close to campus. If anyone currently living in Athens could respond and tell me what neighborhoods are good to look in, or recommend apartment complexes that they have lived in or have heard good things about, I'd appreciate it. I'm most intrigued by Baldwin Village, seeing as it's a 2 minute walk to the history department and the main library. Has anyone lived there or heard anything about it? Thanks.

Does anyone know about the east vs west sides of Athens? I've heard such mixed reviews on each. My husband and I went to Athens a few weeks ago and generally liked the 5 points area, but found that all the places we could afford were too small. So, we branched out and looked a little further from campus, although still within 3-4 miles of campus. Both sides of town looked nice, I guess I'm just looking for opinions of folks who have lived on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in any updates about Athens as well. Anyone have any experience with Mi Casa apartments?

Hi,

if you're still considering Mi Casa - my advice is to stay away! The location is perfect, however, there are urban legends about the management at that place; I have heard that the layout and the furnishings (in the furnished units) are straight out of the 70s...

The general area of 5 points is decent with regular UGA and Athens Transit bus service on weekdays. It is convenient to south campus in particular. Depending on your price range apartments around campus shouldn't run more than $850-900/2 bed/1 bath units.

Almost anything between Macon Hwy and downtown along Lumpkin Street is a fair bet, as well as Milledge avenue from the Perimeter to Prince avenue.

I can warn you about Mi Casa, University Garden (off Baxter street) and River Club though.

Does anyone know about the east vs west sides of Athens? I've heard such mixed reviews on each. My husband and I went to Athens a few weeks ago and generally liked the 5 points area, but found that all the places we could afford were too small. So, we branched out and looked a little further from campus, although still within 3-4 miles of campus. Both sides of town looked nice, I guess I'm just looking for opinions of folks who have lived on both sides.

I was an undergrad at UGA for 4+ years and lived in 5 points, as well as the west side (off Baxter and Alps Rd). I could tell you that there is not one place that you could say is perfect in all aspects, however I would rate them as such: 1. 5 pts 2. East Side (certain areas) 3. West Side;

I would avoid areas on the west side of downtown up to Alps Rd along Atlanta Hwy as well as most places along Baxter Street that are close to Clarke Central High School. On the upside, anything along Lumpkin Stree from Macon Hwy to Downtown is a fair bet, as well as Milledge Avenue (and its cross streets) between the Loop and Baxter street;

I hope this helps and all the best at UGA!

• 2 months later...

I used to go to UGA and still own a 2 BR 2 1/2 BA Condo down there. It is on the bus line (City and UGA) and is off Milledge Ave. near family/grad housing. It is pretty affordable and I would love to rent it to a grad student(s) rather than some undergrads. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Do you still own it? Or are you still renting it out? I plan to apply and attend grad school at UGA next year. Just trying to get an idea of what the prices are like.

Do you still own it? Or are you still renting it out? I plan to apply and attend grad school at UGA next year. Just trying to get an idea of what the prices are like.

Yes, I do still own it. It is currently rented out, but will probably be available when you plan on coming. It is very reasonably priced. Email me when it gets closer and I'll get it shown to you.

Yes, I do still own it. It is currently rented out, but will probably be available when you plan on coming. It is very reasonably priced. Email me when it gets closer and I'll get it shown to you.

Sounds great -thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you still want to know about Mi Casa, please read all 17 reviews at apartmentratings:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/GA-Athens-MI-Casa-Apartments.html#b

Just google:

505 Bloomfield Street, Athens, GA 30605

706-353-1429

Just go and visit on a Saturday or a weekday evening after 5:30 PM. Just walk around and knock on some doors. The owner/landlord is a fruitcake. Her son and niece work in the office with her and they are nuts also. Her father built the apartments, and like PhDMKTG wrote, the location is absolutely perfect. However, the carpets and fixtures are horrible, right out of the 70s, and the landlord will scream at you and blame you for anything. And I do mean anything. There's a criminal trying to break into your apartment, well, it's your fault. The laundry room is flooded? It's your fault for washing your clothes. Don't stay here. The location is terrific, but it's just not worth it to put up with her.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a conundrum. I was super excited to be accepted to UGA for the Fall in the Anthropology PhD program. Now however, I am finding it increasingly hard to locate housing and/or a realtor who is willing to work with me long distance. I have scoured craigslist, I have asked my department, I have sent multiple emails to realtors, I have worn out google search- only to come up empty handed or for people to tell me that they will not rent sight unseen. I understand it is a big gamble (to rent sight unseen), but I am currently located in Western Australia and will not be returning to the US until late-June early July (this cannot be avoided with work responsibilities). I know it is very VERY early, but I would like to have something set-up or at least a general feeling of comfort knowing that I have a place to move to. I will be moving to Athens with my very good friend and she is not able to view apartments either as she is located in Massachusetts. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any good rental agencies who will help me locate and rent (possibly pre-lease) an apartment long distance? Thank you everyone in advance.

hey there. i've been accepted to UGA with a graduate research assistantship for two years, and i wanted to ask the community to get a sense of how well the stipend works out in Athens (i'd gather than every GRA stipend is the same, regardless of the department).

thanks!

• 1 month later...

brooklyn, the stipend goes a long way. Cost of living in Athens is pretty low, and the stipends are very generous. I lived in a pretty nice 1BR my first year, and that cost $520 plus utilities. It's not hard to live comfortably on the stipend and have money left over.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Athens, GA is looking like a definitely possibility for me this Fall. I grew up in a college town, currently attend a program in a college town (Chapel Hill), and really dig the possibility of attending a PhD program in another college town.

Any advice on apartment hunting (location location location!), prices, public transit, parking situations, local culture, music culture, football, etc.?

Thanks in advance!