Athens, GA

locura81

Neither of us have had racist acts/statements made towards us in Athens, because we're white. But my cousin has told me of many things she's heard, about other people, that are clearly racist statements. Obviously this happens everywhere. I just think Athens has a certain culture about it that I just wouldn't want to be a part of.

I should add that obviously I'm not saying UGA discriminates in who they accept or how they treat their students. I'm saying that I think racism and sexism are common there because of the attitudes and backgrounds of many of the students who choose to go there. Maybe none of this even matters as a graduate student, because you probably wouldn't have that much interaction with undergrads. But then again, the majority of the people in the city are probably undergrads.

I didn't actually say anything about Gainesville, other than that she transferred there. I didn't say it was less racist/sexist than Athens. I don't know anything about Gainesville. My cousin just likes the school better, but now she commutes, so she just goes to class and does her thing and goes home. So she doesn't really have a feel for Gainesville itself.

Well I don't think any school would advertise being racist.

Sorry if it seems like I'm grilling you Tiffany. I was just trying to clarify about your background so that I could better understand what about Athens you really disliked. So how does Gainesville, GA compare to Athens? Is it closer to Atlanta? More diverse?

I should clarify that I never meant that UGA, as an institution, was racist. I don't think that they discriminate against their students.

I also didn't mean that Gainesville is any better, I actually have no idea. My cousin doesn't live here, she just commutes, and she likes the school better, but doesn't actually live in Gainesville. It is actually further from Atlanta, and possibly even less diverse than Athens. I think it's a pretty small town.

Neither of us have had racist acts/statements made towards us in Athens, because we're white. But my cousin has told me of many things she's heard, about other people, that are clearly racist statements. Obviously this happens everywhere. I just think Athens has a certain culture about it that I just wouldn't want to be a part of.

I should add that obviously I'm not saying UGA discriminates in who they accept or how they treat their students. I'm saying that I think racism and sexism are common there because of the attitudes and backgrounds of many of the students who choose to go there. Maybe none of this even matters as a graduate student, because you probably wouldn't have that much interaction with undergrads. But then again, the majority of the people in the city are probably undergrads.

Where are you from originally? I feel like this is one of those cases where something rubbed your cousin the wrong way, and ever since then she has only had a negative view of UGA. There are racist and sexist people everywhere from all backgrounds. A guy I started dating a while back had the most loving mother ever who was very good to him, and he was one of the most sexist people I've ever met (which is why I am no longer with this person). I think sexism among southern-type frat guys is more a matter of immaturity and misunderstanding than an actual superiority complex towards women. Many of them will grow out of it, and if not, then they can just stay closed minded. I just won't have anything to do with them.

This isn't 1965 as much as America might like to think the south is racist, we're generally coming out of that. You get a few bad seeds, but you get those everywhere for anything. People get talked about and made fun of through stupid jokes because of gender, weight, height, interests, car, family, race, kids, etc. etc. etc. If we all avoided places where we stood a chance of having someone say something negative to a friend, then we would all have to sit at home on our butts. You wouldn't be able to watch tv or listen to music, only stare at the wall.

There really becomes a point where you just have to get over it and move on. I'm not saying people should be held unaccountable for being racist or hateful in any way, but the only way to stand up to it is just make yourself better. If it's true a bunch of sexist racists go to UGA, then wouldn't a black female getting a masters degree from the same school these people are getting a degree enable her to have the last laugh? Either she's just as good as them, or they're just as "bad" as her. That being said, the people I know from highschool who went to UGA are far from racists. They are kind people who would help anyone on a dime.

It's just not a place that I would want to live. Almost all the people who live in Athens are students, and almost all of them are white.

Having a life outside of school is very important to me, and Athens doesn't have a lot of things to do, outside of the bar scene.

My cousin went to UGA for a year before transferring to Gainesville. She quickly tired of the drunk frat kids everywhere and the ridiculous emphasis on football, which seems to run the school. She says it's still a "good ole boy" town, where racism and sexism are all too common. Her other complaints wouldn't apply to grad school, like the fact that there are 150+ students in some classes.

Basically, I personally just couldn't live in any college town like that. I need diversity. I need interaction with non-students. I need fun things to do on weekends.

I agree with you that the frat boys and the football game days are rather annoying. But I almost never go to bars, and I've never felt that there's a lack of things to do in Athens. If I happen to want to go to a bar, I go to a sensible place where I can actually have a conversation with the person sitting next to me, like the Globe or Copper Creek.

I don't mean any offense--please don't take it that way--but I'm just curious as to why you think there's nothing to do in Athens. What's your idea of "fun things to do on weekends" that Athens lacks? And what sorts of barriers are there to interactions with non-students, if you so choose?

Just curious.

How diverse is the Athens area (in terms of the population)? I assume that as a grad student I won't encounter too many of the southern frat boys. So I'm just wondering what kind of people I would encounter?

Here is my perspective on Athens after living here for 2 years for grad school: it's not that there is nothing to do but go to bars, but Athens is a college town in every sense of the word. If that is going to make your life miserable, UGA is not the school for you. You will run into southern frat boys.

Bad things about a college town: loud at night. Drunk drivers after 2am. Etc.

Good things about a college town: great live music (Athens in particular is known for this). Low cost of living- cheap food/drinks/etc.

Athens does not have "less to do" than any other city its size that is 80 miles from a big city (ATL). There is a great $2 movie theater. The climbing wall at the rec center is fun. There are trails around the lake to go running/take dogs for walks/etc. You are only 1-2 hours from the north Georgia mountains. There are often interesting speakers & cool performances on campus. And let's be honest: when you're in grad school, you don't have lots of time or money to be doing all sorts of fun activities, anyway. Yes, football weekends will be a hassle if you try to go downtown or onto campus on gameday and you're not there for the festivities . But it's just 6 days a year so that is not a big deal. By the way, UGA just passed a new tougher tailgating policy last week. Not super-tough (a la Ohio State), but more restrictive.

Athens is a liberal city. The undergrad population at UGA is overwhelmingly conservative. It's quite interesting, actually. Athens is a very poor county so you will definitely see homeless people. But that's in other cities too, of course. And the south to my knowledge usually has more homeless people than the north b/c of the climate. Other than that, Athens is just a normal city. You've got the students. The soccer moms. The kids. The business folks. Etc.

I agree w/the poster who liked Copper Creek and the Globe. Definitely great bars where you will encounter a non-undergrad crowd. Most of the bars west of downtown are non-undergrady, too. Like the Manhattan and Lunch Paper (?).

• 2 weeks later...

The market in Athens has a pretty reasonable cost of living. Most of the apartment complexes are 1-2 miles from campus. You can drive (parking permits are $100+/yr depending which lot you're in) or ride the bus (I've never taken it so I don't know whether it's convenient or not).

There are 2 apartment complexes that are very close to campus. I live in one, Baldwin Village, that is a 5+ minute walk to the student center & the library on North Campus. Mostly 1 bdrm ($500+/mo) but few 2 bdrm. 706.354.4261. River Mill is across the street. $50-$75 more/mo for 1 bdrm. Many 2 or 3 bdrm apartments also.

Most people either live on the east side or the west side. Campus and downtown are in the middle.

Anything that is relatively new construction is probably populated with undergrads. Several of the new complexes in town have resort-style pools, free tanning beds (!), putting greens (!), etc. It's a little crazy. Be aware of this because these places will be noiser.

Hope this helps. Athens is a fun town! I'm really going to miss football gamedays in the fall when I'm at Carolina. I guess I'll have to start getting excited about college basketball.

• 1 year later...

A lot of the information posted in the past is still valid. A lot depends on how close you want to live to campus. Avoid the Riverbend Rd mega-complexes, and most of the stuff right off North Ave (The Lodge, stuff on Berlin St) and you should be fine. Athens is pretty hit or miss with crime.

A lot of the information posted in the past is still valid. A lot depends on how close you want to live to campus. Avoid the Riverbend Rd mega-complexes, and most of the stuff right off North Ave (The Lodge, stuff on Berlin St) and you should be fine. Athens is pretty hit or miss with crime.

This is really true (with the addition of River Mill as another place to stay away from). There are some really nice places to stay if you don't mind a bit of a drive to school. If not, there is a great bus system to help you out if you don't have a car (which is free to all students).

Good luck with all! By the way, if anyone wants to know anything about the LGBT community and climate for LGBT students, I am here, so just PM me. (I'm doing my BS/MA at UGA and am really involved in the LGBT community.)

I'm a graduate student so I'm looking for complexes that are a little quiter, smaller, etc. I don't necessarily have to live within walking distance to campus or anything, I have a car and driving isn't a problem...As long as it's not too far! Anyway, I have checked out the apartment websites and everything but you can never really get a good idea by just looking at pictures. Could you give specific info on any of these apartment complexes? I'm looking for a one bedroom apartment (just me) around $500-$600 a month. Thanks!

Arbor Creek

Athens Highland

Dearing Garden

Fairfax Hall/Raintree

Fiddler's Green

Laurel Pointe

I've never heard of Fiddler's Green. Don't do Raintree/Fairfax. Dearing Garden is probably full by now. Arbor Creek is fine and Athens Highland is ok (plus their manager lives onsite). Laurel Pointe can be hit or miss. Definitely stay far away from Tara. At your price point, you could actually get a 2bedroom and use the second room as an office. I say this because spending over $450 for a one bedroom seems excessive to me and at $550-600 you are at the price of 2 bedrooms in Athens. There are plenty more complexes and deals out there. Your best bet is to spend maybe 2-3 days in Athens driving around and looking at places. Esp since so many places are small and don't have big websites for you to find. The Bluffs comes to mind in that regard. Def check Craig's List too.

I too am looking at apartments in Athens. A lot of your recommendations are very helpful rising star. Do you know anything about the Paces at Woodlake? It seems like a nice quiet place for graduate studies. Also, do you know anything about Bromsgrove or Cross Creek? I am looking for a one bedroom like blablabla so any helpful advice is appreciated! I am planning on a weekend trip up there but I want to have a list of places to visit before I go.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about all the duplex communities in Athens. I'd be moving there with my husband and our baby, so buying a duplex, living in one half and renting out the other would be and ideal situation. But what kind of opinion do Athens residents and students have about these duplex neighborhoods? Are they seen as quality housing? What kind of people live there?

Honestly, picklejar, I don't think a lot of the duplexes have been well maintained over the years. Like Park East is kinda bleck, at least the couple I've been inside of. I don't know about the other duplex communities but definitely be wary of location (things out Jefferson Rd, North Ave, or Commerce Rd) will be harder to find a tenant for.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who straddles the liberal activist/fraternity member divide, I can say with confidence that no one social group in Athens is so oppresive that you can't escape it. True, about 18% of UGA's undergraduate population is in a Greek-letter organization, but Athens is a really diverse community to be as small as it is (around 100,000 permanent residents). Athens has a thriving arts/music/culture scene, and there are a variety of cultural events (especially the Human Rights festival) and community events (especially the Twilight Criterium, a nighttime bicycle race through downtown Athens) that really help make Athens a great place to live for all kinds of people. UGA has an incredible array of large-school research advantages but it hasn't changed Athens' small town feel. At the risk of sounding cliche`, Athens really does have something for everybody.

I earned a B.S. in Psychology and an M.A. in Religion here, and after 7 years I'm sad to leave. Regarding places to live, there are a number of complexes which are difficult to find online, but easy to find by driving around town. My recommendation to anybody who is moving here is to come here for a day or two and just drive around. My favorite area to live is just West of the dorms, off Bloomfield. It's a quieter area with houses and smaller apartment complexes, and the UGA bus goes down Milledge Ave. so a bus stop for the campus bus is never more than a block or two away. I enjoy it because I refuse to pay for a parking pass, and Athens is a *very* bike/walking/public transportation friendly place.

I agree with the post that advised against North Ave. and Riverbend Rd. In my experience, any kind of gated community that you can find online (the Woodlands, the Retreat, the Reserve, Abbey West, etc) are all going to be full of rich white undergrads from Atlanta suburbs. As a graduate student, your best bet is to find the smaller complexes around campus (Dearing Gardens, Bloomfield Terrace, The Springdale, Mi Casa, etc). Also, some of the older areas of town (off Hancock Ave., Reese St., and other cross streets between Milledge, Broad, and Prince Ave.) are being rejuvenated. A number of older, smaller houses are being renovated in that "craftsman" style that seems to be so popular.

Finding great housing in Athens is relatively easy, but the easiest way to find it by far is to come here and look around campus, particularly west of the dorms and right around Five Points (where Lumpkin St. and Milledge Ave. meet).

Congratulations to anybody who's been admitted to UGA for Fall '08! You'll love it! :)

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me what they know about Beechwood Pines apartments? Or a complex called Cascades on the River (formerly Beechwood apartments)? I have heard bad things about the latter but these apts are now being majorly renovated and seem really nice. Thoughts, opinions from anyone who lives in Athens?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm a student from Ireland looking to work and live in a US city/town with a few friends this summer. We're really looking for somewhere that has a really busy nightlife during the summer. We also want to avoid the usual areas that irish students tend to go - a few summers ago I lived in montauk, NY (basically just Irish people!) and want to do something a little more authentic this time round!

So with this in mind do you guys think Athens would fit the bill? Basically looking for a bit of a party town......lots of booze - and of course women - but also somewhere that we might get part time work and with things to do during the day???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

• 2 months later...