MSW/MPH or MS (Harvard)? Advise, please!!

phmandsw

I applied into dual degree MSW/MPH (Health Policy and Management) programs at UW, Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA and one Public Health MS program (Harvard- 80 credit, Health Policy and Management).

ACCEPTED: Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA and Harvard for Public Health Policy and Management.

WAITING: UW and social work schools.

Assuming the trend continues and I get into Social Work schools:

My dilemma:

1) Harvard or not?:

Originally my thought was that I would pursue the dual degree, get licensed as an LCSW, and eventually would like to pursue a doctorate (public health). The acceptance into Harvard has really thrown me off (originally didn't expect it). Harvard does not have a MSW program so I would just be getting the MS and probably pursue a Phd next? and figure out the MSW later? Really hard to turn down the Harvard dream and not sure what would be the best choice? MSW/MPH at another school now or Harvard MS now?

2) West (home) or East Coast:

I live right next to UC Berkeley's School of Public Health/ Social Work- literally like 2 blocks away. But have lived here my ENTIRE LIFE and have a lot of distractions here and a change to the east coast would probably be good and less distracting.

Yet it would be A LOT cheaper for me to stay here and much more expensive to move elsewhere (plus lose this job and tenure and benefits) unless one or more of the other schools decides to give me a generous fin aid package which hasn't happened yet. I also have an employer that would bend over backwards to accomodate my schedule.

Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance-smile.gif

Congrats on the acceptances! I would recommend the following:

1. Before you make any decision, consider your financial aid awards. Go to the cheapest (best) school on your list.

2. Where do you want to live? Are you planning to stay in California? If so, I would recommend UC-Berkeley or UCLA over Harvard/Columbia, especially if you want to become a licensed clinical social worker in California.

Congrats on the acceptances! I would recommend the following:

1. Before you make any decision, consider your financial aid awards. Go to the cheapest (best) school on your list.

2. Where do you want to live? Are you planning to stay in California? If so, I would recommend UC-Berkeley or UCLA over Harvard/Columbia, especially if you want to become a licensed clinical social worker in California.

Thanks so much for the sound advice, michigan girl! Anxiously waiting to hear more about the financial aid awards... Re: becoming a LCSW in California - is the license/licensing exam state specific?

It really depends on what you want to do. Are you planning to get a PhD in Public Health? If so, then I think that the Harvard route can give you tremendous support in pursuing that eventuality. If however, you are planning to just do more macro-level social welfare policy work, then the dual degree option sounds like a great idea at any of these schools you have gotten into, especially Berkeley or Columbia. These both are schools with very strong policy programs. UCLA is great too, however in terms of just California, I would personally favor Berkeley over UCLA simply because of strength of the Goldman school there.

Like michigan girl already said, if you plan to get the LCSW, then staying in California is probably the best option, especially if you plan to pursue clinical work there. Yes, the LCSW exam is state specific, with California having the most difficult and stringent licensing requirements of all the states. If for example, you went to Columbia, the supervision hours that you pursue there through the MSW program will not be transferrable to California. You would have to re-do all the required supervised hours again there. Also, considering the costs of an MSW program, then taking advantage of the state-resident tuition fees is a great idea, especially if you can also earn some extra money at your current job during your studies.

What exactly is your motivation for pursuing the MSW/MPH dual degree? That would help clarify where you can fit in best.

Edited by emoleys

It really depends on what you want to do. Are you planning to get a PhD in Public Health? If so, then I think that the Harvard route can give you tremendous support in pursuing that eventuality. If however, you are planning to just do more macro-level social welfare policy work, then the dual degree option sounds like a great idea at any of these schools you have gotten into, especially Berkeley or Columbia. These both are schools with very strong policy programs. UCLA is great too, however in terms of just California, I would personally favor Berkeley over UCLA simply because of strength of the Goldman school there.

Like michigan girl already said, if you plan to get the LCSW, then staying in California is probably the best option, especially if you plan to pursue clinical work there. Yes, the LCSW exam is state specific, with California having the most difficult and stringent licensing requirements of all the states. If for example, you went to Columbia, the supervision hours that you pursue there through the MSW program will not be transferrable to California. You would have to re-do all the required supervised hours again there. Also, considering the costs of an MSW program, then taking advantage of the state-resident tuition fees is a great idea, especially if you can also earn some extra money at your current job during your studies.

What exactly is your motivation for pursuing the MSW/MPH dual degree? That would help clarify where you can fit in best.

Thanks for clarifying and the advice, emoleys. Thanks to both of you for pointing out and explaining the licensing consideration - it is definitely something I will have to look at more closely. Yes, I do hope to eventually pursue a PhD in Public Health, or at least have that as a strong option.

But for the time being, originally, my thought was that I wanted to pursue a track that was both professionally (and personally) rewarding and versatile in public health social work. I wanted to combine the macro and micro in training and framework for managerial/policy positions while also building a social work component so that I would have the option of also perhaps one day having the flexibility of branching off into my own practice. So more heavily focused on the macro for now (but still having some micro component) and then over time eventually switching perhaps to more micro level focused work.

Initially, I had the idea of the MPH/MSW combo worked out and Harvard was not on the list both because of the lack of this combo but also b/c I thought I didn't have a chance to get in. I went to a grad school fair and was floored by the admissions reps and students I met and what I learned about the program from them. I also just was taken in by their warmth (not at all my mental stereotype of "snooty" Ivy league types) and responsiveness both at the fair and afterwards. I also learned more about the program and emailed professors whose work I found interesting and experienced the same. The MPH program is a great one (yes, as is Berkeley and Columbia) and so I thought that I would consider the Phd track if I ever got in which is why I applied.

What I didn't expect was to get in at all of the above schools and that is good and difficult at the same time. One other thing I learned today was that there is a dual degree MPH/MSW program with Harvard and Simmons College - not sure if I would qualify with the track I have chosen though and I think I missed the deadline for Simmons. So checking into that.

Berkeley is perfect in many ways. Professionally, academically, cost wise, (now license-wise) it would be ideal. Personally though, I'm not sure. Having lived in the bay area my entire life and Berkeley for over 10 years ( and having gone to Berkeley as an undergrad), change may be really good for me - even if for a couple of years. This may be a good opportunity for me to finally try living in a different environment and locale - it may be revitalizing. Is this a good enough reason to give up all that I would have in berkeley? I just don't know at this point but the good points you and michigan girl have brought up are really helping me think through this. Of course any more input would be appreciated. thanks again

Thanks for clarifying and the advice, emoleys. Thanks to both of you for pointing out and explaining the licensing consideration - it is definitely something I will have to look at more closely. Yes, I do hope to eventually pursue a PhD in Public Health, or at least have that as a strong option.

But for the time being, originally, my thought was that I wanted to pursue a track that was both professionally (and personally) rewarding and versatile in public health social work. I wanted to combine the macro and micro in training and framework for managerial/policy positions while also building a social work component so that I would have the option of also perhaps one day having the flexibility of branching off into my own practice. So more heavily focused on the macro for now (but still having some micro component) and then over time eventually switching perhaps to more micro level focused work.

Initially, I had the idea of the MPH/MSW combo worked out and Harvard was not on the list both because of the lack of this combo but also b/c I thought I didn't have a chance to get in. I went to a grad school fair and was floored by the admissions reps and students I met and what I learned about the program from them. I also just was taken in by their warmth (not at all my mental stereotype of "snooty" Ivy league types) and responsiveness both at the fair and afterwards. I also learned more about the program and emailed professors whose work I found interesting and experienced the same. The MPH program is a great one (yes, as is Berkeley and Columbia) and so I thought that I would consider the Phd track if I ever got in which is why I applied.

What I didn't expect was to get in at all of the above schools and that is good and difficult at the same time. One other thing I learned today was that there is a dual degree MPH/MSW program with Harvard and Simmons College - not sure if I would qualify with the track I have chosen though and I think I missed the deadline for Simmons. So checking into that.

Berkeley is perfect in many ways. Professionally, academically, cost wise, (now license-wise) it would be ideal. Personally though, I'm not sure. Having lived in the bay area my entire life and Berkeley for over 10 years ( and having gone to Berkeley as an undergrad), change may be really good for me - even if for a couple of years. This may be a good opportunity for me to finally try living in a different environment and locale - it may be revitalizing. Is this a good enough reason to give up all that I would have in berkeley? I just don't know at this point but the good points you and michigan girl have brought up are really helping me think through this. Of course any more input would be appreciated. thanks again

The Harvard program is great, I absolutely agree. I would definitely look into that MSW option with Simmons College, as it sounds like the dual degree option is something that you really are looking for.

In the end, I think that getting your financial aid packages will be crucial to helping you make this decision. Columbia graduate school tends to skimp on their financial aid package, however, you will have to weigh that against the offerings of the programs and what NYC can offer you. I'm not as familiar with UW, so I cannot make any calls on that.

In any case, I'm sure that financially, you'll be better off with a California school, however, Harvard is definitely a great incentive for getting out. It sounds like you are seeking some kind of change, and this very well can be the perfect opportunity to do so.