Knoxville, TN

NewVolunteer

Hi!

I've accepted my offer as a grad student in the Fall 2015 and am in need of some guidance of where to live. I want to live pretty close to campus, within a 20 minute walk preferably, and I want to live in a 3-4 bedroom place that is furnished. I don't want to live in the Fort to avoid the rowdy undergrads. I've heard good things about Downtown and West Knoxville. Does anyone know of some good places?

Do you already have some roommates lined up? Some apartments provide roommate matching.

http://rentutk.com/#search/bedrooms-3/

• 1 year later...

So I'm starting at UTK this fall and I knew nothing about the city and literally had a few hours to find an apartment seeing as I won't be able to get back until August, when move in/classes start. I decided on an apartment in Fort Sanders area because it was the only place that seemed within walking distance to campus. (I'm from a small town, the whole college was about two blocks so you walked literally everywhere) But the more I read about it the more I see that there is more crime in that area and that it is party central for undergraduates. Have I made a huge mistake picking this neighborhood...? I didn't want to deal with driving because ultimately I don't want to have to pay for a parking pass or bus pass. Also, any information about the town in general would be greatly appreciated! I'll pretty much have never explored before I move in. 

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I figured it's been nearly a year since this topic has been active so I would bump it up a bit and get some attention. I will likely be attending the UTK history graduate program this fall and am looking into apartments in the area. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area south of the river, as some of the apartments I have seen are located there. I'd ideally be able to find a place that is close to downtown as well as campus and South Knoxville seems like a good compromise.

In terms of the city overall, I was wondering how much it feels like a college town. Are there any other cities you would compare it to? From what I can tell it's bigger and less college-centered than other SEC schools (thinking about Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Athens, etc) but isn't quite a major metro. I'll be moving from a big city and am not exactly looking forward to jumping all the way back to a small town. So any info on the urban aspects of living in Knoxville would be greatly appreciated.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Antebellum said:

Hi all, I figured it's been nearly a year since this topic has been active so I would bump it up a bit and get some attention. I will likely be attending the UTK history graduate program this fall and am looking into apartments in the area. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area south of the river, as some of the apartments I have seen are located there. I'd ideally be able to find a place that is close to downtown as well as campus and South Knoxville seems like a good compromise.

In terms of the city overall, I was wondering how much it feels like a college town. Are there any other cities you would compare it to? From what I can tell it's bigger and less college-centered than other SEC schools (thinking about Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Athens, etc) but isn't quite a major metro. I'll be moving from a big city and am not exactly looking forward to jumping all the way back to a small town. So any info on the urban aspects of living in Knoxville would be greatly appreciated.

I've lived in Knoxville the past 5 years (did my undergrad at UT and am now working here), and I've lived in South Knox for 4 of those 5 years. I've loved living there and would definitely advise you to look at places in that areas. My place is 5 minutes from downtown and just under 10 to campus. South Knoxville is also starting to become much more popular right now (*cough cough gentrifying) so there's a bunch of new breweries, coffee places, and shops popping up in that area as well. You'd also be close to a lot of great parks and greenways (Ijams, Forks of the River). South Knox is also going to be a lot more affordable than looking at areas closer to campus (Fort Sanders) or out in West Knoxville. I'm living in a house right now with 3 roommates and my share of the rent is only $275 so there's some great deals to be found. 

You'll definitely know when it's game day, but there's much more to Knoxville than the university so you're right about it being less of a college town. I lived in Nashville before living here, and I much prefer Knoxville (as do most people I talk to). It's obviously not a big city, but it's not a small town feel either. I'm having a hard time thinking of cities that I'd compare it to, especially since I don't know what cities you are familiar with, but off the top of my head Boulder, CO reminded me a lot of Knoxville. And my roommate recently came back from a trip to Baton Rouge and said it had a similar feel. Market Square is the main "downtown" area. Then there's also the Old City and if craft beer is at all your scene, you'll want to spend a frequent amount of time in North Knoxville as well. Knoxville is really quite spread out with lots to do, and there's plenty to do in the surrounding areas as well (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Smoky Mountains). 

Let me know if you have any questions or want my opinions on particular apartments you've been looking at. I'm familiar with most of the major apartment complexes in the area. And for anybody moving to Knoxville, I could not say enough good things about it! It took me a while when I first moved here to warm up to it because it's not always obvious at first how much there is to do. But I quickly grew to love it and am going to be super sad to be leaving in August. 

Edited by a little-stitious

• 9 months later...
On 2/2/2018 at 10:13 PM, kpietromica said:

Considering Knoxville for PhD. I have a family with three young kids. Can anyone speak to family housing, childcare, or public schools?

Knoxville and the surrounding areas are generally family friendly. Should be able to find a house or apartment for rent fairly affordably depending on the area you plan to live. I would think renting a house in West Knoxville would be more expensive than other areas, but that's where the better public schools are.

You might also consider a few cities right outside of Knoxville like Oak Ridge (excellent public schools and lots of outdoor activities) although housing can be limited depending on what you are looking for. Oak Ridge is about a 20-30 minute drive to campus. Several daycare options for younger kids including a new 24-hour facility that recently opened.

Maryville might also be a good possibility. Great public schools. I'm not as familiar with the housing or daycare options in the city, but it's also about a 20-30 minute drive to campus.  

Hi all, I will be attending UTK for a PhD in Geography beginning in August.

I've begun to look at housing options and I am keen on the downtown area (but also open to other neighborhoods.) What should I expect in terms of pricing for a studio/1 BD/2 BD? Would anyone have any other recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to be in a place that's conducive to walking, has a sense of 'community,' and is also accessible to campus - especially the Burchfiel Geography building. I would also appreciate any tips or information that you could provide me! 

Anyone else also coming down to Knoxville for the first time? Any townies looking to befriend a newbie from the northeast? Feel free to reach out to me!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hello!  I'll be moving to Knoxville to begin a master's program at UT in August and would love some tips on where to look for a good apartment.  South Knox I've heard is good.  Are there certain property management companies to avoid?  I'm looking for a place that will be decently close to the city's cultural hubs, yet also someplace that I'll feel safe walking around at night.  Where do I start?

3 hours ago, eastbound555 said:

Hello!  I'll be moving to Knoxville to begin a master's program at UT in August and would love some tips on where to look for a good apartment.  South Knox I've heard is good.  Are there certain property management companies to avoid?  I'm looking for a place that will be decently close to the city's cultural hubs, yet also someplace that I'll feel safe walking around at night.  Where do I start?

Hey hey @eastbound555. You the one doing the creative writing MFA? Cool, I'm doing the LCTS MA. 

I've lived in Knoxville all my life. If you can find a doable rent in West Knoxville, specifically the Bearden/West Hills areas, that's what you want. Across the river (South Knox) is, as you say, pretty good. "The Fort"---very close to campus, near the strip---is...fine. It'll be more expensive, but about the worst thing you'll have to worry about is drunken frat guys wandering around and being loud in the Fall. 

That's about all I can think of right now. Hit me up if you've got other questions.

• 7 months later...

hey all! 

i wanted to get the opinions of people who have lived in Knoxville/Tennessee/the South/Midwest (see i don’t even know what category Tennessee falls under haha) about my situation because i am feeling kind of conflicted. 

a little bit about me: i am an asian, non-binary individual who at times presents in a “gender non conforming” way. i grew up in California and did my undergrad in California. however, i have experience living in/traveling to other states and have spent 2 summers in Austin, Texas and have briefly been in different states like Iowa, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Georgia. i liked my time in all of these locations.

i wanted to ask if y’all think that someone with my background would have a hard time liking/adjusting to life in Tennessee. i do recognize the importance of dialogue and meeting people where they are at, but some of my friends have told me the first question you get asked in red states is what church you attend. i also have fairly “radical” and far left political views so i wonder if that will be an area of contention when it comes to interacting with peers/students/the general population. Also, I don’t have a car and folks have told me getting around in some states like Tennessee is hard without one, and I just wanted to confirm that. 

i know i sound completely ignorant of how living in Tennessee must be, so I’d really appreciate anyone’s perspective for someone who has lived there before! I say this all because I am applying to UTK and their program sounds like an amazing fit, but it is the city and state itself I am worried about. 

Edited by sassyyetclassy

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 1:30 AM, sassyyetclassy said:

hey all! 

i wanted to get the opinions of people who have lived in Knoxville/Tennessee/the South/Midwest (see i don’t even know what category Tennessee falls under haha) about my situation because i am feeling kind of conflicted. 

a little bit about me: i am an asian, non-binary individual who at times presents in a “gender non conforming” way. i grew up in California and did my undergrad in California. however, i have experience living in/traveling to other states and have spent 2 summers in Austin, Texas and have briefly been in different states like Iowa, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Georgia. i liked my time in all of these locations.

i wanted to ask if y’all think that someone with my background would have a hard time liking/adjusting to life in Tennessee. i do recognize the importance of dialogue and meeting people where they are at, but some of my friends have told me the first question you get asked in red states is what church you attend. i also have fairly “radical” and far left political views so i wonder if that will be an area of contention when it comes to interacting with peers/students/the general population. Also, I don’t have a car and folks have told me getting around in some states like Tennessee is hard without one, and I just wanted to confirm that. 

i know i sound completely ignorant of how living in Tennessee must be, so I’d really appreciate anyone’s perspective for someone who has lived there before! I say this all because I am applying to UTK and their program sounds like an amazing fit, but it is the city and state itself I am worried about. 

I've been to Knoxville a number of times, so here is my perspective on the times I have been, as well as  the couple people I know who went to UTK.

I think within the general population you may feel a little out of place in Knoxville, compared to other cities in TN (i.e nashville and Chattanooga) I feel like Knoxville is a little behind the times and more "country".  Lots of giant pick up trucks full of avid football fans racing down the highway at 95mph.  That being said, the area around UTK and downtown is a pretty different demographic and I have heard all positive things about the community at UTK. When I have stayed downtown people are very friendly, there are a lot of breweries and little restaurants. I've heard the student population at UTK is more liberal leaning, and UTK has so many excellent grad programs that it draws students from all over.  I grew up in a red state, and only got the "where do you go to church" question when I moved out to a rural area; I don't think you will encounter that much someplace like Knoxville (but I do think you will find the large majority of the population does attend church).  I do think getting around Knoxville would be tough without a car :(

Nearby there is great hiking and you are near some beautiful mountains!  You can get to Asheville and Chattanooga in under 2 hours, and Nashville in like 2.5; so some good places to explore.  Knoxville def isn't my favorite TN city, but it has some positive points and if the program is something you are interested in, I think it would be worth applying!! 

5 hours ago, liznlex said:

I've been to Knoxville a number of times, so here is my perspective on the times I have been, as well as  the couple people I know who went to UTK.

I think within the general population you may feel a little out of place in Knoxville, compared to other cities in TN (i.e nashville and Chattanooga) I feel like Knoxville is a little behind the times and more "country".  Lots of giant pick up trucks full of avid football fans racing down the highway at 95mph.  That being said, the area around UTK and downtown is a pretty different demographic and I have heard all positive things about the community at UTK. When I have stayed downtown people are very friendly, there are a lot of breweries and little restaurants. I've heard the student population at UTK is more liberal leaning, and UTK has so many excellent grad programs that it draws students from all over.  I grew up in a red state, and only got the "where do you go to church" question when I moved out to a rural area; I don't think you will encounter that much someplace like Knoxville (but I do think you will find the large majority of the population does attend church).  I do think getting around Knoxville would be tough without a car :(

Nearby there is great hiking and you are near some beautiful mountains!  You can get to Asheville and Chattanooga in under 2 hours, and Nashville in like 2.5; so some good places to explore.  Knoxville def isn't my favorite TN city, but it has some positive points and if the program is something you are interested in, I think it would be worth applying!! 

thank you so much!! this is really useful advice for me and i truly appreciate you taking time to type all of this and share your experiences!!