How did you try to improve you application?

Kitkat

So everyone knows to try to have the best GPA, GRE, SOPs/Personal statements and recs possible, when trying to be competitive when applying to grad school. That is a given. But it is also true that those are not the only necessary things that adcomms are looking at your application. Everyone has heard stories of how some one without the best numbers did something(be it research, publications, anything along those lines) that helped convince a school to let them in, and I was wondering if there are any cases of that recently, or if you are doing something now, that you hope will help you get into grad school.

My case is I have middle of the road numbers, lower end for the better schools, but not impossible. What I am hoping will help me is the research that I am working on. I am hoping to get a poster in for AGU this fall(big confrence for geo people), about the same time I'm applying to grad school, as well as being a published author not long after that.

You'll hear time and time again that "fit" with current research at your prospective schools is the most important thing that will set you apart. in addition to fit, you'll want to check with prospective faculty you'd like to work with to see if they anticipate bringing on new advisees--you may be a perfect fit, but if their lab is full, they may not be able to accept you. In the months before I applied, I reached out to a number of faculty members in prospective programs--if they never replied, I didn't apply to their program. I kept in touch with three---and was accepted by each of their programs. I did apply to one school without contacting any faculty members (but it turns out that it is the one school that hasn't gotten back to me....considering that a round of acceptances have gone out and that those applicants will be on campus for a visit next week, I'm assuming I've been rejected or waitlisted there).

I guess my case was the reverse of yours. I have a pretty good transcript and GRE stats, but I had been out of school for a few years and had limited research experience. To compensate, what I did was to read as much literature as I could so that I was able to develop specific foci (?) in my area. That helped me to find schools and POIs that would be pretty good fits with what I wanted to do. I contacted a few prior to application to make sure that they had space(s) available and I made sure to emphasis my interests and how I would fit at each school in my SoPs. I also tailored my SoPs to each school and focused as much as possible on my research interests - what they are, and what I would like to work on in grad school; how my background prepared me for pursuing my interest in grad school; and how my interests fit in with each of the schools I applied to.

I agree with @XOwlfan. Fit seems to be very important. You could have a high GPA or %, good GRE, etc but if professers don't want to supervise your work they will reject you. I didn't reach out to faculty members (maybe I should have :o ) but that seems to be a good way to figure out if you're a good fit for the program.

High test scores don't always equate to good research. My grades aren't stellar but I do make the cut. I made sure to research a possible POI and mention them in my SOP. That way they know who I want to work with.

I hope this reply helps. It sounds like you have a good chance of getting into your top choice. Don't worry about the numbers. The results board proves that high numbers don't always get you in.

As the Political Science adcomm folks posted a while back in that subforum, one thing that really makes a candidate stand out is how well they know what the adcomms are looking for. If it is a choice between someone who is brilliant and accomplished and who doesn't quite know how to sell themselves in the SOP, and someone who is brilliant and accomplished and who does know, that makes a big difference. So you definitely need to ask lots and lots of people in your field, hopefully people who serve on admissions committees, to read over SOPS and personal statements.

Keeping a foot in academic work if you take a year or a decade off is a good choice - try to publish the undergrad thesis, ask former professors to supervise research projects, or look for opportunities in the general community for work that could be tied back to research interests. For example, I did an archival project in an academic library last summer, and a friend of mine is doing an internship organizing oral histories from a particular town. Local governments regularly need interns (or local NGOs need volunteers) to do things like aid in invasive species control or after school educational programs. Meaningful volunteer projects can be important to show your commitment to your interests.

You'll hear time and time again that "fit" with current research at your prospective schools is the most important thing that will set you apart. in addition to fit, you'll want to check with prospective faculty you'd like to work with to see if they anticipate bringing on new advisees--you may be a perfect fit, but if their lab is full, they may not be able to accept you. In the months before I applied, I reached out to a number of faculty members in prospective programs--if they never replied, I didn't apply to their program. I kept in touch with three---and was accepted by each of their programs. I did apply to one school without contacting any faculty members (but it turns out that it is the one school that hasn't gotten back to me....considering that a round of acceptances have gone out and that those applicants will be on campus for a visit next week, I'm assuming I've been rejected or waitlisted there).

I guess what I am wondering if there is anything that you think would help you prove that you would be a good fit for the group that you are looking at. Fit in the program, and with advisers is always important to prove, and important to do so in the space given in SOP's and the like, but how are people going about doing so? Other then saying so, I get this feeling like many programs like to see something to back it up. Not that it is impossible to do so without something.

I guess what I am wondering if there is anything that you think would help you prove that you would be a good fit for the group that you are looking at. Fit in the program, and with advisers is always important to prove, and important to do so in the space given in SOP's and the like, but how are people going about doing so? Other then saying so, I get this feeling like many programs like to see something to back it up. Not that it is impossible to do so without something.

I read papers of the POIs I was interested in working with and said things like "XYZ's research in ABC would be informative as I investigate QRS."

I know that fit and SOP are some of the huge things, but getting outstanding LOR really are too. One of my friends got rejected from his top program, and when he asked why he was told it was because his LOR weren't that great. He had a great GPR (well above their minimum), was told he was a good fit, and had a rockin' SOP but since he wasn't as highly recommended as other applicants, he was rejected. He was told by his POI that they couldn't take any chances in selecting grad students.

So, I know it's one of those parts of your applications that's totally out of your control, but make sure you can get some really fabulous recs by people!

It's not just a matter of outstanding LORs (though those are essential). An outstanding LOR from someone known by the admissions committee (and/or by your POI) is even better.

Given the choice between "outstanding" or "known to the committee," you'd want to go with the former, but if you can get both it will give you a big boost.

Bringing your own funding (for example, because you won a fellowship that pays tuition + stipend), is helpful. If the program doesn't have to worry about funding you, they have less reason not to take you.

I was lucky enough to be accepted this year and have some positive responses from schools. But I'm probably going to end up with 8 or 9 rejections also. It seemed like every rejection I received was from a school that I didn't have a great fit or perfect research match. A sub 1200 GRE didn't help I'm sure, but really, it's all about the research match and fit!

A sub 1200 GRE didn't help I'm sure, but really, it's all about the research match and fit!

In addition to good grades and GRE scores, though. Research match and fit is what then sets you apart from other candidates who have made it through that first hoop.

i had a lower undergrad GPA, so I think that taking post-grad courses through an extension school during the time I've been working since college really helped me as I had a 3.67 for those courses. I think it's definitely a good way to show you're serious and can excel despite a lower undergrad GPA.

I'm wondering the same thing- I was able to get through the adcomm in many cases this year, but can't find an advisor- in some cases they said they rejected me b/c I wasn't a good fit. my undergrad research is in a different area than what I'm trying to do for grad school (both in ecology, though); do I need to get experience in the specific field I'm interested in for grad school? get a MS with research and courses in that field? how do I make myself a fit? or is the problem that I come up with my own research ideas instead of saying i want to do exactly what my POIs do?

I'm wondering the same thing- I was able to get through the adcomm in many cases this year, but can't find an advisor- in some cases they said they rejected me b/c I wasn't a good fit. my undergrad research is in a different area than what I'm trying to do for grad school (both in ecology, though); do I need to get experience in the specific field I'm interested in for grad school? get a MS with research and courses in that field? how do I make myself a fit? or is the problem that I come up with my own research ideas instead of saying i want to do exactly what my POIs do?

That is similar to the situation that I am in. I am getting ready to apply to schools this fall and I know that fit is important. But the research I am doing currently is close to the field I want to go in, but is not the field itself. I am still waiting to hear back from other places for this summer, in the field I am interested in, that I could use as a better example for fit, but it is not definite. So if that does not work out, I still have the issue of demonstrating how I would fit well into a lab or department, based on my interests, and experience in a lab in a different field( I am currently in paloeclimatolgy, I want to go more into paleobiology/biostratigraphy). So I am hoping other people have advice on how they went about switching from one subfield into another, when you are trying to go into grad school. Part of my problem is that there is currently no one at my school who is working on something closer to what I want to do in grad school. And it's not that what I am doing is uninteresting, its just not something i see myself doing for the next 5 or 6 year, let alone the rest of my life.

• 1 month later...

As another thing, what I am wondering is how well did you specify in your SoP what exactly you wanted to study and why you knew what you wanted to study? Also, did you specifically name any PI's who's lab that you were specifically interested in working in? I have heard of cases where this helps when applying to grad schools, that it shows how focused you are, and that you really do know what you want, and that you are applying to that school for a good reason. I think that what they are looking for is that you are wanting to do something that is similar enough to what the POI's are doing that it would actually work well with them, and help them long term as well.

Anybody else have more good advice for proving yourself to adcomms?

As another thing, what I am wondering is how well did you specify in your SoP what exactly you wanted to study and why you knew what you wanted to study? Also, did you specifically name any PI's who's lab that you were specifically interested in working in? I have heard of cases where this helps when applying to grad schools, that it shows how focused you are, and that you really do know what you want, and that you are applying to that school for a good reason. I think that what they are looking for is that you are wanting to do something that is similar enough to what the POI's are doing that it would actually work well with them, and help them long term as well.

Anybody else have more good advice for proving yourself to adcomms?

For my SoP I started with how I got to where I am, told them why I want to go to grad school and tied it all up with why I specifically chose their school. In the part about why I want to go to grad school I spelled out my research interests. In the section about why that particular program, I explained why I was a good fit and if there was a professor I wanted to work with, I named him or her. With that format, I found it easy to fit all of that information in.

Any other advice to impress adcoms? I have no idea. Having gone through this process all I can say is good luck. Choose the programs you apply to wisely, because fit is very important.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am thinking about volunteering at one of the museums that is associated with the schools that I am applying to. Considering that what I want to do in the future at this point in time is to end up doing is research in a museum. I am applying this fall, but want to do this just for the experience. Do people think that this is a good idea or a bad idea?

Right now I am thinking about volunteering at one of the museums that is associated with the schools that I am applying to. Considering that what I want to do in the future at this point in time is to end up doing is research in a museum. I am applying this fall, but want to do this just for the experience. Do people think that this is a good idea or a bad idea?

Hi Kitkat, I'm guessing it really depends on what it is that you would be doing while you're volunteering. If you would be doing things that are related to research, then I'd imagine that it would help your application quite a bit, if you'd be doing things like tour leading then I don't know how much it would help your application. In either case though, you'd get a hands on experience in an environment that you'd like to work in at some point, so that would likely be a plus for you personally and professionally.

Hi Kitkat, I'm guessing it really depends on what it is that you would be doing while you're volunteering. If you would be doing things that are related to research, then I'd imagine that it would help your application quite a bit, if you'd be doing things like tour leading then I don't know how much it would help your application. In either case though, you'd get a hands on experience in an environment that you'd like to work in at some point, so that would likely be a plus for you personally and professionally.

I'm going to be trying to work in the department that I would hopefully be working in if I get into for the Ph.D. program. The nice thing about the volunteer program is that you can request to work behind the scenes at the museum. So defiinately more research related then giving tours.

I'm going to be trying to work in the department that I would hopefully be working in if I get into for the Ph.D. program. The nice thing about the volunteer program is that you can request to work behind the scenes at the museum. So defiinately more research related then giving tours.

That sounds good then to me. I'm not in your field so maybe someone in your field could give advice as to how much it would help your application.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess what else I am looking for on this one is, how did people know what they wanted to do in graduate school, and have that show through on their applications. What experiences did you have that you were able to talk about in your SoP/CV whatever that you think helped/will help convince addcomms and labs that you are a good fit for them?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that an important element is demonstrating commitment and flexibility at the same time, with regard to your interests. You want to show that you are fascinated by a particular topic of research, but you don't want to create the impression that you are only interested in one fixed topic and one approach. In my statements of purpose I tried demonstrating that by first outlining my general interests, then giving specific examples of how I might want to approach those interests as a PhD student. I think this helped me show that I have developed and well-considered research ideas, but am willing to experiment with them and approach them from perspectives I have not yet considered. As I see it, this approach made me sound driven and confident without sounding like a know-it-all, which I know a lot of people are concerned about when writing about themselves. I have also tried to improve my CV by submitting abstracts for talks and journals, but I have passed up some opportunities so that they wouldn't interfere with my current coursework. If you are still a student, I suggest putting the bulk of your energy into your existing coursework and required projects, rather than losing focus by trying to add flare to your application. You can always add extra things to your CV in the future, but you can't go back and re-take courses or improve your GPA. Besides, if you really apply yourself in your courses, hopefully you can produce a piece of writing that is good enough to submit for publication - and then you're killing those two birds with one stone.

I'm wondering this myself for the next go-round. My undergrad research experience was totally irrelevant (or nearly so) to my interests. In fact, it made me realize that I didn't want to go to grad school for chemistry. I think this hurt me going into a field that's more biologically oriented. I've been accepted into an MS program, and while the program (only one in the state) is in my field, no one's doing anything that is directly relevant to my PhD-related interests. I don't know if it'll help ("Yes, I've done work in this field. I did X, and I'd like to do Y now") or hurt ("You clearly have no clue what you want to do, or you are really bad at picking your program" or "Uh, we don't do that, and that thesis means nothing in the context of what you want to do"). The other thing that really concerns me this time around is publication/presentation opportunities--it's not a Research I school by any stretch of the imagination, but it has ties to DoD-funded research...which then adds another layer of, uh, fun to all this.

I've gotten different senses of how firmly places want your research interests lined up--some seem okay with a fairly general approach, and others seem to want you to have this locked into place from the get-go. And these were all places (between me and my friend who applied in a related field) where you had to do lab rotations first.