PennGSE vs Teachers College, Columbia

inthelight

Majoring in International Educational Development, Masters degree.

I am in serious, VERY serious dilemma between PennGSE and Teachers College.

PennGSE offered me $5,000 of scholarship and for TC, there is absolutely no funding for Masters students, I heard.

I know TC is a better ranked school than PennGSE for graduate school of education and has better reputation but is it really a big difference? Penn's International Educational Development is a start-up program from this Fall. I believe this could be bad and good at the same time. I am just not sure if TC is worth of spending that much money living in NYC.

And does it give better opportunities for getting jobs and internships if I stay in TC?

Any advise/tip that you can give me on this tough decision? I really need HELP!!!!!!

Which school would you choose if you are in my situation?

NYC and Philly aren't that much more expensive to live in when compared to each other. So either way you're rent will be ridiculous. If you're doing anything International you're always much better off at Columbia since it has a more established rep. and better name recognition.

Also every masters student at Penn GSE gets a 5k scholarship, it's not special and will not have a large impact on the amount of debt you'll have in the long run by any means. So if you're taking on debt I would go with the safe bet which is Columbia...and congrats on getting in!

I can only offer thoughts on PennGSE, since I did not apply to or have any interest in Columbia due to location. I visited PennGSE a week or so ago, and I can say that the faculty and staff (and students) were all super nice. I will most likely accept an offer at a state school to avoid relocation and debt (and to be closer to DC, in hopes of doing policy research & stats someday), but I feel pretty sad about declining the offer, since they have been very complimentary and accommodating.

One difference about PennGSE that was mentioned during the visit is that their different ed. programs are largely integrated. I don't know if I will describe this correctly, but basically they tried to convey that they encourage collaboration between the different GSE programs, and Penn itself strongly encourages collaboration between schools. (Anyone else more familiar with the idea, feel free to correct my explanation.) I imagine this has positive and negatives, depending on what you're looking for.

Regarding the PennGSE scholarship comment made by livmoredyles, it was mentioned at the visit day that offers can be up to $15K. Even $15K doesn't come close to helping defray the cost of attending, but every little bit helps. Perhaps you can ask for more, if it will impact your decision in Penn's direction?

I have some friends at Penn and have done some research myself, and you can find very decent rent if you are willing to share a place and walk more than 6-7 blocks to campus. Note that the GSE building is toward the west end of campus, so if you find something 7 blocks out on the west side, the walk is not going to kill you. Just beware of the rougher neighborhoods as you get closer to Market St. - within a block or two. Also, FYI the gym is basically across the street from the GSE building.

That's about it! Good luck deciding!!

Majoring in International Educational Development, Masters degree.

I am in serious, VERY serious dilemma between PennGSE and Teachers College.

PennGSE offered me $5,000 of scholarship and for TC, there is absolutely no funding for Masters students, I heard.

I know TC is a better ranked school than PennGSE for graduate school of education and has better reputation but is it really a big difference? Penn's International Educational Development is a start-up program from this Fall. I believe this could be bad and good at the same time. I am just not sure if TC is worth of spending that much money living in NYC.

And does it give better opportunities for getting jobs and internships if I stay in TC?

Any advise/tip that you can give me on this tough decision? I really need HELP!!!!!!

Which school would you choose if you are in my situation?

My sister attended Teacher's College for a MFA in Music Education--has nothing but great things to say about the program!

I can tell you for sure that we did not pay a dime out of pocket for her education--however, I know that she did receive scholarship and a grant which largely covered her education. So, I don't think there is no money at all...if that is any comfort. I would wait and see what fin aid office can put together (if you have not already).

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use