Harris Decisions

madman

How did they notify you? Was it via e-mail or post (snail mail). Congratulations on the admit.....

I heard from Harris about 9 hours back!!! also got some $$!!

now in a dilemma which is better Harris v. Heinz v. SIPA. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Even I heard from Harris yesterday via e-mail. I have been accepted with some scholarship and this is my first admit! I am so glad to receive the offer.

Anyone around willing to put in their thoughts about Harris?

Hi,

Even I heard from Harris yesterday via e-mail. I have been accepted with some scholarship and this is my first admit! I am so glad to receive the offer.

Anyone around willing to put in their thoughts about Harris?

Hello folks. Congratulations on the admits, and my apologies for suggesting in a post yesterday that the (at the time sole) reported Harris admit might not be legitimate. They came unusually early this year, and not in accordance with past patterns of frequency (also, there are a lot of 'fake' posts on the results page).

The following is a post I offered last year in response to a question about Harris vs. Michigan-Ford. It outlines some of what I consider distinctive about Harris.

I seriously considered Heinz and Ford, but not SIPA (SIPA was not considered mainly because of its rather stingy funding policies). All are good programs, and I would suggest that the main considerations be fit and funding.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Harris.

Current Harris student here.

I faced the same choice last year, so I will enumerate what I see as the main differences between the two programs. I am reasonably familiar with Ford since I gave it a close look before choosing Harris, but inquiries regarding Ford are best directed toward current Ford students. That said, here are my basic impressions:

1. I think the emphasis on economics (and, more generally, "rational choice" models within the broader political economy sphere) is stronger at Harris. This comes, perhaps (but not necessarily), at the expense of other characteristics. Ford struck me as a school that tries to balance economic/quantitative training with a more traditional "public administration/management" curriculum. You can obtain some of the latter at Harris through course offerings in other departments (Business school and perhaps Social Service Administration), but you can also avoid it if you prefer. What you cannot avoid, however, are healthy doses of economics and statistics (2 quarters' worth apiece) and political economy (a 3-quarter sequence), all required.

2. The political economy sequence at Chicago is distinctive (I did not see a counterpart at any of the policy programs I looked at), and I think is a major strength of the program at Harris. If any students are interested in the particulars of this sequence, feel free to PM me. This sequence, in conjunction with the economic theory requirements, lays a strong conceptual foundation for the policy field courses.

3. The quarter system at Chicago versus the semester system at Michigan. The quarter system means that you take 18 courses over 2 years, instead of 12. Once the core requirements are met (7 courses worth), this gives an enormous amount of latitude to take other courses of interest throughout the university. Apart from the 7 core courses, you take a minimum of 5 courses at the Harris School and up to 6 courses in other departments (most frequently in the Law School, Business School, and economics and political science departments). To cite one example, several of my classmates are taking Gary Becker's course on Human Capital in the upcoming term (I am thinking about it).

I hope this is helpful. As noted above, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Congrats!! For those who heard back, did your online app get updated as well (with your admit status)?

Hi Letsjustgo,

The online status was not updated. I received an email regarding the offer and am expecting the same via post too.

Havnt heard anything from Harris, im going crazy.

Harris grad here. I know it is very difficult, but I wouldn't read anything into this as yet. The Harris Admissions department is understaffed, and the fact that so few decisions have been posted suggests to me that there are many, many admissions yet to come.

Good luck.

Anyone hear anything else from Harris?

It seems like mostly everyone found out within a period of two days over the past few admissions cycles right around the 16th-18th, so this initial batch earlier is a change.

I'm wondering if they notified everyone with funding already. It looks like they notified those funded first last year.

I'm wondering if maybe they let the international students know first to give them more time. For those accepted, did they mention a campus visit date?

The campus visit dates are April 8-9, according to the Harris website.

http://harrisschool.uchicago.edu/students/new-students/onthemapp.asp

The pattern of releasing decisions this year is very different from in years past. An email to Maggie DeCarlo might help clarify the timetable for decisions.