Hopkins SAIS

indyir

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to regret not having applied to more schools at this point... Can't dwell can't dwell can't dwell!!

When I was working on my applications, one of the better pieces of advice I read was "don't apply to a school unless you know you'd enroll if accepted." Yes, applying to a "safety" makes sense, but only if you'd be excited about going there if that's the only acceptance you receive.

I ended up applying to 3 MA programs and 3 MBA programs (hoping for a dual degree - fingers crossed). Between the GMAT, the LORs, and the essays, I'd say the business school applications were at least 5x more time intensive (and expensive!) for me than the MA program applications - but that's also because I was more familiar with what MA programs were looking for in an applicant. I was practically a shell of a person during December/January, so I don't think I could have possibly put together another quality app.

Of course if I get a bunch of dings over the next two weeks I may be singing a different tune ;) But there's always next year right?

When I was working on my applications, one of the better pieces of advice I read was "don't apply to a school unless you know you'd enroll if accepted." Yes, applying to a "safety" makes sense, but only if you'd be excited about going there if that's the only acceptance you receive.

I ended up applying to 3 MA programs and 3 MBA programs (hoping for a dual degree - fingers crossed). Between the GMAT, the LORs, and the essays, I'd say the business school applications were at least 5x more time intensive (and expensive!) for me than the MA program applications - but that's also because I was more familiar with what MA programs were looking for in an applicant. I was practically a shell of a person during December/January, so I don't think I could have possibly put together another quality app.

Of course if I get a bunch of dings over the next two weeks I may be singing a different tune ;) But there's always next year right?

You're completely right. I got rejected from Elliott and I'm taking it kind of hard. I didn't tell anyone yesterday even when my family asked if I'd heard anything back (bc I had a glum face). It's like saying it out loud makes it real, and I don't want to hear all the "it's okays" and all the rationalizing of why I didn't get in. In any case, these are good life lessons, right? It teaches you resilience and how to overcome rejection. You grow thicker skin.

I suppose we'll see what SAIS has to say, but I feel the need to protect myself against disappointment by not expecting anything.

Any baseful or baseless speculations as to when we'll hear back this week?

Just to increase tension, I have just noticed that last year, on March 15, several people have randomly checked the application web-site and found their letter, without recieving an e-mail. So other than keeping inboxes open, application website will be checked once in every 10 minutes. Please put an end to this misery asap :)

Just to increase tension, I have just noticed that last year, on March 15, several people have randomly checked the application web-site and found their letter, without recieving an e-mail. So other than keeping inboxes open, application website will be checked once in every 10 minutes. Please put an end to this misery asap :)

Oh I've definitely been keeping that base covered. I'm hoping to hear back from 3 programs by tomorrow evening and I am completely incapable of productivity. I check these forums, I check the results page, I check my email, I check the application sites. Then I try to be productive for 10 minutes. Then I check everything again. (Yes I'm aware this isn't healthy or logical)

Seriously SAIS, website, facebook, twitter? You can't give us any info?

Oh I've definitely been keeping that base covered. I'm hoping to hear back from 3 programs by tomorrow evening and I am completely incapable of productivity. I check these forums, I check the results page, I check my email, I check the application sites. Then I try to be productive for 10 minutes. Then I check everything again. (Yes I'm aware this isn't healthy or logical)

Seriously SAIS, website, facebook, twitter? You can't give us any info?

Hhahaa SarahL I'm doing exactly the same thing... email, forum, results...and when I leave my office I'm doing the same routine on my phone, even as I walk around in grocery stores...

To make your lives (and mine) a little easier, I just called the SAIS office and was told the decisions will be released "late March." I asked her again if that meant it wasn't going to be this week, and she said, it probably will not be this week...

more waiting - *yay*

Hhahaa SarahL I'm doing exactly the same thing... email, forum, results...and when I leave my office I'm doing the same routine on my phone, even as I walk around in grocery stores...

To make your lives (and mine) a little easier, I just called the SAIS office and was told the decisions will be released "late March." I asked her again if that meant it wasn't going to be this week, and she said, it probably will not be this week...

more waiting - *yay*

That's crazy talk!

edited to add: thanks for calling.

Edited by SarahL

Thanks from me too. As much as I don't warm to the idea of another week of waiting, it is helpful to at least have a better idea.

I'm intrigued by the differences in admissions information released from different universities. E.g. compare SIPA and SAIS.

more waiting - *yay*

I checked SAIS's website on a whim and there it was! The decision! Unfortunately, they decided to admit me for Jan. 2012 rather than waitlist me... I guess funding is out of the question! What I want to know is whether I can be de-springified (admitted for the fall). Oh well... better than a rejection or a stick in the eye, right?

I checked SAIS's website on a whim and there it was! The decision! Unfortunately, they decided to admit me for Jan. 2012 rather than waitlist me... I guess funding is out of the question! What I want to know is whether I can be de-springified (admitted for the fall). Oh well... better than a rejection or a stick in the eye, right?

Oh my gosh, I'm in too! So much for "late March"!

The letter indicates that they will release funding info by the end of the week.

OMG YOU"RE RIGHT IT"S ONLINE!

I didn't get into IDEV, my first choice, but it says I can choose among any of the other concentrations.

Did anyone get funding? There was nothing in the letter about it, besides fafsa need-based scholarships.

Ahh! Thanks for the heads up. I just checked at and I got in as well. I'm assuming that if it didn't mention funding in the letter then none was offered?

I didn't get into IDEV, my first choice, but it says I can choose among any of the other concentrations.

Did anyone get funding? There was nothing in the letter about it, besides fafsa need-based scholarships.

Same for me about IDEV, but I'm not broken up about it. I knew a few students who transferred into the program while they were studying at SAIS (they had to write some sort of proposal), and that was back when Fukuyama was there so demand was really high.

I'm not sure about the extent to which the need-based scholarships are separate from other "financial awards". But I guess we'll know that soon enough.

Congrats!

In, conditionally on completing Macroeconomics! Congrats to all!

No one seems to have had a mention of funding so far besides seeing the 'if you sent the FAFSA in before/after this date we'll have it sooner/later' right?

Edited by mcgov36

Whew, just got in. My acceptance email didn't mention my requested concentration (Canadian Studies).

The letter only mentions concentration if you applied for IDEV (it's the only one that requires a specific acceptance).

Rest assured that despite the tremendous competition, there is room for all of you to study Canada at SAIS wink.gif

Congrats!