Hopkins SAIS

indyir

Ok I was admitted to SAIS but am really struggling with my decision. I am not entirely sure why I got in (only two econ courses, not very impressive GRE quant score, no future career focus in economics or financial analysis). Is there anyone on this thread that is choosing SAIS who wants to go into human rights policy/law, development, human security?? I think I might fit better at Fletcher (also in at Maxwell and Ford School), but DC is a good place to be and my husband has a great job offer there. I know I wouldn't be settling for SAIS, but I am just not sure about the strict program requirements. I still think I need time to explore different classes and areas of interest. Instead, SAIS seems to tie me into a course load that offers little flexibility. Is SAIS worth it, even if I feel I fet a bit better in other programs? Will I even survive the econ?

Can someone tell me more on additional funding opportunities. My SO has got a tuition waiver, but he is questioning on how to pay the living expenses, etc.

Bologna , anyone?

Ok I was admitted to SAIS but am really struggling with my decision. I am not entirely sure why I got in (only two econ courses, not very impressive GRE quant score, no future career focus in economics or financial analysis). Is there anyone on this thread that is choosing SAIS who wants to go into human rights policy/law, development, human security?? I think I might fit better at Fletcher (also in at Maxwell and Ford School), but DC is a good place to be and my husband has a great job offer there. I know I wouldn't be settling for SAIS, but I am just not sure about the strict program requirements. I still think I need time to explore different classes and areas of interest. Instead, SAIS seems to tie me into a course load that offers little flexibility. Is SAIS worth it, even if I feel I fet a bit better in other programs? Will I even survive the econ?

Hi! My concern is exactly the same. I don't know if the quant courses are way too heavy and strict. Do I really want to drag myself into heavy course load? I would really appreciate anyone's idea on this. I am going to visit SAIS later this month - hope it will be helpful for my decision making.

Hi! My concern is exactly the same. I don't know if the quant courses are way too heavy and strict. Do I really want to drag myself into heavy course load? I would really appreciate anyone's idea on this. I am going to visit SAIS later this month - hope it will be helpful for my decision making.

SAIS only requires 6 econ courses (Micro, Macro, Int. Trade and Int. Mon. Econ + 2 electives.). That means you have 10 out of the 16 courses of the masters to focus in whichever area you like. Also, you could attend Pre-term if your worried about the economics classes. That way you can ease into the program and free up two more courses. In this manner, you would have 12 out of a total of 16 courses to focus in what you want. Also, if you end up having problems with the pre-term courses and don't pass for some reason, there will be no record of this in your transcript. You would only have to take the courses a second time during the first year.

Edited by JAC16

They require 4 econ plus two econ exams. If you do not have an economics background, you will have to take 6 courses in economics. If you take one during pre-term, then you still have 5 econ courses to study after that. Despite the amount of courses which, given the caliber of students in these programs, anyone with or without economics in their background could handle, I think it sets a tone in the school. Economics matters, yes. But if you care about any additional factors that play into international relations...is this the school for you? That is my concern.

I'm one of the lucky ones who got accepted into the IDEV track (which frankly, I was surprised by as my econ background is limited to 2 courses taken at the USDA Graduate School). However, as I recently started a job that I really like with an international development NGO, I'm actually not planning to attend grad school at all this year (so one of you may get my spot from the IDEV waitlist!). I'm debating whether to defer for a year or to decline altogether and reapply in 2-3 years. I didn't get any funding (other than loans) this time around. If I decline, am I hurting my chances of being readmitted in the future? Am I likely to get more funding with several years of additional experience in the field? (I already have two years of Peace Corps experience and some other semi-relevant work experience). Has anyone here declined and later been admitted? For those who did get funding, how many years of work experience do you have?

I'm one of the lucky ones who got accepted into the IDEV track (which frankly, I was surprised by as my econ background is limited to 2 courses taken at the USDA Graduate School). However, as I recently started a job that I really like with an international development NGO, I'm actually not planning to attend grad school at all this year (so one of you may get my spot from the IDEV waitlist!). I'm debating whether to defer for a year or to decline altogether and reapply in 2-3 years. I didn't get any funding (other than loans) this time around. If I decline, am I hurting my chances of being readmitted in the future? Am I likely to get more funding with several years of additional experience in the field? (I already have two years of Peace Corps experience and some other semi-relevant work experience). Has anyone here declined and later been admitted? For those who did get funding, how many years of work experience do you have?

I got into IDEV (significant funding) with 4 years of work experience in development-related financial services. Hope that helps.

I am so lucky as well to be accepted into the IDEV program! I guess work experience is not the only determinant factor since I am still a college senior without any full-time work experience. I am international and applied to the Bologna center directly, got into IDEV with substantial funding. My guess is that my internship at one of the EU institutions helped, and my econ undergrad back ground helped too (took both Micro/Macro/Finance classes).

I am so lucky as well to be accepted into the IDEV program! I guess work experience is not the only determinant factor since I am still a college senior without any full-time work experience. I am international and applied to the Bologna center directly, got into IDEV with substantial funding. My guess is that my internship at one of the EU institutions helped, and my undergrad econ background helped too (took Micro/Macro/Finance/Stats/Econ development classes).

Anyone else go to the open house today? What were your reactions?

I'm pretty much sold on SAIS, they made a really good case for its uniqueness compared to other IR grad schools. I'm hoping I can defer for a year to build up some savings (I'm coming straight out of undergrad), study my languages, and then hop into Latin American Studies.

I got in for Spring '12, as well. They said i could take a maximum of two courses in Fall '11, but i'll have to pay out of pocket--no FAFSA--since i wouldn't be a full-time student. Then i'll have two additional courses that can be taken either the following summer ('12) or the summer after that (2013).

I'm also in this boat. I e-mailed them when I got the decision (to ask if I could be moved to the Fall 11 term) and they responded today, saying that there was no appeal process, so I'm basically stuck. Does this mean that people on the waitlist now could potentially start this Fall while I wait till Spring? Starting in the Spring really does not sound attractive to me...

It's been a bit dissapointing to find out after the fact that both Kellogg and MIT Sloan have discontinued the ad hoc joint-degree programs with SAIS. Such a shame. SAIS is an amazing program and combines beautifully with an MBA. I wonder if politics or money are to blame? Has anyone had any luck this year arranging an ad hoc joint degree?

It's been a bit dissapointing to find out after the fact that both Kellogg and MIT Sloan have discontinued the ad hoc joint-degree programs with SAIS. Such a shame. SAIS is an amazing program and combines beautifully with an MBA. I wonder if politics or money are to blame? Has anyone had any luck this year arranging an ad hoc joint degree?

I'm working on it now... but no luck so far.