Japan Foundation Doctoral Fellowship

Lustforlife

Nope, I'm still waiting--I know several people who applied as well, and nothing from any of them yet either.

I happened to speak to some of the Japan Foundation people at AAS, and from the sound of it, they didn't plan on sending out anything in March this year the way they had in past years. Here's hoping that now that it's April, we'll hear something soon.

By the way, if anyone has contacted them to ask for any updates on their timeline, please post it here. I contacted them once several weeks ago, but I'm getting a little, uh, antsy. (My deadline to confirm to my department whether I will be here or not next year is April 15th, so JF is cutting it quite close for me). 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, carlwithac said:

I just got an acceptance email! I think they may be emailing this year because the decisions are coming so late.

Oh my goodness, congratulations! I had really been hoping they would email something rather than waiting until the very end of April, haha. Glad to hear that's the case!

Received notification via snail mail today that I've been selected as an alternate. The letter was sent from the Japan Foundation New York office (postmarked April 13th), but they included the letter from the main Japan Foundation in Tokyo, as well (postmarked April 6th). 

• 1 year later...

Can I revive this thread for 2019-2020 applications? (as seems to be tradition...) Has anyone heard back yet? I haven't heard back yet and I applied directly through the Tokyo office. Also, I'm located in Tokyo already so I should be one of the first to receive snail mail. If anyone has news I'd appreciate it. I'm starting to worry about the potential impact of COVID-19 on my grant applications.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:41 AM, Still_Waiting said:

Can I revive this thread for 2019-2020 applications? (as seems to be tradition...) Has anyone heard back yet? I haven't heard back yet and I applied directly through the Tokyo office. Also, I'm located in Tokyo already so I should be one of the first to receive snail mail. If anyone has news I'd appreciate it. I'm starting to worry about the potential impact of COVID-19 on my grant applications.

I'm still waiting too. I'm in the US and I dont know if I'll get the notification by mail or email. Worrying here too about the possible impact, but there's nothing we can do ToT