University of Texas at Austin

Gradhorn

I am headed into the Department of Government. I visited Austin a week before the official visit weekend because I had a schedule conflict. Also, I had been to the city before in my former life as a touring musician. When I boarded my flight to Texas I was 80% sure I was going somewhere else, but by the end of my trip I was 90% sure I was going to be a Longhorn. The faculty in my field was fired up to work with me and the city is fabulous. In the end it was an easy call to make.

I have an acceptance, too. They're very welcoming and responsive, very enthusiastic about my potential attendance, and are bending over backwards to offer me a good financial package. Everything about the offer is great...

Except...

I've never lived in Texas and I'm a bit apprehensive about accepting the offer. I know that "Austin isn't Texas"...but I visited and it kind of seemed like it ...you know....was. A lot of the buildings in Austin were new, fake-Colonial-Spanish style tan stucco with red tiles and it felt like...I dunno. TexasLand, for someone who has never been to Texas.

Having said that, let me emphasize that I have never been to any other part of Texas and only spent about 36 hours there in December (at the end of a grueling visit schedule to other places, so I wasn't the most alert of people), and I know it's unfair to (a.) dismiss Texas on stereotype and (b.) dismiss Austin on a Texas stereotype it doesn't really fit, according to everyone I've talked to about it. Questions about it are probably better kept to the 'City Guide' section, but other general impressions of the campus/city would be appreciated.

I initially had the same worry (back when I was deciding whether or not to apply) but over time I've just felt more certain that Austin doesn't slip into the stereotypical Texas mold (which I'm sure is not true throughout the rest of Texas either). But Austin is very liberal, progressive, and though it may have race/class issues like every other major city, it has been voted one of the best places to live for young folks, for liberals, for progressives, for LGBTQ folks, etc. multiple times. That sounds pretty promising to me. Plus, I have family and friends from Austin who all speak so highly of the city and everything that I've heard/read/seen of Austin is proof that it's generally a really great city, especially for getting one's education. Mind you though, I haven't visited first hand...I will be doing so in the coming weeks.

But from what I've heard, it's much less fitting of the stereotype of Texas (in terms of the stereotype of conservatism) than somewhere like Ann Arbor, which I'm super familiar with. But I think ultimately it comes down to what fits your personality and lifestyle the most. Best of luck!

I have an acceptance, too. They're very welcoming and responsive, very enthusiastic about my potential attendance, and are bending over backwards to offer me a good financial package. Everything about the offer is great...

Except...

I've never lived in Texas and I'm a bit apprehensive about accepting the offer. I know that "Austin isn't Texas"...but I visited and it kind of seemed like it ...you know....was. A lot of the buildings in Austin were new, fake-Colonial-Spanish style tan stucco with red tiles and it felt like...I dunno. TexasLand, for someone who has never been to Texas.

Having said that, let me emphasize that I have never been to any other part of Texas and only spent about 36 hours there in December (at the end of a grueling visit schedule to other places, so I wasn't the most alert of people), and I know it's unfair to (a.) dismiss Texas on stereotype and (b.) dismiss Austin on a Texas stereotype it doesn't really fit, according to everyone I've talked to about it. Questions about it are probably better kept to the 'City Guide' section, but other general impressions of the campus/city would be appreciated.

Except...

Make no mistake, Austin is still Texas, and Austinites are proud to be Texans. They're not trying to be cool wannabe New Yorkers or LA/San Fran hipsters. There is a uniquely Texas vibe to the feel of Austin. That said, yes-- they are much more in tune with what's going on in the country/world, have good taste, are tolerant, lots of diversity...."keeping Austin weird". ;) Yes, it's an anomale for Texas, but the Austinites I know don't look down on the rest of Texas like arrogant, elitist NE folks. (you totally canNOT tell I'm from Texas ;)

Just my two cents! Best of luck and when it comes to cities to be able to live in while attending college, you're damn lucky if it's Austin. :)

Gunner24--I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound elitist and condescending. Texas' stereotype/reputation intimidates me... Apologies.:(

Leopolds and Gunner24--Thanks so much for the input. Best of luck!

Gunner24--I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound elitist and condescending. Texas' stereotype/reputation intimidates me... Apologies.:(

Leopolds and Gunner24--Thanks so much for the input. Best of luck!

I didn't think you specifically sounded that way! I was sort of being facetious...I think it's hard to convey the subtlety of my humor attempt in simple text :)

I think you will really enjoy the Austin community vibe...there's no need to be intimidated! You'll fit right in, and we are very welcoming. Part of being an Austinite is defying stereotypes.

See ya there hopefully!

Greetings!

I will be joining the department of geography and environment in the fall. I have already visited Austin once and I had a spectacular time! Will anyone else be hanging out on the West side of the campus?

Congratulations to you all!

Adiosita,

Marina

Hey all! I am heading to the Michener center in the fall. I'm really excited for the program, and can't wait to see Austin. Texas has this conservative reputation, but Texas liberals are just all the more bad-ass.

Haha, that's hilarious. :lol:

Awesome! I'll be there too -- in the College of Communication. What's the Michener Center? And yes, Austin is amazing! You'll love it!

I read a lot on these boards people suggesting that Austin isn't like the rest of Texas, but in my two trips there I have loved that Austin is bohemian but it's also very Texan.

That's what I love about it too! B)

I haven't committed yet, but in all likelihood I'll be at UT in the fall (CMES). Do y'all know where you'll be living? I'd like to be close to campus, but I'd also like to eat.

South Austin, right by the Barton Creek Greenbelt, ~10-20 min from campus depending on traffic. I'm coming from Colorado, so I HAVE to be within walking/biking distance of outdoorsy stuff B) I like the areas around campus, but I'm paranoid of being around loads of wild undergrads (I'm married and a bit more boring than your average single college student, haha)...I checked out Hyde Park, but it was stinkin' expensive.

IMHO, south Austin has the best places to eat. There are good places both downtown, around campus, and north, so you'll be fine no matter where you choose, but S. Congress and S. Lamar have some gems...just my opinion though!

I'll most likely be living in Far West. I've heard from some other folks in my department that live there and only have good things to say about the area, as far as graduate living goes. Plus it's still on the UT Shuttle so there's easy access during the week. I'll be going soon to check it out in person though. Since I'll most likely be living in an apartment complex, I did a lot of scanning around on apartmentratings.com, there's some very helpful reviews about properties, landlords, maintenance, etc. Just something to look into!

I haven't committed yet, but in all likelihood I'll be at UT in the fall (CMES). Do y'all know where you'll be living? I'd like to be close to campus, but I'd also like to eat.

Hi....I may also be heading to UT-Austin, the LBJ school. Since am an international student so have absolutely no idea about Texas and Austin as such. It sounds from the discussion that Austin is really a place worth living and that the town is tolerant enough for Asians and other international students. Am I right?.....any feedback please?

Anyone in School of Architecture? MID professional?

I haven't officially accepted yet, but plan on starting the M.Arch I program in the fall!

Anyone go to the open house?

hey guys, do you know how easy is it to get a job on campus? Ideally, I would like to know about graduate assistantships, but non-academic jobs would be fine too. I'd be attending LBJ and I am an international student. What can I expect?

I'll be joining the Sociology department at Texas in the fall! I'm mostly looking forward to the SUN! We worship the sun here in the Midwest whenever we are blessed to be in its presence, so I'm quite looking forward to lots of sunshine! Also, I really loved the city when I visited and the food. Oh yea, the department and faculty were pretty sweet as well...