Storrs, CT

Guest Guest

Okay, so my best friend (who is Russian and not on Grad cafe or any other websites where relevant info can be found) will be going to UConn for 3-4 months this winter.

Obviously, he will

a) not have a car

B) probably live on campus

c) want to see NY, Philly, Boston and *if I can convince him* the Atlantic.

Hence my question - I've checked out the website and all, but it assumes everyone has a car. How easy or difficult is it to get out of Storrs? Is there rail service (preferably something inexpensive) to the major Eastern cities? How reliable and decent are the buses?

And what can one do (assuming my best friend is OH SO NOT a party animal) on campus?

Galka, I love UConn and its beautiful campus, but I'm not gonna lie: it's pretty isolated and very few grad students live there. And by "very few," I mean that I know like one grad student who lives on campus. It is completely dominated by undergrads; the thought of being stuck there all weekend with no car does make my head hurt. Keep in mind that "Storrs" is not actually a town, but really just a postal designation for the campus and a small number of houses and businesses in its immediate area.

On the plus side, lots of people use the buses, and I've never heard a bad word about that service. There is a shuttle to Union Station in Hartford, where you can catch a train or a long-distance bus. The shuttle itself costs something like $50,though, so he'll probably be better off if he can catch a ride from you or another friend.

The campus itself is very nice--there's even a movie theater in the Student Union--but living there will mean being surrounded by kids 24-7. I'm sure he'll be fine, but my advice to him would be to make some friends with cars.

• 5 months later...

I've read online that Willimantic isn't a nice place to stay due to crime and homeless situation. Also Mansfield and Storrs are OK but isolated and relatively more expensive than the surrounding places. I see in this thread that Vernon is the most selected place for a grad and I can see why. It is an OK community, close to Manchester and Hartford, close to UConn of course also, and daily bus route to NYC. But I wouldn't mind living outside a town, but still pretty close to it...

Too late for Michalis, but...

Willimantic is patchy, but eccentric and kind of fun. If you can visit in person, you'll be able to judge the neighborhood for yourself. If you're picking apartments from afar, then maybe it's not the best place to look. But... if you're artsy, it's a MUCH better option than Vernon or Manchester.

Just incase this topic ever comes up again,

I have never attended UCONN, but I have lived in Willimantic for some time, and went to ECSU(the university in Willimantic) for my first two years of undergrad. It’s about 15 minutes from UCONN to Willimantic. Willimantic itself is definitely not paradise(in fact it was made famous by 60 minutes as the heroin capital of the northeast; however, this credential has long since been lost), but it has a few good qualities which would bring me to it if I was a UCONN grad student. If you are interested in a good cafe where you can do some work, "cafemantic" may be the only place to go. I have spent a lot of time at universities in DC and Providence and Cafemantic is as good a cafe as you could find in any of those places(maybe better). I have met a few UCONN graduate students who go there fairly regularly. Willimantic is an old rust-belt mill-town which has seen many influxes of demographically specific immigration over the years, the last huge influx was people from Mexico and Puerto Rico, which has precipitated the opening of some nice Latino establishments. A little down the street from Cafemantic is "Don Taco," a very cheap and authentic taqueria(i recommend the quesadilla with al pastor or tacos with chorizo). Next door to their is the panaria, which makes a decent sandwich and killer flan(also very cheap). Also, at the Mansfield Mall(which is right next to the Big Y) there is a surprisingly good sushi/habachi restaurant which has a very reasonably priced lunch special(their spicy crunchy tuna roll is probably their best sushi in comparison to other places, but all of their sushi is very fresh and tasty). While I haven't been inside, there is also a place on main-street called "Wrench in the Works," which my more anarchist leaning friends say is pretty well known throughout the northeast, so I suppose if you are into that kind of thing, it is there.

The bars are mostly either ruled by the undergrads(i.e. blarneys with its $2 pitchers) or are bars you wouldn't want to go to. There is a new one called "The Thirsty Frog" which I hear is nice and you may want to check out with some friends.

As for housing: One of my friends who lives a few miles past Big-Y(going towards UCONN) pays $400 a month; however, the landlord is a friend and he shares one bathroom and one kitchen with four people. While I don't know about other landlords, Meyburd Realestate has some nice apartments for grad students. I know that a newly renovated studio with kitchen and bath with them is $550/month. There website is http://meyburdrealestate.com/

Hope this is useful to someone.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any advice for good places to live for a PhD student starting @ UConn in the Fall of 2010? Any advice/suggestions are welcome! I think Manchester may be a solid spot, because it is still close to Storrs, but also has a decent amount of stuff in close proximity

Manchester's nice for precisely the reasons you've given. Vernon/Rockville is a bit cheaper--about the same distance to campus, but farther from Hartford. I know a number of people who live in Stafford Springs, but there's not much "stuff" there. You might look around Coventry, which is about halfway between Storrs and Manchester. Closer to campus there's Willimantic, which seems like a love-it-or-hate-it kind of place.

PM me if you want more specific suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone stay at the grad dorms? (well I guess a few do) I am starting at UConn in a masters program and although I have a good chance of getting an assistantship for next year, I don't right now. I want cheap and convenient and although the dorms aren't cheap, they are close, there isn't a deposit, utilities, bad roommates, etc. I also wont have a car until late Fall or early January.

Any thoughts of doing this for a year or are there major drawbacks I'm not thinking of? I'm hoping, not ever being a big partier, they are quieter than the undergrad dorms.

I posted on the other forum, looking for a place to stay as a masters student, but wont have a car for a while and am thinking of staying on campus. Some of the reviews for apartments around Storrs were horrible and I don't want to spend a lot of money for a dump, just because it's close to UConn.

Vernon and Manchester sound better, some students I talked too got one in Manchester and worked in Hartford.

I might not have a car first semester so I was thinking of living in grad dorms (without food plan) and making do. I love UConn's programs but I wish it wasn't so isolated.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

Tell me - is it possible to live off-campus in one of the towns around Storrs that were mentioned in the thread and commute to campus? I don't have a car and I am not going to have it in any forseeable future but people in this thread mentioned that there are few grad students living on-campus so it's better not to dwell there alone among partying undergrads. I really hope I can live off-campus and go there by bus...

Tell me - is it possible to live off-campus in one of the towns around Storrs that were mentioned in the thread and commute to campus? I don't have a car and I am not going to have it in any forseeable future but people in this thread mentioned that there are few grad students living on-campus so it's better not to dwell there alone among partying undergrads. I really hope I can live off-campus and go there by bus...

Unfortunately you are not really in luck. There's the Willimantic bus, as covered before, and as far as I know nothing else. You may be able to live off-campus within walking distance, say renting a room in a house of grads or non-students.

In a general reply to this thread: I grew up in New Jersey and wanted to go to New England for school. I came to UConn and rented a really fabulous 1BR apartment in Vernon ($700/mo heat and water inc). After a year of driving everywhere, I have realized that I desperately need to live in a city environment. I can't do really basic things like getting groceries, running in a park, or going to a bar without driving first and it's really awful. I'm always escaping to Hartford, New Haven, or even Worcester, MA.

Now don't get me wrong, the people here are great and there have been a number of fun house parties. But if you're the kind of person who needs to visit a coffee chain in the morning, or who likes to have a corner shop to pick up groceries, or who doesn't like to drive or own a car, think long and hard before coming to UConn.

Unfortunately you are not really in luck. There's the Willimantic bus, as covered before, and as far as I know nothing else. You may be able to live off-campus within walking distance, say renting a room in a house of grads or non-students.

In a general reply to this thread: I grew up in New Jersey and wanted to go to New England for school. I came to UConn and rented a really fabulous 1BR apartment in Vernon ($700/mo heat and water inc). After a year of driving everywhere, I have realized that I desperately need to live in a city environment. I can't do really basic things like getting groceries, running in a park, or going to a bar without driving first and it's really awful. I'm always escaping to Hartford, New Haven, or even Worcester, MA.

Now don't get me wrong, the people here are great and there have been a number of fun house parties. But if you're the kind of person who needs to visit a coffee chain in the morning, or who likes to have a corner shop to pick up groceries, or who doesn't like to drive or own a car, think long and hard before coming to UConn.

Thanks for your reply!

You live in Vernon and may be the situation is a bit different in Willimantic? If there is a bus, can't I use it to get to grocery stores?

I definetely can live without a run in the park or a cup of coffee in a cafe in the morning :)

If the situation with getting to places is not as terrible as in Atlanta (and I have read a lot of bad things about living in Atlanta without a car) then I think I will be able to live in Willimantic and study at UConn...

Edited by Strangefox

Hm. I'm not terribly familiar with Vernon, but my place in Manchester is less than a half-mile from a corner store, a Dunkin' Donuts, a park, *and* a hiking trail. The commute to campus isn't terribly fun, but it's no longer than the drive from Vernon.

The bottom line is that there really are more options around UConn than people imagine, especially if you have a car. I think the choice is really between driving to campus (maybe three days per week?) and driving to everywhere else.

Hm. I'm not terribly familiar with Vernon, but my place in Manchester is less than a half-mile from a corner store, a Dunkin' Donuts, a park, *and* a hiking trail. The commute to campus isn't terribly fun, but it's no longer than the drive from Vernon.

The bottom line is that there really are more options around UConn than people imagine, especially if you have a car. I think the choice is really between driving to campus (maybe three days per week?) and driving to everywhere else.

The commute itself doesn't bother me. Manchester is nice, but all I see of it is the great sprawling Buckland Hills Mall and surrounding suburbs that scream "bedroom community". Maybe it's just my department but there doesn't seem to be much to do outside of the movie theater. I went to one pub there once - The Main. Where is the town proper? And how much do apartments go for in your area?

If I stay on at UConn for the PhD, I will be moving to New Haven.

Edited by RecycledViking

Hi! I actually grew up near UConn and I'm surprised no one's mentioned living in Coventry yet. It's actually not too far from campus, is very quiet (if you like quiet) and is about halfway between Manchester (where all the "fun" things are) and Storrs. It would be a quick ride to campus (especially if you live on Route 44) as well as the mall area in Manchester.

Stafford's also a nice place to live. It's pretty cute (they've got a Main Street and everything), and also not too far from campus. If you're into NASCAR, they've got a race track either near or in the town itself. However, the ride to Manchester would be a bit long.

I have two main recommendations of things to do while you're in Storrs.

1. Walk on Horsebarn Hill on the UConn campus and pet some of the animals. They have a cowshed with young/baby cows that they let people just go in and pet. I believe the same goes for the horse barn. It's also good exercise, and you can even reward yourself with delicious ice cream at the Dairy Bar afterwards.

2. Go see a movie at the drive-in movie theater in Mansfield. Thursday nights are cheap (I believe only $15 for however many people you can fit in a car). You can go to the early show and stay for the late show, so you get to watch two movies for the price of one. You can also bring alcohol and fun snacks and just enjoy the fresh air and beautiful night sky while watching a movie with your friends. It's really great for scary movies, because the entire car will shake a little when something scary happens (due to the high volume).

Important Note: Connecticut has a law where it's illegal to sell alcohol in grocery stores and liquor stores and such after 9 pm. Also, no alcohol can be sold in these places on a Sunday. So make sure you stock up during the week! I've never actually been to a bar or a club, but I'm pretty sure the rule doesn't apply there.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. I lived there for 18 years, so I know a thing or two about the area.

Edited by American in Beijing

• 8 months later...

I thought I should give this one a bump.

I'm thinking of living in Willimantic.

Does anyone know whether it would be a pleasant place to live for a grad student? (I'm a bit concerned because of the ECSU campus nearby)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost certain I'll be going to UConn Storrs this fall, and will probably be living in Willimantic as well. I've taken a course at ECSU, but I can't really tell what it is like on the weekends. Like many cities Willimantic has good and bad parts, but the best part - the "Hill" section - seems far enough away from the ECSU campus to be relatively quiet. It is worth noting too that most of the undergrads from ECSU will most likely keep to their campus, since most live there.

Now, if anyone here is interesting in sharing apartment hunting tips for UConn, I'd appreciate any info, and I'll share what I find. Craigslist for Eastern CT is fairly dead, but I would suggest looking at the local papers too for rental information.

I thought I should give this one a bump.

I'm thinking of living in Willimantic.

Does anyone know whether it would be a pleasant place to live for a grad student? (I'm a bit concerned because of the ECSU campus nearby)

• 3 weeks later...

Who can recommend some good apartment complexes in the Manchester/Vernon area? I'm going to be starting my graduate studies at UCONN this fall. Thanks!

Hi Juliana! I'll be going to UConn in the fall too! What program are you going for?

I'm almost certain I'll be going to UConn Storrs this fall, and will probably be living in Willimantic as well. I've taken a course at ECSU, but I can't really tell what it is like on the weekends. Like many cities Willimantic has good and bad parts, but the best part - the "Hill" section - seems far enough away from the ECSU campus to be relatively quiet. It is worth noting too that most of the undergrads from ECSU will most likely keep to their campus, since most live there.

Now, if anyone here is interesting in sharing apartment hunting tips for UConn, I'd appreciate any info, and I'll share what I find. Craigslist for Eastern CT is fairly dead, but I would suggest looking at the local papers too for rental information.

I'm actually hunting around for places too. I initially wanted to stay close to STORRS, but contrary to what people have been saying, it's been easier finding places in Manchester and not Mansfield/Storrs. Additionally, any places I've seen in Storrs/Mansfield thus far seem to be really outdated. I forget what the site is that I've been searching, but there are alot of websites featuring apartments in CT. Just type in apartments for rent in storrs or manchester, CT in your search engine. Have you found a roommate yet? How will you go about looking for someone to live with?

Welcome to the Quiet Corner, future Huskies! Congrats--I completed an MA at UConn and currently live in the area. All the advice others have posted here is spot on. You all may also want to consider Ashford, Willington, and Tolland as options. Both are close to the University and have rentals that tend to cater to grad students. Most of the apartments that are walking distance to UConn are poorly maintained and WAY overpriced for what you get. I live in a condo community in Ashford that is less than 10 minutes from campus, and it is SUPER quiet and clean here--most of the tenants are UConn grad students. This page has some listings for off-campus housing: http://web.offcampuspartners.com/33

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

• 7 months later...

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has been through or knows anything about the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Ph.D program at UConn. Any feedback on the program, UConn, or the area in general? I am married with two small children, so I am looking for a place to live that is relatively inexpensive and safe.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Trying to restart this thread- any future huskies out there trying to find housing for the fall? I've been worried that if I wait until July, I won't have any place to live. Anyone know when most of the housing gets taken? I am looking to live in Willimantic, in a studio/1 bedroom.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Future huskies still around here? I'm considering an acceptance offer from UConn and I'm really excited, but housing seems like a challenge!

Just got my acceptance yesterday actually lol. Housing does seem to be the biggest issue to consider and I'm not really sure where to start!