MSW Group Interview at Hunter College..suggestions??

Capricorn87

Hey everyone:

I have my group interview at Hunter College School of Social Work next week and i'm not sure how to prepare so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been on a graduate school interview so I don't know what to expect. What types of questions are typically asked for MSW programs? Please Help Me :-)

Hey everyone:

I have my group interview at Hunter College School of Social Work next week and i'm not sure how to prepare so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never been on a graduate school interview so I don't know what to expect. What types of questions are typically asked for MSW programs? Please Help Me :-)

Hi, capricorn -- I had my interview yesterday. There were 9 of us in a round table discussion and there was one interviewer who would ask a question and each applicant had a chance to respond. It was pretty relaxed but I was nervous and don't think I did very well. Have a very clear explanation of why you want to go into social work and why Hunter specifically -- and then be prepared to answer questions pertaining to the field -- they are not really tough questions but I think if you have had very little experience in the field you might not know how to respond. He gave us several scenarios and asked us to respond. One thing I would suggest is not to answer right away, which is what I did -- because after two or three people answer it gives you a good sense of where to go with the question and makes it easier to respond but make it your own. Some examples are what would you do if you were a caseworker and in someone's home and they did such and such ... how would you handle it? or if someone was offensive or hostile how would you deal with it, etc.? Mostly common sense. Be prepared to answer something about culture, race, challenging populations and your own interests.

My best advice is take our time answering the question, don't rush through it out of nerves, use your common sense and be as natural as possible. I think the interview is fairly cut and dry -- it's being nervous that screws you up -- so just relax.

• 2 weeks later...

My interview is this week and I am so nervous. I don't know what to expect. Ive been catching up on current events, especially on social issues hoping that it will come in handy. How did your interview go Capricorn?

• 3 weeks later...

I have my Interview for Hunter MSW program on April 29. I would love to hear more suggestions on how everyone did. I hope we all make it into the program. I would imagine if we are getting called for an interview that we passed phase I; the written application and references part. I do have seven years experience in the field but am still very nervous. I do not do well under pressure. It usually takes me some time to answer. I think we should really make sure we listen to exactly what they are asking and, as the other blogger wrote, DO NOT RUSH.. That will only hurt us in the end. Good Luck to All !!! :unsure:

I have my Interview for Hunter MSW program on April 29. I would love to hear more suggestions on how everyone did. I hope we all make it into the program. I would imagine if we are getting called for an interview that we passed phase I; the written application and references part. I do have seven years experience in the field but am still very nervous. I do not do well under pressure. It usually takes me some time to answer. I think we should really make sure we listen to exactly what they are asking and, as the other blogger wrote, DO NOT RUSH.. That will only hurt us in the end. Good Luck to All !!! :unsure:

Hi,

I had my interview on a friday and a week later I received an acceptance email--after the interview there isn't much waiting :). As far as the interview goes its more of a group discussion. There were 8 people in my group. We were given 2 scenarios and each given a chance to reply the "what if". There was also the question of why SW and how one is preparing to embark on the journey. There isn't much to it. I was actually shocked that specific questions were not asked about CV or related experience. Overall, it was fairly easy. Do take your time to answer, don't be the first :) and just go in relaxed because its very informal. Of course do dress business casual :). Let me know how it goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hope you all were accepted!!! For those who might be reading this now, I am interviewing at the end of this month for the Spring 2012 semester. If anyone will be interviewing for that same semester would you be interested in "practicing?" That is, a mock interview - brainstorming scenarios, etc. to prepare ourselves when the time comes. I am always a little anxious when it comes to these types of roundtable interviews.

I live in Queens so I am mobile.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have already had your interview, do you remember what types of questions were asked? How long the interview took? I realize that it is a group interview, so everyone's experiences could be different, but would just like a general idea of what it is like. Thanks!

For those of you who have already had your interview, do you remember what types of questions were asked? How long the interview took? I realize that it is a group interview, so everyone's experiences could be different, but would just like a general idea of what it is like. Thanks!

Hey - Just a question since I saw you're also applying for the Fall of 2012... have you heard anything about your application, on the site does it just say that your application is complete and has been submitted or does it say that it is being reviewed? I'm wondering this because I wanted to know how long it takes them to start actually reviewing the applications for Fall 2012; maybe they wait closer to the deadline so they can compare aps?

Hi everyone. I applied to Hunter Oct 1, they asked me for an interview at the end of Oct. Went for my interview on Nov. 2 and received my acceptance on Dec. 5 for the fall 2012. So they did start to look at the fall 2012 applicants.

My group interview lasted almost 2 hours, there was 8 in my group.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - Just a question since I saw you're also applying for the Fall of 2012... have you heard anything about your application, on the site does it just say that your application is complete and has been submitted or does it say that it is being reviewed? I'm wondering this because I wanted to know how long it takes them to start actually reviewing the applications for Fall 2012; maybe they wait closer to the deadline so they can compare aps?

Hunter's website just says that my application is complete/submitted. They definitely review applications as they are completed/submitted. When did you submit your application? Other people that have applied say that it takes roughly a month to hear about an interview, if you're invited for one.

• 1 month later...

Took me a month to hear about an interview. I have mine on 2/24. I'm really hoping it doesn't take an entire extra month to receive notification after that!!

I'm really nervous since my undergrad is NOT social work, it's social science with a minor in psychology. I have taken 3 undergrad social work classes which AT LEAST helps, but I feel not as in the loop!

gguuuhhhh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

For those of you who had your Hunter interview recently - any additional thoughts, comments or helpful pointers? I have mine on Friday. Bit nervous. Plus, it is a Skype interview - never had one of those. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi all,

Just heard back from Hunter for an interview (applied to Hunter, NYU, Fordham and Yeshiva...this is the first program that has got back to me). I have mine on March 6. Really nervous but my strategy is just to be as honest and as I can! I don't think there is much more I can do with just under a week until then. Any additional advice/suggestions? Very open to anything. Thank you (:

Good luck to all!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!!

I got an email today for my interview. However I'm in California and will be doing a Skype interview? I'm very nervous.. Not sure what to expect since it won't be a group discussion. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i was invited in for an interview in early may, FINALLY. i applied at the end of january. i'm annoyed by how much time has elapsed between submitting my application and hearing anything from the admissions office. three or four inquiry emails went unanswered, and it's impossible to get a real human being on the phone there; they just keep redirecting you until you give up and hang up the phone. anyway, i'm glad to not be rejected but just want to have their decision so i can plan for my future. i deferred admission to ut austin and columbia for a semester (i had applied for the spring 2012 semester originally) so that i could try my luck with hunter. now it's reaching a critical point where i have to decide on a school now but still don't know where i stand with hunter.

for those that have already interviewed, any more information would be greatly appreciated. i've read a few sample scenarios to expect but am curious about what types of answers people prepared and if all the answers sounded the same (was it hard to differentiate yourself among the pack?).

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I just had my interview on March 18 after submitting my application on March 1st.  I was extremely nervous and reading all of the other posts of how to prepare for the interview did not help me out at all.  So for those who will be interviewing for Hunters MSW program in the near future, here was my experience. 

There were 8 people in my group, all females including myself.  In the beginning we gave introductions about ourselves stating why we chose Hunter and why social work particularly.  I was surprised that I was the only person in my group who did their undergrad in social work.  So if you majored in something other than social work, it’s totally fine, chances are there will be other people in the group just like you.  I was also the only person who was applying to the advanced standing (1 year master’s program) and everyone else was doing the 2 year program.  When answering the first question, say something about policy making (which hunter is known for) and diversity. The introductions took about 30 min.  We were then asked what we believed to be our social identity.  Everyone responded differently.  I stated that "I am a person who motivates, supports, and empowers individuals to reach their full potential and will persistently look for solutions for my clients because as social workers we should always strive to fulfill our clients' needs".  If you do not understand the question, let someone else answer first.  That way you can gain a better understanding of what the answer entails while trying to make it your own.  We were then given a scenario about a vet who came to our office and wanted the social worker to give him their number.  Would we give it to the vet or not and why?  I said that giving a client our personal phone number is unethical and confuses the boundaries between the social worker as a professional and the client as a friend.  If the vet was in immediate trouble he can call a hotline or schedule an appointment to see me.  After, we were given an article and asked to list the social welfare implications.  My article was about the LGBTQ community and how they have been ostracized for their personal choices and physically/sexually abused. So in my two paragraph summary I stated that all individuals deserve to have their rights protected regardless of their sexual orientation. Also that society has the obligation of protecting the general well-being of everyone.  When we finished our writing sample, we were allowed to leave.

Trust me, I know how nerve wrecking a grad school interview can be but don’t let your nerves get the best of you.  The interview is very informal and I believe that I was a little overdressed (slacks, white button down, and black blazer), a nice blouse and cardigan is absolutely fine.  So if you already have something in your closet do not try to waste money buying a new outfit, which I did.  I went to Macys and bought $200 worth of clothes and ending up wearing something I already owned.

I hope that I was helpful and I wish you the best of luck.  Graduating from college and choosing to continue your education is a huge accomplishment in itself.  Just relax and you will do fine (something that every single person told me that).  Be yourself as well as sincere and you will definitely get in.  If you have any questions just respond to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

-Hopeful Grad School Applicant