MSW Group Interview at Hunter College..suggestions??

Capricorn87

I had my group interview two weeks ago.  It was not as painful as i thought.  Just stay cool.

Questions asked:

1.  Would you accept food if you were a social worker in somebody's house making a home visit?

2.  What would you do if you worked in a homeless shelter with a no-alcohol policy, and there was a hurricane outside and a homeless man wanted to come in drunk?

3.  What population would you least like to work with in your field placement and why?

4.  What kinds of things come up when i say "minority populations?"

5.  Why Hunter as opposed to other schools?

6.  Introduce yourself, tell me why you are here today, and why hunter?

We were also given an article to respond to at the end of the interview.  The question asked was "what are the social welfare implications in the article?"

• 1 year later...

Hi I just had my interview at Hunter for the 2 year clinical MSW track. I am a little nervous about how the interview went because most of the other interviewees were applying of the OYR program which requires you to have worked in social services for 2 years at least. The first question was to introduce ourselves and describe our experiences that relate to social work and how that led us to want to get this degree. I felt a little stupid with my answer because she asked what we are currently doing and I am nannying to save up money for school. The OYR people had all of this great experience in social services and had much better answers about social work. The woman also came back at us asking follow up questions on our experiences. The first question took about an hour because there were 8 of us. The next question was what is our social identity and how will that translate to our clients. I got skipped over for this question bc of time so I hope that doesn't hurt me. The third question was a vignette about doing weekly home visits and then one day this person cooks you a meal and sets the table for two. We were not asked what we would do but what would be our thought processes and what would be our concerns in making the decision whether to stay or not. Next we had a writing assignment on an article that talked about hunger and obesity in NYC and how a hunger coalition has made a plan for the next mayor to possibly put into place to race food workers wages, provide school breakfast and basically fix the hunger issues. We had to write one paragraph on the social implications of this article. We had 20 minutes but it took me less than ten. I'm nervous about how I did but I don't think they will compare me to the others because we aren't going for the same program. I'm also thinking bc they're still interviewing in May there might still be open spots. We'll see.