College Station, TX

Guest Cheryl B

If you can find the niche pockets, you'll find friends of every kind. If it's the hip hop crowd, look at the historically black frats and some of the clubs in south Bryan. If it's GLBT, know that there was a rift between the non-students and students in the community (competing with one another instead of helping). Halo is the gay bar mentioned. They have drag shows and most of the staff are gay. However, it's getting a own rep as a "pretty" bar. There's a fairly decent sized Indian community. My friends used to live just north of campus and the complexes in the area had become a mini-community of sorts.

I'm surprised at how negative the posts are about College Station here. I would like to provide an alternative to the doomsday aspects painted here.

I went to undergrad there and I loved it, despite being as liberal as you get. As a graduate student, I think you are shielded from a lot of the negative aspects people are talking about on this board. Also, to people that complain that the housing market or bus system is bad... you are DELUSIONAL! Wait until you move some place where the housing market really sucks (State College, PA; Washington DC) and then you'll realize how great you had it. Having a bus system that is completely free is absolutely unheard of anywhere else.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, I go back to visit frequently, and I'm acquainted with a lot of the "counter-culture" aspects to what people are describing on this board. i.e.: the gay community, the minority community, activities NOT at Northgate, etc. I also lived in both Bryan and College Station, so I can speak to the pros and cons of both.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised at how negative the posts are about College Station here. I would like to provide an alternative to the doomsday aspects painted here.

I went to undergrad there and I loved it, despite being as liberal as you get. As a graduate student, I think you are shielded from a lot of the negative aspects people are talking about on this board. Also, to people that complain that the housing market or bus system is bad... you are DELUSIONAL! Wait until you move some place where the housing market really sucks (State College, PA; Washington DC) and then you'll realize how great you had it. Having a bus system that is completely free is absolutely unheard of anywhere else.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, I go back to visit frequently, and I'm acquainted with a lot of the "counter-culture" aspects to what people are describing on this board. i.e.: the gay community, the minority community, activities NOT at Northgate, etc. I also lived in both Bryan and College Station, so I can speak to the pros and cons of both.

As a minority grad student, will I feel uncomfortable spending the next several years there?

As a minority grad student, will I feel uncomfortable spending the next several years there?

That depends upon you as a person. Are you likely to stay holed up in your apartment when you're not in class or working? Then, yeah, you would feel uncomfortable. There are pocket communities spread throughout the cities and there's a little something for everyone. It's just in some cases you have to look a little harder or deeper than the surface.

That depends upon you as a person. Are you likely to stay holed up in your apartment when you're not in class or working? Then, yeah, you would feel uncomfortable. There are pocket communities spread throughout the cities and there's a little something for everyone. It's just in some cases you have to look a little harder or deeper than the surface.

I'm not asking if I will find other minorities in the area. I'm asking what the general attitude is toward minorities. Specifically, are there any other people who can talk about their experience as a minority living in this area? Did you feel welcome in the area? Will my parents feel uncomfortable when they come to visit, because they are an interracial couple?

Edited by VictorianTess

I'm a pagan white female, so only one of those qualifiers made me stand out in BCS. Still, I have/had friends of many nationalities and ethnicities, but honestly didn't meet them until grad school at A&M 10 years ago. Until then, most of my friends were white. It wasn't that I planned it that way; it's just that the make up of my classes and work were mostly white students/coworkers. That said, no, it's not East Texas in the 1960s. You won't be heckled or harassed walking across campus or dining in any of the awesome local eateries. Your parents won't be stared at if they hold hands while walking with you through the mall.

Does anyone have anything new to add for CS? Any new cool places to hang out or live?

I lived in College Station for 4 years and in Bryan for 2 years. People advise against Bryan, and yes, parts of it can be VERY sketchy, but the area is so small that within a few months, you'll learn where not to be. Downtown Bryan has a lot going on. I actually lived in a downtown loft my last year there, and it was very cool. They have "First Fridays" where everyone walks around for exhibitions and the like. There is some live music and good restaurants. Madden's and Square One are probably my two favorite restaurants in the entire area. Most of my friends who stayed in the area after undergrad migrated to Bryan and bought houses there. It's nice to get away from all of the crowds in College Station.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

My husband-to-be and myself are moving to College Station mid August. We're coming all the way from Australia and I'm a little worried about finding accommodation. Our current plan is to arrive 2 weeks before our start date at work. I'm hoping this would be sufficient time to look around for somewhere to stay.

Do you think this is risky? Is this inadvisable, given it is "peak" moving time, just before Fall semester starts? (That being said, I'm hoping there would be as many goings as comings)

We could organise accommodation over the internet and secure a place to live before getting there... However I am reluctant to commit to a lease without having first viewed the place.

Another of our limitations is the fact that we will need a furnished apartment, or need to rent furniture... Is the second-hand furniture market thriving in College Station?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks heaps! smile.gif

You don't have too many leaving in August. May is peak exodus time. However, years ago, I hired an employee from Nebraska. He and his wife lived in a hotel for about a week before they were able to find a house to rent that met their needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I, also, am not sure why so many people have decried Bryan - College Station. The people here are friendly and the area is extremely accepting of anybody who has a desire to be accepted (as is most of Texas). As an undergraduate there, I have worked along side many minorities and do not know a soul who treats people of color any differently than they treat their own color. I think the people who've had bad experiences here must be expecting of special treatment instead of equal treatment.. If you are one who needs constant activity away from your school life then College Station is not the place to go, but there are plenty of things to do on a semi-regular basis. Northgate is the most popular, but the area provides Theater entertainment through MSC Opas, many Museums and Galleries, and a world-class winery. First Friday is a popular gathering in Downtown Bryan with live music, eating and drinking, activities, and shopping. Because Former President George H. W. Bush's Library is in College Station, he is often seen out at Texas A&M sporting events or campus service projects. If you come from a school that didn't boast a prodigious football experience then should at least attend one A&M football game. The team hasn't been particularly good this last decade, but the fans are passionate and the atmosphere is different than any in the world. If you want to fit in, take pride in A&M, most everyone here does. The school was solely military for 80 years before integrating non-military students and has a very unique student body that revolves around tradition. I would strongly recommend giving Texas A&M and BCS a chance, if you shut yourself out, the only person you will victimize is yourself.

Hello there,

My husband-to-be and myself are moving to College Station mid August. We're coming all the way from Australia and I'm a little worried about finding accommodation. Our current plan is to arrive 2 weeks before our start date at work. I'm hoping this would be sufficient time to look around for somewhere to stay.

Do you think this is risky? Is this inadvisable, given it is "peak" moving time, just before Fall semester starts? (That being said, I'm hoping there would be as many goings as comings)

We could organise accommodation over the internet and secure a place to live before getting there... However I am reluctant to commit to a lease without having first viewed the place.

Another of our limitations is the fact that we will need a furnished apartment, or need to rent furniture... Is the second-hand furniture market thriving in College Station?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks heaps! smile.gif

I would recommend the Cayman Crossing apartments, they are newly renovated, but still inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

Are there many errrm how about ANY vegan-friendly grocers in CS/Bryan or in any town close by? How about Asian grocers?

I'm worried I'm going to have to travel two hours to Austin to find many of the staples I need for cooking!

I've seen Brazos Natural Foods..are they pricey more so than say than Sprouts (which I don't think is very expensive)? Do they have things like tofu, vital wheat gluten, tempeh, soy yogurt, nutritional yeast, tamarind paste/sauce?

Do the "Regular" supermarkets like Albertsons carry some of these things??

Your best bet is Village Foods at the corner of Briarcrest and 29th St in Bryan. And if they don't have a product, just ask. The owner is very open to ordering products, but in general, they have an awesome selection of gluten-free, organics, etc. You might get lucky at HEB on Texas Ave near Holleman in College Station (NOT the one in Bryan on Villa Maria). BNF will have some of those things and are priced in a moderate range. In general, they're a tad higher than Village Foods.

As for Asian markets, try BCS Food Market on Texas Ave at Raymond Stotzer Pkwy (FM 2818). It's right down the strip from Tractor Supply Co. I've heard it compared to Viet Hoa in Houston. It's not fantastic, but most I know were satisfied with it. There's also a tiny little market on Texas Ave in Bryan. It's called Dong Yang and is just south of Villa Maria.

Edited by dacey

Your best bet is Village Foods at the corner of Briarcrest and 29th St in Bryan. And if they don't have a product, just ask. The owner is very open to ordering products, but in general, they have an awesome selection of gluten-free, organics, etc. You might get lucky at HEB on Texas Ave near Holleman in College Station (NOT the one in Bryan on Villa Maria). BNF will have some of those things and are priced in a moderate range. In general, they're a tad higher than Village Foods.

As for Asian markets, try BCS Food Market on Texas Ave at Raymond Stotzer Pkwy (FM 2818). It's right down the strip from Tractor Supply Co. I've heard it compared to Viet Hoa in Houston. It's not fantastic, but most I know were satisfied with it. There's also a tiny little market on Texas Ave in Bryan. It's called Dong Yang and is just south of Villa Maria.

Great! Thank you so much.

• 6 months later...

I was accepted at Texas A&M with a 1230/mo. stipend. I am most interested in renting a 1br or studio, since I don't want roommates. Can I afford to do this, and live, considering the amount of my stipend? Any thoughts?

I was accepted at Texas A&M with a 1230/mo. stipend. I am most interested in renting a 1br or studio, since I don't want roommates. Can I afford to do this, and live, considering the amount of my stipend? Any thoughts?

Yes, you will be able to find an apartment for just you within the budget of your stipend. However, I would itemize all of the expenses you will have each month and see if dropping 5-600/mo out of 1200 is going to be feasible...that's a big chunk. After adding in transportation costs, cell phone, food, etc. on top of that rent and you may be cutting in close...I'm assuming you also want to save a little each month for trips home? Or at least a couple fun days in Austin?:)

Also...is the 1230/mo for 12 months? I'm assuming it is, but many stipends are only for 9. Just checking. Best of luck to you!!

• 2 weeks later...

im also going to A&M in the fall with a stipend of 2k/mo and am also looking for a studio/1 br.

based on my research so far, it looks like the ones that are close to campus are around 600/month.

my preference is to be near the student rec since i like to exercise in the morning before classes so the apartments im looking at may be pricier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there :)

I'm going to attend A&M for fall 2011 with monthly stipend of 2000 and going to rent an apartment on campus.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Which one sounds better? the garden apartments or college view? (overall I mean)

Also , will I be needing a car right from the beginning?

It’s my first time in the US, is it going to be a nice place to start for a not religious girl from the middle east?

I will be very thankful if there is anyone with some advice for me :)

im also going to A&M in the fall with a stipend of 2k/mo and am also looking for a studio/1 br.

based on my research so far, it looks like the ones that are close to campus are around 600/month.

my preference is to be near the student rec since i like to exercise in the morning before classes so the apartments im looking at may be pricier.

you guys SHOULD be able to do this with no problem. I have a friend who goes to A&M for civil and she's making money her stipend is so high and the cost of living is so low. My only advice is to avoid the university apartments.. they seemed incredibly expensive and you don't get a lot for your money. (I should probably mention that when I went to visit they gave us a tour of the university housing and one apartment complex, neither of which were incredibly impressive)

Be aware of the living communities that do roommate matching -- they seem like a good deal but you have to live with someone and it's none of your furniture.

Edited by spade20k

• 3 weeks later...

I also looked at those two complexes.

I decided to go with Treehouse Apartments which is ~0.25 miles from the student rec center (a very important deciding factor for me!).

I heard bad things about college view but that may be an isolated incident.

Hi there :)

I'm going to attend A&M for fall 2011 with monthly stipend of 2000 and going to rent an apartment on campus.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Which one sounds better? the garden apartments or college view? (overall I mean)

Also , will I be needing a car right from the beginning?

It’s my first time in the US, is it going to be a nice place to start for a not religious girl from the middle east?

I will be very thankful if there is anyone with some advice for me :)

Hey!

I think I will attend TAMU in the fall,

I'm a MS student and I'm 22.

I was thinking about living on campus and I don't have money for a car.

I will be on a RA with 1750/month. Is it livable?

Any suggestion?

hi!!

I got an admit from University of Texas,Dallas for fall 2011.I would like to know if on campus housing

is better or off campus..and any other useful information provided will be appreciated..thank you..