College Station, TX

Guest Cheryl B

Guest Cheryl B

While I don't attend Texas A&M, my mom is a research scientist there and I lived in Bryan/College Station from age 8 to 18, and will try my best to answer any questions anyone has.

A brief lowdown: except on game day, there is no such thing as traffic in B/CS - people get pissed off if they have to sit through two red lights, but that's about it. Although it's not a huge town, everything's pretty spread out and it can definitely be a hardship to not have a car, unless you live on campus, with meal plan, and have no need to go eat/drink anywhere besides Northgate, the compact, lively area of nightlife right next to campus. However, lots of people do get by just on bikes, especially since so many people have cars and nothing's much further than a 10-15 minute drive that undoubtedly one of your friends will be able to give you a lift when you need it.

It's definitely a conservative town (home of the George Bush Presidential Library), which bothered me since I'm so liberal, but then again, if you're like me it gives you plenty of targets for mockery, which is always fun. However, from the grad students I know there, I wouldn't be surprised if the graduate student population, coming from a greater variety of places, is significantly more liberal than the undergraduate and town residents. There are several enormous Baptist churches and lots of religious organizations. There's also a very large international student population (especially Asian & Indian, from my observations), so if you're from overseas, don't worry that you'll be the only one surrounded by white, Southern, hick Baptists.

There are a couple very good coffee shops for hanging out within a 5-minute drive from campus (my favorite is the Coffee Station), and people here are very friendly, so it's very easy to meet new friends at the social hangouts (especially if you're a [cough cough] girl). The weather's hot, of course, though not nearly as muggy as places closer to the Gulf. It generally ices every year or two, and snows enough to stick (briefly) on the ground every 4 years or so. The heat, while it can be unbearable in the summer on your walk to and from your car, is mitigated by the fact that every building with aggressively air condition you to death in order to counteract the heat.

It's a 1 hour 30 minute drive to Houston, around 2 1/2 hours to Austin, 3 hours to Dallas. As far as I know, not much of a cultural scene; MSC Opas puts on a variety of shows each year, but they're the only (dubiously) major venue. Otherwise you have to be like me and plan mini-trips to Houston for theater, museums, galleries, etc., assuming you have time in your grad school schedule. Contrary to popular belief, Houston *does* have a nice culture scene (I worked at a museum there for a summer), and everyone should visit Austin.

There's one respectable-sized mall, and there's been a significant recent buildup of the standard commercial shopping strips on Texas Ave and University Dr (the two major thoroughfares marking the perimeter of campus). Pretty much all the major chains are there. Cost of living is exceptionally reasonable; there are lots of apartments, condos, duplexes, and small (and large) homes for rent or sale all over town. If you live of campus, parking can be a nasty expense and hassle (I think my mom's faculty/staff sticker is something like $285 per term, although I'd have to check and it may be different for students). I think prices vary depending on the parking lot, and the campus is enormous, so it's possible that after you drive to school, you'll have a 15-20 minute walk from your car to your building. I've seen students drive to their parking lot, then get on their bike to ride it to their class.

OK, this is getting kind of long, and I don't know if anyone here is even interested in going to TAMU, so I'll stop (even though this is a delightful procrastinatory measure for my Latin translation). Again, I'll try to answer any questions anyone has that I haven't touched on above.

Guest Aggie '05

I went there, and I loved it. If you have any school related questions I will be happy to cover that side of the field for you.

Thanks for the info! My fiance and I will probably be moving to college station in August, as he was accepted to the philosophy masters program at A&M. We've been looking for houses to rent that allow dogs (we have one medium size dog, and will probably be getting another large one after we're married). I guess the question I have is this: Do you know of any resources to find homes for rent? I've been to collegestationrent.com and have found a couple houses that allow pets, but I'm hoping to find more. Are there any local papers that have listings?

We're looking forward to the move. We're from the tundra of minnesota, so I'm sure there will be a notable difference. Thanks again for the info on the town!

Guest Cheryl B

The local newspaper, the Bryan/College Station Eagle, has classifieds online: http://classifieds.theeagle.com/. As I've never had to search for housing (it being my hometown and all), that's the only online source I know of. The realtor companies that I see most often while driving around town are Century 21 and Re/Max, so if you don't find anything in the classifieds, I would call them and inquire about home rentals.

Happy to help, and sorry I'm not very specific here.

Guest Texas A&M != Aggie

There is plenty of cheap housing around campus that allow dogs and you get a nice sized yard. If you emember that "gig'em" is Texan for "I am a mindless sheep", then you will find great people down there.

• 1 month later...
Guest eeguy

Texas A&M University, College Station

*housing?

*transportation?

*nightlife?

*grad programs?

*any other info?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi mea culpa! I'm currently an undergraduate living in college station, and hopefully this will help you (and anyone else interested in Bryan-College Station) out.

The cost of living in BCS is very affordable and student friendly. $23k a year should be more than enough even if you yourself do not obtain full time employment. The job market in College Station is not, unfortunately, ideal. The population of College Station practically doubles during the school year, and a fairly high percentage of students are competing for a very limited number of (desirable) jobs. I have an on campus job that's not work study based, but I think that's somewhat unusual. Nevertheless, the cost of living in BCS is below the national average.

There are a lot of different possibilities for housing in College Station. I've lived off campus with roommates for the past two years. Both years I've lived a little further from campus than your average apartment complex in BCS, and it has definetely payed off. The further you get from campus, the more you get for your money and the quieter the neighborhood.I currently live in a brand new duplex subdivision ($1150/month - 3 bedroom/3 bath - 1300 sq ft - enormous backyard) and it takes me about 10 minutes to drive to school. From what I know of friends' living situations, the average 2 bedroom apartment will run about $650-800/month. I would recommend living in College Station, but Bryan's utilities are cheaper.

One thing to keep in mind though: the parking/transportation system at Texas A&M is pretty horrible. As Cheryl B pointed out, it is not uncommon to drive to campus and still have to take a bus to get within walking distance of your classroom. Hopefully your husband will be provided with a parking permit that's close to where the majority of his classes/lab/office/whatever are, but he should be prepared for a walk even then. It can take a good 20 minutes at a brisk pace to walk from Lot 100 parking (where you pay $240 to park a mile away from campus, compete with hundreds of drivers for anything remotely close to the bus pick up spot, and then end up having to run to class to be on time despite leaving over half an hour before your class was supposed to start) to most places on campus. It is also not uncommon to graduate from Texas A&M with half a dozen parking tickets or more over the course of time spent at A&M. I would also not advise living on bus routes 22 or 36 if your husband should decide to use public transportation. My friend once had his fellow busmates hide behind cars and a building and then rush out when the bus stopped so that all of them could crowd on. If the bus driver thinks the bus is too full and s/he sees too many people at the stop, it is not uncommon for them to drive right on past and leave the students to wait for another bus.

Other than A&M's dismal transportation system, I absolutely love A&M. If you or anyone else has more questions, I would be more than happy to answer them! I'll be trading in my affordable living pretty soon for Washington DC and the UMD. I'll certainly miss the $450/month on rent and bills, cheap local restaurants, and $4 movie tickets!

• 10 months later...
Anyone....is it livable!!! I'm from the north.

Well, my sister went to TAMU for her undergraduate. I never really even considered going there, even though they have a great program in my degree/specialization, because I just couldn't stomach the idea of living in College Station.

Then again, I did go to Univ. of Texas for my undergrad.

On the plus side, it is incredibly cheap. Perhaps you could make up for the fact that there is literally nothing to do there with being able to get a 3 bedroom house for $700 a month.

To be more specific about "is it livable," if I'm from the north and I think 60-70 degrees is the ideal temperature, enjoy a crisp fall day, and start moaning that I'm too hot when the temperature hits 80...am I going to die? Is the climate going to actually make me miserable, or can you get used to huge changes like that?

I think you can handle it, if not ever really get used to it.

I have the same temperature preferences as you, and I've lived in Texas my entire life. Yes, you will be soaked with sweat if you have to walk across campus between April and October. So will everyone else.

On the other hand, you will really enjoy winter, with highs typically in the upper 50's and lower 60's.

I'm finally moving somewhere more mild, no matter which school I end up going to. But it really isn't as bad as you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give any recommendations as to "good" neighborhoods in the College Station/Bryan area? Something more specific than either "College Station" or "Bryan"? It'd be nice to find a decent, quiet area that won't break a grad student's limited budget. Maybe certain blocks and/or intersections would be a good place to start so I have something to search for in all the rental listings...

Can anyone give any recommendations as to "good" neighborhoods in the College Station/Bryan area? Something more specific than either "College Station" or "Bryan"? It'd be nice to find a decent, quiet area that won't break a grad student's limited budget. Maybe certain blocks and/or intersections would be a good place to start so I have something to search for in all the rental listings...

It's kind of hard to narrow the two cities down to neighborhoods... well at least for me. But here is a little info....

Bryan = pretty rough/"ghetto", but utilities are cheaper than in CS.

If you want quiet then don't live in the Northgate area where all the bars are.

Also avoid places like Melrose Apartments where crazy party-lovin' undergrad often live.

One of my favorite apartment complexes is Signature Park in Bryan. It's a little more expensive but it's alittle out of the way which is nice.

Check out some of the townhouses and duplexes as well. Someone them are really nice.

Waterwood Townhomes (live here, it's quiet and really nice)

The Woodlands

2818 Place

Aspen Heights

They're building a new place called "The Lofts" it looks nice.

(most undergrads)

I know a lot of married couples and graduate students live at Briarwood Apartments.

There are SO many places around, it won't be hard to find one :)

I actually think that places in Bryan would be a better place for a grad. student, since most of the undergrads live in College Station. There are also apartments right across from the campus for graduate students. And also wanted to add that not that bad, some bad spots yes, but you could def. live safely there!

A lot of grad. students and people (a lady at my job does this) place ads in the paper for roommates or someone to help them out with the rent.

Hope that helps!

Okay guys, be honest with me:

I come from Colorado, and a town of 130,000, fairly liberal, great local music and theater scene, attractive downtown, great bars, lots of activity, etc.

I really like A&M's program, but I'm nervous about the city: what do students do on the weekend, and how conservative is it? I'll be visiting at the end of March, anyone have things to check out while I'm there?

Thanks!

Okay guys, be honest with me:

I come from Colorado, and a town of 130,000, fairly liberal, great local music and theater scene, attractive downtown, great bars, lots of activity, etc.

I really like A&M's program, but I'm nervous about the city: what do students do on the weekend, and how conservative is it? I'll be visiting at the end of March, anyone have things to check out while I'm there?

Thanks!

Students usually go to Northgate on the weekend. It's a small strip of bars, right across from campus. There are also movies, very popular. (With your student ID they are 3.50), going out to eat, playing ultimate frisbee....not much. Most people travel to Austin or Houston to do things, unless you just mean partying. That can do done in College Station!

It is VERY conservative. Though it is a public institution, I don't think going to a Christian school would be that different. But as a graduate student you probably won't run into this as much. Just this week, a student wrote into the paper about how offended he was that it was printing articles promoting homosexuality as a lifestyle and that he chose A&M for its Christian environment. But like I said, I think this pertains mostly to undergraduates. Most of the professors/graduate students are VERY liberal. It's the students who are living in their bubbles. I've LOVED it here, but four years is more than enough, I'm ready to leave the bubble.

It is VERY conservative. Though it is a public institution, I don't think going to a Christian school would be that different. But as a graduate student you probably won't run into this as much. Just this week, a student wrote into the paper about how offended he was that it was printing articles promoting homosexuality as a lifestyle and that he chose A&M for its Christian environment. But like I said, I think this pertains mostly to undergraduates. Most of the professors/graduate students are VERY liberal. It's the students who are living in their bubbles. I've LOVED it here, but four years is more than enough, I'm ready to leave the bubble.

Yes, this school is VERY VERY conservative. Anyone that chooses to break the mold is somewhat hassled. I went to a Christian private uni in TX and it was far less conservative than A&M. If you love roughneck boys it is a great place for you haha. I actually nearly transfered to A&M after my freshman year because I enjoy how down to earth everyone there is compared to the entitlement that some people display at my private university. Don't expect many liberals down in College Station. However there are quite a few foreign students especially grad students so that does help with some diversty. I'm marrying an aggie, so they are great people.

Northgate has some nice bars. I enjoy going there, though I never was much of a partier.

My advisor, who attended Texas A&M as an undergrad in the 70s, said that there is a HUGE difference between the graduate/faculty and undergraduate populations. Unless you're interacting with undergraduates on a regular basis (perhaps as a 101 instructor), I doubt that the "conservative lifestyle" will really be all that affecting. I'm at a public university in the Midwest right now with a similar scenario, and while the county was overwhelmingly McCain in the election, I rarely end up finding myself in uncomfortable confrontations based on my politics and beliefs.

I agree with ielah, I'm finishing up my undergrad and 5th(!) year here and the difference between the cultures in grad students and undergrads is very different. I would say its not as bad as hornedfrogmeg (from TCU I assume) makes it sound. The student body is also large enough (almost 50,000) that you will find all types if you look hard enough, even if the overall stereotype is very conservative. I've also noticed every year seeming a little more diverse than the last, and I think each incoming class is more liberal than the last (maybe not by much, but I believe it is true).

I've noticed that you are doing political science and would probably be applying to the Bush School of Government, that department is housed in a building far from the main part of campus (right next to the Bush Presidential Library), which means while you're on campus, you'd only be dealing with people in the polisci and econ departments. The little area by the library is actually very pretty, much nicer than the rest of campus.

There isn't much to do here except drink and the music scene is mostly Texas country and local student rock bands. Northgate is not a bad little area of bars and restaurants, but not your typical "downtown." You might also want to check out some places in downtown Bryan (The bar Revolutions comes to mind) as it tends to be a little more older and some places more "liberal" crowd. Like ielah, I've enjoyed my time here but I'm ready to leave, just look at the schools I'm applying too...most are more liberal cities than college station! Downtown Austin and Houston are a 90 minute drive away (the outskirts even less) if you need a city and both have good cultural stuff (Austin is the "live music capital" of the world, Houston has great theaters and museums) so its really not that bad. Also, google MSC OPAS, we do get a few broadway type plays every year coming through.

Anyways, if you really like the program I'm sure you would be fine. I would just imagine it would be bit different than what you are used to.

Liberal = already covered...

Great local music is in Austin, TX. I'm sure the bars have bands too, but Texas' music scene is Austin.

Theatre scene...

Texas A&M gets touring productions of Broadway musicals through MSC OPAS. While they are typically the very last legs of these tours, the productions are not bad. They are still professional and are professionally cast. Many of the shows happen in A&M's own Rudder Auditorium. For more info visit: http://opas.tamu.edu/

Then for community theater in the area you can look at StageCenter Theater at http://www.stagecenter.net/home/ and Brazon Valley TROUPE at http://www.bvtroupe.com/. The Theatre Company is notable and well respected as well. Their web site is www.theatrecompany.com.

Additionally, I'm sure TAMU's theater department does stuff as well.

Then you can always see what is going on in Houston with Theatre Under the Stars (www.tuts.com), Broadway Across America: Houston (http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/Houston), and the world famous Alley Theatre (http://www.alleytheatre.org/alley/Default_EN.asp).

Downtown College Station is small, but very attractive. It has a small town charm and appeal, while offering things you would expect to find in an urbanized area.

Since, I do not live in College Station, I really know nothing about their bars; however, Club Halo does a GREAT drag show if you are interested in that.

As far as things to check out... I do not really know. However, I will tell you that you should not pass up an opportunity to eat at The Dixie Chicken or at Freebird's!

Enjoy your visit... I hope everything works out well for you!