How many credits per semester?

It's standard to take three classes -- usually it's required, with TA -- and that translates to nine credits. Any more than that and you risk being seriously overwhelmed.

One of those classes will also most likely be a TA practicum, which is beneficial in two ways: it will cut down on the "real" work you have to do, and it will give you strategies for teaching -- some of them too late to implement in the first semester, but still.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of 3, 3 credit classes and a mandatory 1 credit class for the two semesters which sounds about right. I don't think the 1 credit course is particularly difficult.

Best,

StudyMom

eh, in my experience the TA practicum is 1-2 credits so you take 9 hours of "real" classes along with it.

Well, not in mine, and neither in the master's program I'm just finishing. I'd be surprised if a PhD program requires incoming TA's to take a practicum in addition to three graduate seminars + teaching, but I guess it depends on how intensive the practicum is. It seems to be a trend that they're getting longer and more intensive, thus being offered for full credit.

• 10 months later...

Brown requires 3 per semester plus Professionalization workshop, but we have 0 workload the first year. All incoming students come in on departmental fellowships until we get training in Pedagogy. After that its 3 a semester plus T/A responsibilities until completion of exams. At least this is what I've been told. I won't start until this Fall.

Good topic - the funding package from one of my schools specifies that the tuition remission aspect covers up to 12 credit hours per semester, plus 6 in the summer, and I was wondering whether that was enough (it seemed low compared to undergrad and law school). Sounds like it is.

Good topic - the funding package from one of my schools specifies that the tuition remission aspect covers up to 12 credit hours per semester, plus 6 in the summer, and I was wondering whether that was enough (it seemed low compared to undergrad and law school). Sounds like it is.

My law school tuition covered up to 18 credits, and I never really took that many law classes. I would use the other credits for fun things like figure skating and golf. Can you do that in grad school too?

At my current program, we take 6 credits and teach 6 (I know, too much teaching). I'm surprised to hear so many people teaching on top of taking 9 credits. Even just teaching 3 credits would be a lot on top of 9, though maybe not as bad if you're TA-ing a class taught by a professor.